Sim Only (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Hi after a bit of help from anyone with a bit of tech know-how.
My phone sim deal with EE is due for renewal, (I pay £37 a month for 4gb data, unlimited calls/texts). I was looking at going to a sim only with Vodafone £8 month for 9gb.
Was thinking about usage in motorhome, for iPad/MacBook/phone for streaming the odd movie, will have terrestrial tv in mh so will only use now and again for streaming. Would I be better off going for an unlimited data deal ?
Cheers
Peter.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Unlimited data deals give you limited data abroad. I’m with EE, sim only and have a bigger usage than you, and only pay £9 per month for your info.

OP
OP
PCmag
Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
I paid the £37 to acquire a good phone 18 months ago. Worked out cheaper than buying phone outright.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Does depend on how long your willing to keep your phone for, I generally keep a hand set for 3 to 4 years then the misses has it.
She’s still using my old iPhone 5 and it’s still going strong, did replace the battery before she had it.
So buying the phone outright and going sim only can work out a lot cheaper.
Personally I would stick with EE as they have the best coverage everywhere I’ve been.
Unlimited can be a bit over the top for the cost.
If your going sim only try around 20Gb at first you could easily go higher.
I’ve been watching YouTube videos at tea breaks and lunch at work 1/2hour each this month as well as other times using data to see how much data I could use and I’ve only just done 10Gb of data out of 60Gb for just over £20.
Every time the cost increase for the retail price increase I upgrade to the next level for the same or as last year less per month and more data.
I also use phone data in the Moho for streaming and for the hotspot for the wife to use as she’s on PAYG. with 3. home and abroad.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
My wife's had a 2 year contract with EE. £32 PM included buying the phone and 20 GB data unlimited texts and minutes.

Contract was ending 8th August and we were keen to stay with EE as it was best coverage at home (no land line)

Contacted EE on 18 July and they gave us new 18 month contract there and then for £20 PM, 80gb data unlimited texts and minutes.
No porting of number. Pro rata pricing on next bill, new contract appeared on 'My EE' within 24 hours.

Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I have always found EE very willing to negotiate, especially if you mention “I’m thinking of leaving” into the discussion 👍🏻👍🏻

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
£8 for 9 GB is ok. I only get 8 with Three. It all I need at home and abroad for a month. I've been buying my own phone's for the last 19 years. Latest one is a Chinese Redmi 7. Superb bit of kit and around £110 from Amazon

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have a Three mifi, away in the north east last few weeks , had a laptop on it and 2 ipads, its a pay as you go with unlimited at £33 per month, if I don't want that much I can change it to lower cost for when the month is up. and I top up. the Mifi is brilliant on the move or stationary

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Any of these suit? They are 30 day contracts, so can be changed with only a months notice!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are a quite a few threads running about sims at the moment, the cheapest appears to be a Vodaphone 100gb one for £20 a month from Vodaphone direct but if you look a the below discounter websites you'll be able to see how much better the deals are via them.

www.fonehouse.co.uk
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
PCmag
Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Thanks for replies, I'll give EE a ring and see what they offer, I have been with them for years so. might get a good sim only deal through them.
Cheers

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just got a sim only,£20pm, 24mc for 80gb m unlimited texts&mins, limited to 50gb m while in EU. In the EE shop deal with paper contract in my hand.

OP
OP
PCmag
Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Phoned EE and went over to sim only 20gb data, unlimited mins & texts, 12 month contract for £15 a month, that will be more than enough for what I need.
Thanks for help.

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
I've just ordered Smarty Sim Only deal, 1-month plan so can cancel anytime gives you 30GB and unlimited calls and texts, it piggybacks off 3Network.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yep another vote for Smarty from me. Unlimited calls and texts plus 30Gb data per month, which is limited to 20Gb in Europe. And only 30 day rolling contract. Got a recommendation from someone and me and them both got a month free. If you follow the link above the same will happen.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I'm considering the Smarty 1 month contract. We are heading into Europe for 3 months, France, Italy, Switzerland, and as I work remotely I use a lot of data. I did have a 50GB Vodafone contract which I cancelled in March when we had to come back into the UK due to the rush home because of Covid. To get around the 20GB data cap, I'm considering purchasing 2 of the Smarty SIMs on the 30GB monthly contract and just swap them over when one uses its full monthly allowance. It seems to be about the best deal I can find for this amount of usage without being tied into a 12 or 24 month contract. I'm not aware of anything else which will give me this much data

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm considering the Smarty 1 month contract. We are heading into Europe for 3 months, France, Italy, Switzerland, and as I work remotely I use a lot of data. I did have a 50GB Vodafone contract which I cancelled in March when we had to come back into the UK due to the rush home because of Covid. To get around the 20GB data cap, I'm considering purchasing 2 of the Smarty SIMs on the 30GB monthly contract and just swap them over when one uses its full monthly allowance. It seems to be about the best deal I can find for this amount of usage without being tied into a 12 or 24 month contract. I'm not aware of anything else which will give me this much data
If you do that try this link and you will get a free month (it will be the second month) and so will I! I am not sure that you can have two in the same name, but you can each have one

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
apparently you need to register each one with a different email address and that way you can get more than one of them

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
I rang EE last year to cancel my sim only deal . They bent over backward to keep me and offered me a deal that I couldn't refuse. Unlimited calls and texts, 5Gb data £5 per month ! Have you tried ringing to cancel and asked what's the best they can do ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back