Screwing in to my motorhome! (3 Viewers)

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please. I am putting up an awning rail on the side of our moho. I will be using adhesive to stick it to the moho wall but to enable it to stay in place while the adhesive dries I will be using some self-tapping screws. My question is, is it safe to screw through the moho wall not knowing what is in the wall (I am assuming just insulation)? I am assuming pipes and wires are installed on the inside wall, not in between the inside and outside wall of the moho.
Can you let me know if my assumption is correct as of course I do not want to take the risk of screwing in to something that could cause me a big problem!
I have a Burstner Ixeo 640.

TIA
Gerry

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I fiitted a 6m caravan awning rail to our van 5 years ago and had an awning made to fit for our winters in Spain.
The preformed rail came in 2 pieces and was fiitted using sikaflex and small countersunk self tapping screws. The extruded form of the rail was ideal with a nice cavity on the underside for the sikaflex to have sufficient thickness and allowing the rail to sit flush on the wall. It was also pre - drilled at 75mm spacing for fixing screws. The 2 rail sections were initially held in place with tape allowing for alignment and a few pilot holes and screws to secure in position, the remaining pilot holes were then drilled. The rail was removed the surface cleaned and prepared for the sikaflex.
I drilled 1mm pilot holes for the198 screws, and hand tightened the screws, the screws passed through the center of the sikaflex bead and as they were being tightened the excess sikaflex was squeezing out of the adjacent fixing holes which gave a good seal for the screw heads.
We have just returned from Spain and once again the awning was great and survived some pretty strong winds. Sorry about the dirty van but we are just back and it's been hissing down here since we got back.
Cheers
Ed

20200425_182346.jpg

20210221_114953.jpg

20210110_150724.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I fiitted a 6m caravan awning rail to our van 5 years ago and had an awning made to fit for our winters in Spain.
The preformed rail came in 2 pieces and was fiitted using sikaflex and small countersunk sell tapping screws. The extruded form of the rail was ideal with a nice cavity on the underside for the sikaflex to have sufficient thickness and allowing the rail to sit flush on the wall. It was also pre - drilled at 75mm spacing for fixing screws. The 2 rail sections were initially held in place with tape allowing for alignment and a few pilot holes and screws to secure in position, the remaining pilot holes were then drilled. The rail was removed the surface cleaned and prepared for the sikaflex.
I drilled 1mm pilot holes for the198 screws, and hand tightened the screws, the screws passed through the center of the sikaflex bead and as they were being tightened the excess sikaflex was squeezing out of the adjacent fixing holes which gave a good seal for the screw heads.
We have just returned from Spain and once again the awning was a great and survived some pretty strong winds. Sorry about the dirty van but we are just back and it's been hissing down here since we got back.
Cheers
Ed

View attachment 467781

View attachment 467782

View attachment 467784

Brilliant! Thank you

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for that, it is your opinion, there are thousands that would say the opposite, but I understand where you are coming from.

Cheers

Gerry
Perhaps you could explain why you do not want a rollout with the pros and cons of what you are looking to attach as an awning. That way we can advise you but just to reinforce, attaching with adhesive only is not a suitable method for an awning of any size. Attaching to the outer aluminium skin (you have checked with Burstner?) with screws is not good enough, in my opinion. You can bolt through an outer and inner skin with a standard caravan type awning rail using countersunk headed screws but with a wide load plate inside

Upvote 0
May 14, 2020
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis autoquest 100
Exp
Im a newbie
The awning fitted to our Elddis has spreader plated on the inside and i’d certainly recommend fitting these. The awning assembly is quite heavy and that weight plus the vibration as you travel could cause a surface fitting to give way. I have refitted some arrial cables through the wall of our and definitely would not attach an awning to just the outer skin. Good luck👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The awning fitted to our Elddis has spreader plated on the inside and i’d certainly recommend fitting these. The awning assembly is quite heavy and that weight plus the vibration as you travel could cause a surface fitting to give way. I have refitted some arrial cables through the wall of our and definitely would not attach an awning to just the outer skin. Good luck👍
Bolts with internal spreader plates is the only way for 100% satisfaction provided the holes are well sealed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Hi, thought I would update this thread as it may be useful for folks in future to know the fact from fiction.

I spoke to a German colleague of mine about my intention of bonding a rail to my motorhome. He said his b-i-l worked for Hymer and he would ask him if he knew the answer. My colleague came back to me with his b-i-l's number and said he is expecting a call from you. Turns out he is an engineer at the Hymer factory. We had a great chat but the short version of the answer (in his words) was "I can't speak for all motorhomes but I can tell you that anyone who thinks the side is going to come off a modern Burstner because of the stress of an awning clearly has no idea how it is put together and how strong it is"
I must admit he explained in length about the components and processes involved, all I wanted to know is that is ok to do it!

Cheers

Gerry

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Bolts with internal spreader plates is the only way for 100% satisfaction provided the holes are well sealed
Most roll outs rely on 2 or 3 fixing points hence the spreader plates,
Our last Hymer I fitted a rail instead of a roll out as it suited our needs better for a sun shade 4mtr it could be left up in all but the worst gales or storms and we never had to get out of bed due to bad weather in the middle of the night to wind it in as many others will have done.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back