Smell of gas.... (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globestar
Globecar Campscout 2016

Hi Guys

We been getting an intermittent smell of gas, I`ve tried isolating cooker/heater but it still remains.
I`ve also isolated the gas cupboard but it still remains for at least 24hrs. The gauze in the bottom of the cupboard is clear.
So my question/questions are do all gas cupboards smell of gas ? Could it be emanating from the actual cylinder tap when open? Could it be the cupboard door seal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
I

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
propane in it's natural state has no odder .. . so an odorant called mercaptan, commonly called 'stench' is added to it in the refinery so it can be detected if their is a leak..

When the gas is low in the bottle, the reduced pressure causes the odorant to evaporate making the gas smell stronger than usual. The extra chemical doesn’t burn completely with the propane so you will smell it when a stove burner is lit...

This stench can linger many hours after you have been cooking.. we smell it at home the next day when our LPG bottle we use for cooking Is low

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
It`s had 2 gas checks, 1 quite recently.....
In domestic gas you are allowed a certain amount of leakage ( pressure drop ) to account for valves movable parts etc, but the regulations state that this is acceptable as long as there is no smell of gas.
So as you say you have had this checked out.
I would suggest that the smell maybe coming from the high pressure side of the regulator which may not have been checked, only a thought.
This can easily be done by yourself using a leak detection spray and spraying everything including the valves on top of the bottles the connecting hoses and the regulator itself.
Don’t be shy on the amount you use. Hope this is helpful good luck.
Billy 😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not long after we bought our van we had an intermittent gas smell that I couldn't initially trace. Eventually found the gas connection to the Truma boiler was not quite done up tight - actually the boiler mount screws had loosened and it was moving about causing the pipe to loosen off, dodgy!
Just to add, when I refill abroad I always make sure the adapter is left out in the open for a minute before storing as the smell lingers on it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A quick DIY test to see if your gas is leaking can be done by turn on gas bottle/tank then turn it off wait a minute or two then turn on a cooker ring, listen for gas escaping.If no noise then you have a leak somewhere.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I had a gas leak that took some finding, it was found eventually in the gaslow gauge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have rubber pig tails. They make the gas locker smell a bit, but no odour in the hab area. Just to be sure I might go for stainless hoses.
I am fairly sure there are no leaks as the dealer had it recently and would not let me have it back until they had sorted a very small leak after fitting a bbq outlet.
I hate gas 😱

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This can easily be done by yourself using a leak detection spray and spraying everything including the valves on top of the bottles the connecting hoses and the regulator itself.
Don’t be shy on the amount you use. Hope this is helpful good luck.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

buy from any DIY store.. Screwfix sell it..

don't be tempted to just use soapy water.. it can corrode the fittings ..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back