Smelly water problems (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have had a Y plate Hobby 600 for 4 years and use it throughout the winter as well as the summer but there may be 6 or 7 weeks between uses in winter but I will need it at a few hours notice to use it then. For this reason I don't drain the fresh water. I don't normally have any probs with the water but occasionally the water from the cold water kitchen tap smells of bad eggs. I know this is a common problem and I use a cleaning chlorine based product on it to clear it. The bathroom tap water doesn't smell, and neither do either hot water taps Its OK for a long time but then starts again.
Apart from completely changing the water line to this tap what can I do to stop this starting again.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I use these, might be worth a try.
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't use chlorine bases products as it attacks stainless steel in the water heater. The water is sour, I would drop it and clean the system using clean water and the product pp bear suggests.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Try just flushing a few times with fresh water and draining down. I would disagree with the use of the description of it as a fresh water system if you leave the same water in for 6 or 7 weeks!!! and would drain it down every time it only takes 10 minutes to fill

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Agree with @Badknee we long term in our van and because the water is filled and used regularly its always fresh as in your taps at home sort of , i reckon , maybe , hope so (y)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Are you sure the smell is from the tap? Could it be from water left in the drain trap - or that drain drying out and letting the smell from the grey tank into the sink?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what most people consider fresh water is anything but fresh. it is treated water and contains chemicals and bacteria, leave it to go "stale" and it gives of a bad smelling odour

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thanks for the advice and replies. To cover a few of the points raised
Yes it is definitely the water out the tap that smells and not from the grey waste tank.
As I live in a first floor flat with double yellow lines outside the entrance and the parking area about 50yds away filling with water is not an easy job
The cleaner I use is a recommended one from my local camping shop and smells chlorine but I'm not sure if it is chlorine

The thing I don't understand is if the water has turned bad why is it only the water out of this one outlet that smells and this smell disappears after you run it for a while

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I'm sure there was a recent thread about the nozzles on kitchen taps being blocked with "gunge"?
Is there a filter / nozzle on the tap? Removable?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The thing I don't understand is if the water has turned bad why is it only the water out of this one outlet that smells and this smell disappears after you run it for a while
the water going bad creates a nasty smelling gas, this rises through the pipework to the easiest point...often the kitchen tap

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
No, chlorine free.

Used for drinking water and sterilising brewing equipment and bottles etc, as well as drinking equipment etc.

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure there was a recent thread about the nozzles on kitchen taps being blocked with "gunge"?
Is there a filter / nozzle on the tap? Removable?
My taps have a screw off outlet with a removable filter. Removed them a while ago and was surprised at the amount of muck in them so will check regularly. It also restricted the water flow which is a tell tale sign.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you bought your MH second hand as from your post you must have, is it possible that a previous owner fitted an in line filter somewhere, and this has not been changed for years as no later owner would know about it. The MH of a friend had a whale aquapur filter in line, in a rear locker, which had been there for many years. They should be changed annually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back