Sigma Alarm/Immobiliser Issue. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

The Sigma S30, Fitted O/E by Brownhills, for the first owners?. Has a few "quirks" but was (I thought) reasonably bullet proof. However last week I inadvertently opened a locker whilst the system was "Set", which SHOULD have set it away?. Nothing happened!. I did some "elimination" checks, reset tried again etc; still no alarm. This included the "hab" door too. The interior sensors work OK.

Having spoken to Cobra, who agent them, the likely hood is that one or more of the magnetic switches has failed.

As there must by a substantial number of these about (Brownhills where fitting them to many of their sales over a No Of Years apparently?) I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and effected a solution?. Before I start ripping switches out etc;

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I had sigma on a 2005 autocruise. The reed switch on a locker door failed. I replaced it and all ok. They are not specials. I used a changeover type reed, cant remember if i needed the make or break contact. Easy to test reed switch using multimeter on ohms after you have isolated it from the system.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Di
I had sigma on a 2005 autocruise. The reed switch on a locker door failed. I replaced it and all ok. They are not specials. I used a changeover type reed, cant remember if i needed the make or break contact. Easy to test reed switch using multimeter on ohms after you have isolated it from the system.

Did the system Fail to alarm?, OR did it constantly Trigger?. Because mine will not "Arm up" I suspect the system is wired NC. And is closed by the closing the lockers and "Arming Process", assuming the system finds no "loop" it fails to arm the alarm.?

What puzzles me is IF that is the case, the alarm should not set, but should I would have assumed, give an audible or visual warning?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Di

Did the system Fail to alarm?, OR did it constantly Trigger?. Because mine will not "Arm up" I suspect the system is wired NC. And is closed by the closing the lockers and "Arming Process", assuming the system finds no "loop" it fails to arm the alarm.

What puzzles me is IF that is the case, the alarm should not set, but should I would have assumed, give an audible or visual warning?.

Sorry, cant remember. I was a few years ago.............

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
The magnetic door closes can be purchased from anyone who sells alarms. And will be probably be a bit cheaper than Brownhills

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The magnetic door closes can be purchased from anyone who sells alarms. And will be probably be a bit cheaper than Brownhills

I had switches fail a couple of times and got replacements at Maplins (other retailers are available). I bought changeover types and I can't remember if it is NC or NO. I did make an adaptation to make them easier to fit but I can't remember what I did (they are still in situ so I could go and look it up when it stops raining if you want me to).

Unfortunately, the whole system packed up when I arrived home at 1.30am after a long drive back from the south coast, thus waking up many in the street. Brownhills charged me £80ish to tell me that the ECU was kaput. Vanbitz replaced the whole system for approx £550 (and they offer a FUN discount).

Gordon

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect that where I "in the market" for a System, I would do the Vanbitz Route. Both my R-V`s had "strikeback" on them. But at the moment if the "loop" can be restored then it will be more that adequate for current needs. And the M-H is parked behind Locked gates under 24/7 CCTV, uploaded to the "Cloud".

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have a growler fitted and a reed switch has gone on one of the lockers, I've sourced a supplier of the same make maxhunt and will replace it myself, it's easy to do and costs about £2.50 ....

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No Argument with that, although we did have some "fun" with "spurious" alarms which was corrected, and eventually put down to the actions of one or more rodents, having found some obscure wiring with evidence of having been part of the "Food Chain"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a growler fitted and a reed switch has gone on one of the lockers, I've sourced a supplier of the same make maxhunt and will replace it myself, it's easy to do and costs about £2.50 ....
Probably not worth it LOL If we did the Growler for you, our original customer, you'll have a lifetime warranty(y)

We only charge £2.99 for a contact anyway(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Probably not worth it LOL If we did the Growler for you, our original customer, you'll have a lifetime warranty(y)

We only charge £2.99 for a contact anyway(y)

I'm not the original customer, so no warranty or service.....

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I think you'll find that the reed switch on the Sigma is NO (normally open) and are widely available. That's what my Cobra system uses.

I had Eddie's Strikeback on my previous van and the contacts were normally closed NC (to enable continuous monitoring of the system). These are far more difficult to source.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You can transfer all the records and documentation over into your name. We need to see a copy of the V5 document in your name and we make a one off charge of £20.00

Once transferred we will access your records and can send you if you require, free of charge, new insurance documentation in your name, replacement operation instructions and be able to give you free telephone assistance, having access to the detailed installation notes complied at the time the Growler system was fitted.

Should you need relacements or spares in the future, replacements for lost radio keys for example, we will be able to replace these easily, without fuss as we know that your the legal owner of the motorhome.

Obviously we have to have some system setup, as if our customer "Mr & Mrs A" pays us to put a security system in their motorhome, it would be plainly stupid to provide "Mr & Mrs B" with replacement radio keys and technical information about Mr & Mrs A's system

But, if "Mr & Mrs B" have bought the motorhome and would like some future back up and support we have to have a system to prove they legally own the motorhome and can be assisted.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
mine also has the S30 fitted by Brownhills I believe, all seems to work but I have no pin number for the keypad. googled a few times and come up with a couple of ideas from the Scooby forum but does anyone have a definitive method of changing the pin without knowing the original?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You can transfer all the records and documentation over into your name. We need to see a copy of the V5 document in your name and we make a one off charge of £20.00

Once transferred we will access your records and can send you if you require, free of charge, new insurance documentation in your name, replacement operation instructions and be able to give you free telephone assistance, having access to the detailed installation notes complied at the time the Growler system was fitted.

Should you need relacements or spares in the future, replacements for lost radio keys for example, we will be able to replace these easily, without fuss as we know that your the legal owner of the motorhome.

Obviously we have to have some system setup, as if our customer "Mr & Mrs A" pays us to put a security system in their motorhome, it would be plainly stupid to provide "Mr & Mrs B" with replacement radio keys and technical information about Mr & Mrs A's system

But, if "Mr & Mrs B" have bought the motorhome and would like some future back up and support we have to have a system to prove they legally own the motorhome and can be assisted.

Already done that and I wasn't impressed with the customer service experience I received I'm afraid....

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
OK, so I got round to Checking the "mag Switches", which appear to be functioning as per they should (open and close in "proximity" to the magnet). I am now faced with tracing the wiring for Breaks. But in order to do that I could do to know where Brownthings buried the control system. I ASSUME it is somewhere under, behind or beneath the dash, but before I go ripping large chunks of Motorhome out. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I would best be looking, to save me some time and busted fingers!. Maybe someone out there who has a Brownthings fitted system has seen theirs, as techies being notoriously well known for un-originality would be most likely to use the same place / space every time!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Mine was under the dashboard, in the space between the original Mercedes bulkhead and the Rapido fibreglass skin, just above the front nearside wheel.

HTH Gordon

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Mine was under the dashboard, in the space between the original Mercedes bulkhead and the Rapido fibreglass skin, just above the front nearside wheel.

HTH Gordon

Cheers, I suspect mine (fiat coach built:(, not "A" class:() will be somewhere behind the Instrument panel. But wanted to see if anyone else had accessed theirs, and a clue to where Brownthings, habitually place them!. Before I start Ripping out acres of Dashboard!.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Late to the party Pete, but mine (on X244 Ducato coachbuilt) is under the instruments pod, where the speedometer etc lives. 4 torx screws and the whole pod lifts out, easy peasy.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@PeteH You may well find they fitted the system with scotch locks.

Mine was originally fitted at Browns and I was less than impressed finding out how it was wired.
I found this out when I was fitting a tracker, needless to say its now soldered wires.

Might be worth checking the connections around the ignition key area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back