Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just starting to do a bit of spade work and hoping you well travelled people can answer a couple of questions .Me and Jo are hoping to do some of the west coast of Scotland next year and maybe some of Skye. We are planning to stay for one week on the Morvich C&MC site and one week on the Kinlochewe C&MC site.Firstly has anyone stayed on these sites and if so what are the entry roads like ,is there phone signal ,does satellite tv work,is it feasible to think we could do 2days on Skye travelling each day from the Morvich site? What are the midges like in this area at say May or more likely September? Lastly what are the must see places in this area?
Thanks for any feedback
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
No feedback then :LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don’t use sites so can’t be of much help sorry. Depending on how much time you have I’d recommend taking the ferry from Oban or Skye out to The Western Isles if your looking for stunning scenery.
Skye is over rated imo . Dunvegan Castle is nice to visit though .

Midges shouldn’t be too bad in May or Sept.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just starting to do a bit of spade work and hoping you well travelled people can answer a couple of questions .Me and Jo are hoping to do some of the west coast of Scotland next year and maybe some of Skye. We are planning to stay for one week on the Morvich C&MC site and one week on the Kinlochewe C&MC site.Firstly has anyone stayed on these sites and if so what are the entry roads like ,is there phone signal ,does satellite tv work,is it feasible to think we could do 2days on Skye travelling each day from the Morvich site? What are the midges like in this area at say May or more likely September? Lastly what are the must see places in this area?
Thanks for any feedback
Brian & Jo

Did a similar route earlier this year (March).

Started on C*MC site at Bunree (well we had a couple of previous stops!).
upload_2018-7-31_17-10-37.png

upload_2018-7-31_17-10-55.png

Same view on a better day.
upload_2018-7-31_17-11-31.png

Right on the shore front with a rocky beach however there's a sandy \ gravel bit at the mouth of the burn. Don't even think about going in the water! Brrrrrrr!
Single track road down to the site from the main road but traffic light controlled.
There's a pub in the village (Inchree) across the main road from the site access. Pub grub was not too bad.
You can either take the car or walk to Inchree Falls but we skipped that due to the weather.
Think Ken @Kingham did and came across a fairy house? Maybe it was @andy63 ?
Fort William is a 20 minute drive away.
Go climb Ben Nevis!
Not far from Glenfinnan with Jacobite Memorial and and the viaduct (Harry Potter Bridge). You can get a train from Fort William to Mallaig but book in advance. Julie Walters did this journey as one of the episodes on Coastal Railway Journeys (or somefink like that).
If you stay there (or are passing through Fort William in the motorhome) on the way to Morvich there is parking between Morrisons and Lidls (payable) that takes artic vehicles. Also Morrisons petrol station for filling up (do so as it gets expensive further North).

The road north of Fort William (along the side of Loch Lochy) is decent. Turning left off this at Invergarry takes you onto a road where you want to try and avoid the tarmac bits as it's atrocious in places! However there are a couple of good stopping points (viewpoints) in Glengarry. Not the best of photos!

upload_2018-7-31_17-29-1.png

upload_2018-7-31_17-29-17.png

We had planned to go into Morvich but had been told that a fair amount of the site is shaded by the mountains throughout the day so headed up to Kinlochewe.
Good stopping point on the road up from Loch Alsh (which we bypassed:cry:).
Another good stopping point, drive in drive out, overlooking Loch Carron at Strome Ferry. Saw a Golden Eagle circling here!

upload_2018-7-31_17-30-19.png

upload_2018-7-31_17-33-14.png

Another good stopping point at Glen Docherty (drive in but you have to do a 180 to get back out - fairly easy) overlooking Loch Maree.
The only photo I have of the parking area.

upload_2018-7-31_17-41-56.png

upload_2018-7-31_17-39-30.png

Kinlochewe is an OK site but a bit "car parkish" with it being fully hardcored interspersed by odd bits of grass.

upload_2018-7-31_17-43-37.png

Scenery is good though.

upload_2018-7-31_17-44-48.png

upload_2018-7-31_17-46-33.png

It's in a small village but, wait for it, it has a pub! But wasn't doing food when we were there (too early in the year).:(

Don't have satellite but terrestrial tv was OK at both Bunree and Kinlochewe.
We were too early for midgey season (the reason we went then) but you should be OK at Bunree given proximity to the sea and the draughts. Kinlochewe may be a problem for them given it's next to a peat bog area covered with heather, bracken, etc. The dog walk goes through it!
I would be guessing Morvich would be similar.

From memory, mobile and mifi were OK at Bunree but less so at Kinlochewe.

The main road, which passes the entrance to Kinlochewe, is good enough (allowing for pot holes!). It is single track in a number of places, eg next to Loch Carron, but it's easy enough if you know the etiquette for these. There is a road (single track most of the way) that runs down the side of the site that takes you out to Torridon with some spectacular scenery.

Think that's about all I can "remember"(ish) but give me a shout if any specifics (co-ords, etc).

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-31_17-32-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-31_17-32-50.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Great photos Grant...(y)
Ken did take me to the bunree site for a bit kayaking... i hadnt been before
Its ideal for that... my avatar photo is one ken took of me as we came in from an evening paddle at bunree...
Andy

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Brian and Jo I loosely followed the NC500 route Sep - Oct last year and was planning on using a few C&MC sites as bases, but many of their northern sites closed for the winter in late September, so check their dates carefully.
Plenty of alternatives though, including wild camping if needed.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We stayed at the Morvich site for just one night about 4 years ago with no memorable access problems (7.2metres) but sheep were roaming up and down so be careful if you have a dog.

Think the aCcess road served another establishment- activity centre possibly.

Yes you could feasibly drive back and forth to Skye from ther, the road was good but I am not sure why you would want to. There is a club site C&CC on Skye plus a few private sites and tonnes of wild camping.

We found the club site at Inverewe to be lovely, havent stayed at kinlochewe. We are a member of both clubs so cannot remember which club runs the Inverewe site.
We always go up in April and May and leave as the midges arrive mid-late May.

Catherine (Mrs Stag)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Kinlochewe easy access nice location no easy access and back to Skye from there but nice hotel for food, very nice cafe next to site, useful shop all easy walk good value site with nice walks onto hills if wanted

Lovely area usually midge free in May but as I say to most if that far up, buy a ferry ticket and try Harris you will love it

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Kinlochewe is a bugger for midges in season, the site is like a gravel car park surrounded by heather and a small stream to the one side.

You need to be on the pitches on the right as you drive in to get a sat signal, othwerwise the trees stop you.

Nice site though, very well looked after and the facilities are club spec so very nice.

Easy to get to Gairloch, Poolewe etc, car park at the top end of Loch Maree has a toilet building

Not stayed at Morvich but you run the risk of travelling out and back each day and seeing the same bits over and over, we did this for many years as we always based ourselves when down South, but in Scotland you need to stop a night or two and move on, we did this a few years back, 15 nights and my wife commented that it felt like she had had three holidays as we had done and saw so much in different areas, even got over to Mull for a few days.

Roads are fine, some single track but pose no issues, yes lots of pot holes, but all roads have them (maybe not as many as Scotland)

We did Skye earlier this year, went up the East coast, stayed at several sites just for a night and worked our way around taking our time.
Just allow plenty of time and don't rush you WILL miss something.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Just allow plenty of time
Unfortunately time is the one thing that is not on our side ,we are going to try and get 2wks off together ,which is unheard of for us,still got busy work commitments im afraid.So im afraid we will just have to make the most of it.
Brian & Jo

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Unfortunately time is the one thing that is not on our side ,we are going to try and get 2wks off together ,which is unheard of for us,still got busy work commitments im afraid.So im afraid we will just have to make the most of it.
Brian & Jo
Rather than spending a week each on two sites where there may, or may not, be enough to "entertain" you might it be better to do, say 4 sites for 3 \ 4 nights each?:unsure:

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Rather than spending a week each on two sites where there may, or may not, be enough to "entertain" you might it be better to do, say 4 sites for 3 \ 4 nights each?:unsure:
Hi,well the way we were thinking was that with a 29FT motorhome and a tow car it would be more convienient to base the motorhome and use the car to tour around.
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Did a similar route earlier this year (March).

Started on C*MC site at Bunree (well we had a couple of previous stops!).
View attachment 246502

View attachment 246503

Same view on a better day.
View attachment 246504

Right on the shore front with a rocky beach however there's a sandy \ gravel bit at the mouth of the burn. Don't even think about going in the water! Brrrrrrr!
Single track road down to the site from the main road but traffic light controlled.
There's a pub in the village (Inchree) across the main road from the site access. Pub grub was not too bad.
You can either take the car or walk to Inchree Falls but we skipped that due to the weather.
Think Ken @Kingham did and came across a fairy house? Maybe it was @andy63 ?
Fort William is a 20 minute drive away.
Go climb Ben Nevis!
Not far from Glenfinnan with Jacobite Memorial and and the viaduct (Harry Potter Bridge). You can get a train from Fort William to Mallaig but book in advance. Julie Walters did this journey as one of the episodes on Coastal Railway Journeys (or somefink like that).
If you stay there (or are passing through Fort William in the motorhome) on the way to Morvich there is parking between Morrisons and Lidls (payable) that takes artic vehicles. Also Morrisons petrol station for filling up (do so as it gets expensive further North).

The road north of Fort William (along the side of Loch Lochy) is decent. Turning left off this at Invergarry takes you onto a road where you want to try and avoid the tarmac bits as it's atrocious in places! However there are a couple of good stopping points (viewpoints) in Glengarry. Not the best of photos!

View attachment 246519

View attachment 246520

We had planned to go into Morvich but had been told that a fair amount of the site is shaded by the mountains throughout the day so headed up to Kinlochewe.
Good stopping point on the road up from Loch Alsh (which we bypassed:cry:).
Another good stopping point, drive in drive out, overlooking Loch Carron at Strome Ferry. Saw a Golden Eagle circling here!

View attachment 246521

View attachment 246524

Another good stopping point at Glen Docherty (drive in but you have to do a 180 to get back out - fairly easy) overlooking Loch Maree.
The only photo I have of the parking area.

View attachment 246527

View attachment 246526

Kinlochewe is an OK site but a bit "car parkish" with it being fully hardcored interspersed by odd bits of grass.

View attachment 246528

Scenery is good though.

View attachment 246529

View attachment 246530

It's in a small village but, wait for it, it has a pub! But wasn't doing food when we were there (too early in the year).:(

Don't have satellite but terrestrial tv was OK at both Bunree and Kinlochewe.
We were too early for midgey season (the reason we went then) but you should be OK at Bunree given proximity to the sea and the draughts. Kinlochewe may be a problem for them given it's next to a peat bog area covered with heather, bracken, etc. The dog walk goes through it!
I would be guessing Morvich would be similar.

From memory, mobile and mifi were OK at Bunree but less so at Kinlochewe.

The main road, which passes the entrance to Kinlochewe, is good enough (allowing for pot holes!). It is single track in a number of places, eg next to Loch Carron, but it's easy enough if you know the etiquette for these. There is a road (single track most of the way) that runs down the side of the site that takes you out to Torridon with some spectacular scenery.

Think that's about all I can "remember"(ish) but give me a shout if any specifics (co-ords, etc).
Thank you for the pics of Bunree it was a nice reminder of when we were there 3yrs ago:)(y)
Brian & Jo

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Best time for no midgies - May

Morvich - access no problem bit phone & mifi non existant (don't have aTV so don't know about that)

Kinlochewe site no problem for access but IMO a very dreech & isolated site - again nit good for signals

Day trips to Skye from Morvich possible but an awful lot of driving to get to the nice bits!!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hmm ... we have a house 15 miles down the glen road from Kinlochewe.

I would say that May is usually not bad for midges but if you’re going to get them, Kinlochewe’s the place.

Kinlochewe is handy for getting places ... you can reach Torridon, Applecross, Loch Carron, Gairloch fairly easily but, if I was looking for somewhere to stay, a sea view would be top of my hit list ....

Saying that, it seems a well run, tidy, gravel site, with the magnificent Beinn Eighe and Loch Maree just down the road.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,well the way we were thinking was that with a 29FT motorhome and a tow car it would be more convienient to base the motorhome and use the car to tour around.
Brian & Jo

Ok, I hadn’t read this part ... the 29’ motorhome and towcar is a serious impediment on single track so yes, I understand your plan better now....

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Brian & Jo

I did not realise that so my recommendations would be

Go in May or late September

1st stop Reraig campsite Balmacarra on the coast - hotel, bar & restaurant walking distance - easy to visit Eilean Donan Castle, Kyle of Lochalsh, Skye, Plockton etc by car from there.

2nd stop Inverewe camping and Caravanning club at Poolewe (having stayed at both it is in much better position than Kinlochewe site) on the coast hotel, shop, bar, restaurant & Poolewe gardens within walking distance & from there. By car visit Loch Maree, Gairloch, Laide, Melon Udrigle (great beach) or even a day trip to Ullapool

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
I did not realise that so my recommendations would be

Go in May or late September

1st stop Reraig campsite Balmacarra on the coast - hotel, bar & restaurant walking distance - easy to visit Eilean Donan Castle, Kyle of Lochalsh, Skye, Plockton etc by car from there.

2nd stop Inverewe camping and Caravanning club at Poolewe (having stayed at both it is in much better position than Kinlochewe site) on the coast hotel, shop, bar, restaurant & Poolewe gardens within walking distance & from there. By car visit Loch Maree, Gairloch, Laide, Melon Udrigle (great beach) or even a day trip to Ullapool
Thank you for you help but just looked at Reraig website and they only take up to 7.6mtr motorhomes and our Arto is almost 9mtrs:(
Brian & Jo

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I would leave the car at home and spend only a night or two at each site, the West coast is made for touring. With a car you could easily put in a couple of hundred miles a day, with only the van you'll see something different each day.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We went in May this year no midges lucky with the weather we only had 5 nights on sites (wild camped the rest) over 2 weeks and parked within easy walking distance wherever we were but are only 6m long

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Thank you for you help but just looked at Reraig website and they only take up to 7.6mtr motorhomes and our Arto is almost 9mtrs:(
Brian & Jo

Oops - sorry I did not look closely at the site - my next suggestion would be to take your RV to the "Sligachan" campsite on Skye (site owned by the hotel next door) and using the car visit anywhere in Skye & Plockton, etc. on the mainland

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back