Shoes!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Where on earth is the best place to store shoes (and, even worse, boots)? We've tried the cupboard under the island bed, but they get all jumbled up and it's not good for my bad back scrambling around in there trying to find a matching glass slipper (nb Mrs SmithsInFrance reporting!)

Infuriatingly, Mr SIF seems to think that storing at least one pair right by the door or under the table is a good idea. That would be bad enough if they were my size 3s, but his size enormous make it a real hazard.

I'm thinking of putting pairs together in individual plastic bags and then stacking in a plastic storage basket which we will keep in the shower. Bulky but light and easy to lift in and out for those few minutes each day when you take a shower.

Any other ideas???

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a plastic lidded box that holds 2 pars of boots or whatever the current need is it lives under the van at the hab door or in the shower :whistle: dependent on time of year and weather.

also we have 2 IKEA fabric type boxes that fit the bottom of the wardrobe sort of "his and hers"..

i still get shouted at for leaaving my walking shoes in " convenient" places though...:oops:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We take loads of shoes with us I think I have 6 or 7 pairs probably more in the van on a typical trip the boss has more.
Most used ones, hers in the bottom of the wardrobe, mine in the box under the side seat in lounge, walking boots in a side locker, not so often used ones in the underfloor storage box.

138go

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Here you go loads of room and keeps the smell out of the motorhome

$_35.jpg

Bit pricey for a shoe locker though .. :):):cool:

Shower sounds like a good idea but don't know about bagging everything. We use our shower for storing outdoor coats etc as it does not take long to empty when we have a shower.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Here you go loads of room and keeps the smell out of the motorhome

View attachment 277853

Bit pricey for a shoe locker though .. :):):cool:

Shower sounds like a good idea but don't know about bagging everything. We use our shower for storing outdoor coats etc as it does not take long to empty when we have a shower.
No, shoes need to be inside :) Keep forgetting to hang outdoor coats in the shower, great idea - Mr SIF also likes to block the hab door with his bulky coats on the hooks by the door. Don't know why I bring him really, with his big shoes and big coats... ;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Another Funster introduced me to those really big elastic bands to squash pairs of shoes together. Once that done they take up a bit less room in a cupboard ... plus stay in pairs.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
One of these each, so shoes don’t get jumbled up together. They are not rigid so can mould into a shelf easier. The bags are good enough to keep even grubby shoes indoors without making a mess, and you can drag one bag out knowing that all your shoes are in there and none of his!

6B1F347B-D10E-45A4-824C-3A610D9CF122.jpeg

We had loads of room in our old van to put both bags on one shelf in the wardrobe.

New van doesn’t have as much internal storage but we still have space in the wardrobe for a shoe bag!

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
How many shoes do you need? You only have two feet. :D...... Or are you from Norfolk.
!!!! Females ALWAYS need more than one pair (unless travelling on Ryanair and too mean to pay for luggage in the hold, so clothes take preference...)

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Another Funster introduced me to those really big elastic bands to squash pairs of shoes together. Once that done they take up a bit less room in a cupboard ... plus stay in pairs.
Yes!!! big elastic bands would be much better than trying to find neat little plastic bags and keep them neatly together (y)

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
One of these each, so shoes don’t get jumbled up together. They are not rigid so can mould into a shelf easier. The bags are good enough to keep even grubby shoes indoors without making a mess, and you can drag one bag out knowing that all your shoes are in there and none of his!

View attachment 277868
We had loads of room in our old van to put both bags on one shelf in the wardrobe.

New van doesn’t have as much internal storage but we still have space in the wardrobe for a shoe bag!
Brilliant idea using those bags and with the shoes paired with elastic bands would work really well. Think we could run to a bag each ;). Bag more flexible and 'shoeshaped' than the basket I was thinking of.
We don't have room in wardrobe but these bags would still work well in the shower. Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Ikea sell a fabric hanging shoe 'rack', concertina type thingy that I hang in the wardrobe, could also hang in the shower if you wanted it to.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
we keep the shoes in one of those plastic underbed low containers (with no lid on) on the overcab bed, when on site we drop it down in between the front seats so you can chuck wet and dirty footwear in it and keep the doorway clear

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We chuck ours in the bottom of the wardrobe and find it difficult to find the right or left one. I only need walking boots, trainers for driving and sandals. SWMBO needs many more. Something to keep pairs together sounds a very good idea.

Nasher

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My van has a cubby hole by the wheel arch that my motorbike race boots & paragliding boots go in

Other than that, I wear my trainers, except when I'm in bed when they are left on the floor:)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
51S7CjX03lL._SL1206_.jpg
Alezywels Over the Door Shoe Organizer (24 Pockets) Hanging Closet Organizer and Space Saver, Thick Oxford Fabric, Heavy-Duty Hang Hooks, Flexible Wall Rack, Supports Men and Women (White)

Save £5 by signing into the Amazon App. Learn more.

by Alezywels

Price: £12.99 on Amazon

WE use this (slightly cut down to fit the door of our garage) works very well :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
View attachment 277916 Alezywels Over the Door Shoe Organizer (24 Pockets) Hanging Closet Organizer and Space Saver, Thick Oxford Fabric, Heavy-Duty Hang Hooks, Flexible Wall Rack, Supports Men and Women (White)
Save £5 by signing into the Amazon App. Learn more.

by Alezywels

Price: £12.99 on Amazon

We use this (slightly cut down to fit the door of our garage) works very well :)
Snap. Works well. We secured it to the garage door with strong sticky hooks - no drilling or scratching of doors from the hooks.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We chuck ours in the bottom of the wardrobe and find it difficult to find the right or left one. I only need walking boots, trainers for driving and sandals. SWMBO needs many more. Something to keep pairs together sounds a very good idea.
That used to be us. But we've got solutions now ;)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

View attachment 277868

Need a ditto we mostly keep them in a bag in the shower. or in the garage if we don't take the bike. there is a lovely little space behind the water tank where I keep my 'spares that John doesn't know about' fine for my size 4s but his don't fit. Last van we kept them under the drivers seat but this one has the charger there.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Love the idea of the Door Shoe Organiser - though not for shoes, would be too bulky and heavy and have to think about my back all the time. BUT briliant idea for lightweight general storage, will definitely

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Stacking collapsible crates from IKEA under the bed. They have internal dividers so pairs can't get jumbled up.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
it's a good idea but not for us and our MH - that's where we've been storing them and prompted my post. We've both got bad backs and it's not that easily accessible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back