Sealer for putting in a new seitz heki?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
A friend of mine is installing a heki rooflight. What would be the best adhesive sealer to install it with please..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would still use it, no point in losing them on the motorway.
You can't lose a rooflight. The frame clamps the roof between inner and outer. You can of course lose the opening part but the best adhesive in the world won't affect that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don’t agree, how many people have ever had to remove a roof light.
Me on every leisure vehicle I've owned because of poor OEM installation, or brittle plastic breaking, or because I wanted one with a fan, or to replace a translucent version with a transparent one, or to replace one with a failed winder, or because I wanted a bigger one.

Just to emphasise: never, ever, use a PU adhesive such as Sikaflex 512 if it isn't necessary. My vote is for strip butyl mastic as suggested.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can't lose a rooflight. The frame clamps the roof between inner and outer. You can of course lose the opening part but the best adhesive in the world won't affect that.
Not quite true in some cases, the midi-Heki I fitted has small clamps that rely on clinging to the underside edge. The inner section with the blind is held in place by by spring toggles, no scewed connection to the top frame at all.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I would still use it, no point in losing them on the motorway.

It's not the point of wether you can lose it or not, you should use a non setting mastic to allow for expansion and contraction of the body panels, if it doesn't flex with the body it'll fracture over time and then you will have a leaking joint.

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Thank you everybody for you input. I seems none setting mastic would be the best. Ive got a tube of the Hodgsons seamseal,do you think this would be ok. Its a none setting mastic..

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I use this works well and is more controllable on application than a tube of mastic.

Hope its of some use.
Cheers Cris.:cheers:.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thank you everybody for you input. I seems none setting mastic would be the best. Ive got a tube of the Hodgsons seamseal,do you think this would be ok. Its a none setting mastic..

Perfect that is what the industry uses.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not quite true in some cases, the midi-Heki I fitted has small clamps that rely on clinging to the underside edge. The inner section with the blind is held in place by by spring toggles, no scewed connection to the top frame at all.
The small clamps are exactly that. Correctly installed it wouldn't matter whether sealant or adhesive was used or not - the rooflight would stay in place. It would however leak :).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I a roof light for a friend, she said she had bought all the stuff so I stuck it on with the Sika adhesive she supplied, a year later it was leaking again so I would be using non setting mastic(y)

Martin

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
@bluesurf989 The manual specifies a non setting elastomer "
(e.g. SikaLastomer-710).
Manual is available on the dometic heki website
This is what I used for a replacement unit and it appeared identical to the stuff RMB had used on the original. I used more than specified to ensure a complete seal out to the flange edges to match the original fitting.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I carry a roll of non setting mastic tape for the likes of roof lights, window frames, rear bumper, and aluminium side skirts, etc, and a tube of PU adhesive sealant for the other jobs, where mastic tape would be unsuitable, ie, roof seals, rain gutters, solar panels, etc. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Perfect and what I use.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I a roof light for a friend, she said she had bought all the stuff so I stuck it on with the Sika adhesive she supplied, a year later it was leaking again so I would be using non setting mastic(y)

Martin

Surprised you fitted it, I would have told her to buy the correct stuff first or I'm not doing the job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back