Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I just read that as well.

When I read the bit about side facing seats I thought "What bout buses?" but then read on that certain classes of vehicle are exempt. I still don't use side facing seats on buses though, think they are dangerous.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Just watch at school coming out time for mothers putting small children in front seats with no booster, or more kids than seatbelts elsewhere in the car. They don't seem to care.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Perhaps the clearest explanation of seat belts in general and side facing seats I have come accross.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just watch at school coming out time for mothers putting small children in front seats with no booster, or more kids than seatbelts elsewhere in the car. They don't seem to care.
And putting children in the back of hatchbacks where there aren't even seats, let alone belts (n)

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I noticed my neighbour had a flat tyre, so knocked on her door to make her aware as I knew she would be going to collect her 3 yr old from nursery school. She said "thanks for telling me, it would have been dangerous to drive with it like that", but when I pointed out that it was so bald it made Alf Garnett look like a long haired yobbo, she just said "oh I know it needs a new tyre, they told me that when it had its MOT". She also has a new baby and had been using the car all that time! It has been changed now.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is so unbelievably irresponsible. My sister has years of infertility before eventual success and she always said that it wasn't other people having babies that upset her, it was those that did not strap their children in. She felt they didn't deserve them.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have known Tim Booth for years, as he caravanned he became the police guru on all things caravan related, first met him on a rally in France. Very knowledgeable man.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But what about MH with a MIRO in excess of 2540Kg - ie most of them?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 refer to a "wheeled motor vehicle" and does not discuss weight.

Regulation 46 of the above requires all these vehicles to have "seat belt anchorage points" if they were constructed after 1 January 1965. reg 47 goes on to say that these vehicles must have seat belts for the drivers seat and certain other "specified seats" if the vehicle was manufactured after 1 April 1981. There are many exemption tracked vehicles tracctors etc but the two main ones are LGVs and PSVs both of which are covered elsewhere.

The MIRO (Mass in Running Order" figure is not used in much legislation. Legislation generally considers "maximum gross or maximum train weight" or, in the case of driver licensing, "Maximum Authorised Mass" (MAM).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back