Scottish C***van and Motohome Show SECC (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
No where near as big as the NEC and it is really spondoref by dealers rather than the manufacturers.

I guess it depends what you are looking for. We are going on Thursday on a 2 for 1 deal so could report back!

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Cheers. I was thinking of going up on Sunday, just for something to do with the kids. The wee fella is keen, Small-fry would go to the opening of an envelope and I'm nae fussed either way as I'm not currently in the market for a MH (see t'other posts....) although I'm a gadget and accessories junky so..... However, some feed back after your trip would be handy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Visitied the show yesterday there were more motorhomes there than I recall from previous years so if you like browsing ...... It is nothing like the size of the NEC. Under 16 are free and Adult prices are £13/14. The gagets and accesories side of things was not brilliant IMV but each to their own.

Would we go again next year, probably not, even though we had a 2 for 1 ticket.

I did spot this event,nothing to do with motorhomes, which might keep you kids occupied!

https://www.scottishcyclingrunningoutdoorpursuitsshow.co.uk/

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I've been to a few cos I like looking round Motorhomes. Have to say the accessories side has always been poor, even if not comparing it to NEC.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We were there on Thursday , it’s ok but not really a place to take children. IMO. There’s nothing worse than queuing to get in and out motorhomes while some parents let their kids run amok and stand on furniture. Weekends are really busy.

I guess the refreshment stall holders inside must think we all have lots of money to burn, even with their high overheads their prices are a rip off. £2.25 for a bottle of water that costs 25p to buy from cash n carry. Far better to take a flask and sandwiches.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Went yesterday, used to go every year but didn't last two. I thought it was the biggest ever. There were some nice vans. More pop tops than I thought existed. We only had to wait to get inside motorhomes once or twice. Accessories stalls poor, I did get my shoes cleaned and my specs. Not as busy as I have seen it but the torrential rain and wind could have kept people away not to mention the £10 car park charge. I would go again next year.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was thinking of going up on Sunday, just for something to do with the kids. .......... and I'm nae fussed either way as I'm not currently in the market for a MH .
Hmm. I had no intention of buying a m/h when I went to M&S one July day a few years ago to change a pair of shorts. On the way back the road was closed due to an accident so I pulled into a leisure vehicle dealer's just to pass the waiting time and bought a motorhome. Still love it.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
£10 car park charge? I would have turned round and driven out if that was me, sorry. I absolutely hate profiteering by parking charges, like the ludicrous amounts hospitals charge. Even Evesham Council get in on the act by trebelling car parking costs during their annual fishing festival which is supposed to attract people into the town to spend money.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Hmm. I had no intention of buying a m/h when I went to M&S one July day a few years ago to change a pair of shorts. On the way back the road was closed due to an accident so I pulled into a leisure vehicle dealer's just to pass the waiting time and bought a motorhome. Still love it.
That’s a real coincidence as I was on my way to a motorhome dealers once and popped in to Marks and Spencer’s to buy a pair of underpants!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That’s a real coincidence as I was on my way to a motorhome dealers once and popped in to Marks and Spencer’s to buy a pair of underpants!
I can understand that. The thought of spending thousands on a m/h can be a bit scary.

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
We went to the show today and were very disappointed, £13 each to enter as well. We will not be back in a hurry. We maybe expected too much but in general the comments from others reflect our experience. We could have easily left after an hour to be honest and we would not have missed anything.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Went yesterday and found it to be yet again very poor, also very quite too, lots of new dealer specials at reasonable cost and good deals to be had, accessory shops/stand very poor and expensive, ditto all the awnings, air beam ones especially !!
We as usual too our own filled rolls and a flask, the rip of prices at ALL shows are the same, if the put things out at a reasonable cost they would sell more , car park charges up again this year, another bloody rip off.
Had to laugh at some of the questions dealers were getting asked though, like is it diesel ? can you get it in petrol version as the former will not be available after next year !!!
Although it is the closest for us don't think we will be going back.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Didn’t go for most of the above complaints, total rip-off and not a lot to see.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Gave up going three years ago for the reasons mentioned above (and it's only a few minutes from us!).

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We went last year, drive down from Cromarty is 360 miles return, and didn't think much of it.

I feel sorry for the stands as the prices are astronomical and it's no wonder these shows are dying off, I used to got to NEC bike show and that's gone same way. They are being priced out slowly.
I could go to the Milan bike show for not much more than travelling to NEC with transport and accommodation.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Thanks folks, feedback appreciated. I think I will give it a body swerve. Perhaps it wasn't busy because the WHOLE of Glasgow's population seems to have gone to Kelvingrove to see Dippy! It was mayhem yesterday, you'd have thunk it was the second coming.

Yes, the parking in the multi-storey is a disgrace. We had to suck it up at Crimbo when we went up to see the krankies in Cinderalla. Bandits! Careful with the advice on parking at the maritime museum, it's not free, there are machines; GSC just loves pouncing on motorists for the slightest indiscretion as I learnt to my cost in the city bus lanes. I think I was in it by error for all of, ohhh, mmmmm, 6 seconds. F**KIN' BANDITS!

I think the moral of this digression is don't take your car to town son, it's not welcome.

I will save my pennies for the bike show at Ingliston. Two wheels good, four wheels bad...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back