Sim for 11 months in Europe? (2 Viewers)

Canimanson

Free Member
Sep 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi! I'm looking for the cheapest way to get a phone sim that will allow me to go to Europe for up to 11 months and tether my laptop occasionally. I guess I will need about 4 or 5G data a month. Is there a solution?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was going to suggest "3" PAYG, which have a 12 month "life", but apparently after around 2 months abroad 3 switches them off. You probably could get round it by buying several simcards then when one "stops" use the next but that would probably be expensive given your planned useage.

Only other thing I can think of is buy a simcard for each country you visit but there are others better experienced at this who will be along shortly. Which countries are you planning to visit and for how long in each?

OP
OP
Canimanson

Canimanson

Free Member
Sep 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi TerryL, I've looked into buying a bunch of 3 sims, but I read somewhere that they need to be activated in the UK. I don't know if this is true but if it is, it wouldn't work and I would have wasted a lot of money.

Buying local sims is a possibility, but not ideal with the language issues, problems with APN?, problems topping up and activating them, and then having data unused or not enough as time in each country is unknown.

I'm planning to wander about in Europe so have no fixed schedule, but certainly France, Spain, Portugal, Greece.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi TerryL, I've looked into buying a bunch of 3 sims, but I read somewhere that they need to be activated in the UK. I don't know if this is true but if it is, it wouldn't work and I would have wasted a lot of money.

Buying local sims is a possibility, but not ideal with the language issues, problems with APN?, problems topping up and activating them, and then having data unused or not enough as time in each country is unknown.

I'm planning to wander about in Europe so have no fixed schedule, but certainly France, Spain, Portugal, Greece.

I take several 3 data sims with me, 12gb from my memory about 23£ at the moment and I've never had problems when first used... the last a year but you can get kicked of after about 3mths but that never happens to us as one only lasts about 2-3 weeks....:eek: but they can go on for 4mths and I've have got 13-14gb sometimes... if you take some and you get locked out after 3mths, keep them and they will reactivate when back in the uk..

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's 120 days use now with 3then they charge you 73pence a megabyte which would work out very expensive so I've bought a payg sim for when I've used up that time.and I'll buy a few local Sims on my way round.
Plus I can only use 12gb of my paid for 32gb data allowance from 3 with a rolling contract which will be terminated after my 120 days use.

OP
OP
Canimanson

Canimanson

Free Member
Sep 13, 2017
Funster No
I take several 3 data sims with me, 12gb from my memory about 23£ at the moment and I've never had problems when first used... the last a year but you can get kicked of after about 3mths but that never happens to us as one only lasts about 2-3 weeks....:eek: but they can go on for 4mths and I've have got 13-14gb sometimes... if you take some and you get locked out after 3mths, keep them and they will reactivate when back in the uk..

This could be it!!! Thanks! I don't need to make calls, I can use VoIP.

OP
OP
Canimanson

Canimanson

Free Member
Sep 13, 2017
Funster No
Oh Smith and Sharp... if I put one of those data sims in my phone, would I be able to tether to my laptop?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oh Smith and Sharp... if I put one of those data sims in my phone, would I be able to tether to my laptop?

No, well I don't think so...? I use mine in my HUAWEI mifi, only a 3G one but have never failed to get a signal all over Europe. I might add that since the roaming charges have been abolished we are getting a lot faster wifi and more 4g.... I will upgrade when I get back to uk...(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have a uk Vodafone contract which I took out on 15 June, when roaming charges were abolished, £34 pm for 16gb and unlimited calls and texts. They told me categorically ( and in writing) that it will work for the duration of my 24 month contract all over Europe with no throttling or suspension. ( despite what the T&C say)

Only been over a few days, will update in a few months if this holds true!
If they cut me off, I will simply default on the contract;)

Screenshot_20170722-201827.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back