Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not specifically in motorhomes though, domestic fitting, they are identical anyway. 8 years ago I changed all the smoke detectors in the house for new, eight in all. I test them regularly and change the batteries as required, not as directed. Last night one of the detectors failed, gave a dying squeal and that was it. Today I have replaced it and actually read the instructions.

It is recommended to renew them every five years, guidance on the web says eight to ten years. What do others do?

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We use fire angel 10 year life sealed battery units in a large rental property portfolio. They have a recommended change date stamped on them. (Don’t buy stock that is too old)

Rarely any problems but backed by a good warranty if needed. Simple email of problem and photos of unit and they send a replacement.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I hard wired my detectors , but they still have a 9v battery as back up in case of mains failure..
They emit a cherping sound when the batteries need changing.. i rely on the grand kids to tell me when that happens :LOL::LOL:..
I thought most smoke detectors would give some sort of warning when the batteries need changing , but if tested regularly you will know ..(y)
Andy.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I test ours regularly but this one failed, started squealing at a low volume. Changed battery and just the same. I've renewed it and will probably change all the others, they do have a finite life. Many thanks for all the comments

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
they do have a finite life
Co alarms definately do have a finite life due to the nature of the detacting mechanism.. the test button on these only checks battery function...
Smoke detectors eit her ionisation or optical are a different matter.. they can and do last for years..
My parents have one in their house i put in in the 1970's ..still going strong..
The ones i have in the house are again still functioning and i put them in in the early 90's..
Im reading that most bodies seem to suggest replacement at around 10 to 20 years.. it seems to vary...along with rather poor reasoning for doing so other than they are old..:D..
Andy..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back