Selling ones motorhome truthfully. (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
John.

Someone selling their Motorhome

For sale: Beautiful Hobby Siesta 555 Motorhome. 2013. 5-berth. Only 13,000 miles. Excellent condition. £31k ono.

It’s a fantastic van, perfect layout for a family of 4, but please read on before you buy as I want you to be sure this is something you really want. We bought it a few months ago and, as you’re about to read, discovered the motorhome life is not for us....

Basically, it will suit anyone who hasn't tried motorhoming yet and is in need of a really stressful, totally exhausting holiday experience.

Yes, you too can have a try at driving non-stop at pitifully slow speeds with the stench of a chemical toilet wafting constantly under your nose. It will do 70-80mph comfortably and if you do decide to go above 55mph you have the added entertainment value of watching the fuel needle as it moves quickly downwards while reminding you that your holiday money is fast being whittled away on diesel.

This is described elsewhere as a ‘luxury’ motorhome although in order to really feel comfortable it will help if you’re not yet fully grown and have no history of claustrophobia. Our three-year-old found it perfect.

The ingenious 'Sleep-no-More' compartments which were introduced to motorhomes in the 1970's mean you get to spend the whole night trying to get some kip. The mattresses are as soft and fluffy as our patio and, if you keep the windows closed, you can experience 'a cheap high' due to the distinct lack of oxygen.

Wait, there's more... one of the truly great things about motorhoming is you get to spend every single spare minute of your holiday packing, unpacking and repacking boxes so that everything fits... and then do it all again when you realise you left your keys, your daughter’s crayons or your wife’s shoes in the bottom box. Bizarrely, most motorhomers think this is fun. Yay!

Oh, and you'll never be bored... there's always something to fix. Whether it's the window or skylight you left open before getting on the auto-route, the door handle that your children like to swing on, or any of the million-and-one crappy little plastic fixings that were put there with the specific intention of having you contact the manufacturer for a replacement at a stupidly high price.

As you’ll see from the pictures, it has a lovely shower room/toilet and a fitted ‘kitchen’. Our daughter has a 2-foot high wooden dolls house which has a similar sized kitchen but don't let floor space put you off - this comes complete with a sink in which you can fit a whole coffee mug and a hob on which you can practice the forgotten art of 'one-pot-cooking'. The oven is immaculate as it hasn't been used – we weren't able to find an item of food that would fit.

The shower looks great doesn’t it? And if you have the physique of a broom handle it will serve you perfectly. I’ll tell you about the toilet in a minute.

Driving this thing is a one-of-a-kind experience. Have you ever driven a cement mixer? I's very similar. It is also a chiropractor’s dream. After a few hundred miles you’ll soon notice you’ve developed a painful stoop from ducking every time you drive under a bridge, hoping and praying you don’t lose your bedroom.

But of course, the biggest advantage of a motorhome is the freedom it brings and this is where they really come into their own. After driving for twelve hours to make your ferry booking, you can simply pull over in your exhausted, weary state… and sleep in a noisy, shitty service station. Come on, what could be better? Erm, a hotel?

Finally, there's the toilet. Is this a joke? Are motorhome designers and manufacturers secretly pissing themselves having pulled off the prank of the century? For those who haven't experienced one of these creations this is the process...

The chemical toilet basically provides the means to not only relieve yourself without using public conveniences but also to perform Gillian Mackeith-style health checks on every traveller in the motorhome.

Yes, if you're the not-so-democratically-elected 'emptier' of this disgusting device (as is every man) you get to see, smell and even TASTE (unfortunately for me, I found 'splash backs' at the disposal points to be quite common) the faecal deposits of your entire family. It can only be described as a very shitty job.

So... on that note, if you'd like to try motorhoming and have a go at spending your next holiday in a luxurious but very smelly, slow-moving, cramped box on wheels, pm me (Rob).
Happy trucking…

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
But he forgot to mention fading brakes or fitting snow chains on mountain passes, or the constant need to wave to other idiots coming the other way. But worst of all waking up at a fun meeting with a hangover to find the neighbours are still partying.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have a feeling he isn't cut out for a motorhome :)

Maybe he could try a tent next...

Really made me laugh. Thanks for posting :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Very funny, poor man.. but apart from the cost of parts I can thankfully say none of that applies to me...

Deleted User
Describes exactly how I felt about it for the first 6 months of motorhome ownership, no choice then but to decide, get shot or change your approach to it all. Changed my approach and now a few years down the road see the van as a friend and not the enemy. Can't deny he's on the button, most of his observations ring true.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
He's just a 'hotel' person......whereas I hate hotels with a passion....stuck in a boxy room (no matter how posh and we've stayed in some posh hotel suites) with absolutely nothing to do....having to eat crummy food cooked by who knows whom, using who kows 'what???? ...And one has to drive many more miles between hotels than one has to in a MH. Nay....give me my own place any day...but it was hilariously funny.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Never mind. By the time somebody comes to look at it, it wont be there! After all, it is a Transit :eek: Saves all the hassle of selling it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Someone needs to offer him silly money for the MH as he probably take any amount to get rid. Shame rearly sounds like he does not like spending quality time with his family

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
He described it as a " box on wheels " .. oh well back to shed then....(y)
upload_2017-8-31_12-57-51.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
He's just a 'hotel' person......whereas I hate hotels with a passion....stuck in a boxy room (no matter how posh and we've stayed in some posh hotel suites) with absolutely nothing to do....having to eat crummy food cooked by who knows whom, using who kows 'what????
I hate hotels, you never know what the previous occupants have done in that bed. I used to take my own pillows....

Never stayed in one again since I got my own motorhome (y)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I hate hotels, you never know what the previous occupants have done in that bed. I used to take my own pillows....
(y)

Stayed at a hotel in Rochester once a colleague found the clean sheets needed changing upon arrival - he didnt like the look of the blood stains - the dining room had sticky curtains - looked like kids had wiped their hands in them :eek:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Stayed at a hotel in Rochester once a colleague found the clean sheets needed changing upon arrival - he didnt like the look of the blood stains - the dining room had sticky curtains - looked like kids had wiped their hands in them :eek:

This is one of the main reasons why we started motorhoming. We were looking at properties in Scotland and got so sick of staying in some grungy B&B or 'earthy' hotel that the acquisition of a mobile Tupperware box seemed like the best solution.

We stayed at one fantastic-looking B&B in Kingussie, Highlands, but the owners were so house proud that they wrote little messages on each and every bit of furniture to instruct the occupants on what they could and could not do.

I'm not joking when I say there were five different written rules in various parts of the bathroom.:(

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hotels? Hate them with a passion :)

Due to work I used to spend half my life in them. These were nice hotels as well, but still used to hate it.

Now days it's just the motorhome. Even when we visit relatives, we stay in the motorhome on the drive and say it's because of the dog.

It does help that my dog can go into "anti-social, ferocious - I'm going to kill you" mode on command.
Just have to say guard and he starts his evil look. Then I let him back in the van, he goes back to his usual happy self and waits for his treat. He's a good boy :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I would love to meet him on a campsite. He sounds like he can tell a great story. But most of it so true. I just wonder what car he drives as he said the van would only do 70/80. But as some one has said, its a Transit. It will not be there long. {nic nic.]

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I would love to meet him on a campsite. He sounds like he can tell a great story. But most of it so true. I just wonder what car he drives as he said the van would only do 70/80. But as some one has said, its a Transit. It will not be there long. {nic nic.]
evidently the go much faster if started with a tibbe key nought to ireland in no time

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bev has just read this out to me from FB, she is still rolling around with tears streaming, looks like we resemble them a little too closely

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I agree that its all true, but I wonder which way the guy would describe air travel? Anyone been on a plane recently? Cows & sheep aren't allowed to be so tightly crammed in or to travel so long without a break. My last transatlantic flight the folk in front of us reclined in Florida & only put their seats back up as we came into land in the UK, I was borderline of claustrophobia & hysteria lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back