Scotland - hoping to go sometime May/June (if permitted of course!) (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having decided to stick to the UK for our first holiday in what will be 15 months (if we go in May and assuming it's legal to go into Scotland or course) were' thinking of doing the south west mainland and then maybe over to one or two of the islands.

We won't need to bother locals unless absolutely necessary, unless they are happy for us to do so in order to spend to support their 'economy', but will likely do mostly 'off-site' parking (must keep the PC brigade happy! :giggle:). We can eek out our fresh water supply (especially now we have a 150L tank) and have ways to also extend the length of time our black and grey waste will last so not worried about that (disposing of it sensibly/safely of course).

We went to Harris & Lewis a few years back and it was lovely, with two extremely different landscapes on the same island, so were thinking of going back and probably exploring Skye again too, however we're also open to suggestions for other islands/areas but obviously don't want to just island hop for the sake of it (it ain't cheap for a 6m+ MH!).

We're probably looking at a month in total and don't want to do loads of travelling each day, probably stopping for a couple of days minimum in each spot (where permitted) as we want a relaxing holiday so what I'm looking for is info on where to go, what to see (assuming places are open), also experience of the other islands and whether to bother with them or not.

Thanks in advance.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you’ve not been before it’s worth going to see the Falkirk Wheel where you can stay overnight for a fee. A few miles from the Wheel are The Kelpies where, again you can stay overnight.

This may be a little too far east for you though.

Ian

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi, think about Uist, North and south, Barra, Benbecula the local seafood is fantastic, there is a little cafe at Kallin (Gaelic name Cealin) where you can get Lobster and Chips cooked fresh in a little harbour where you can get a boat to go around the isle of Ronaigh, which has resident White Tailed Sea Eagles who will come out to the boat. There are Smokehouses who create the best smoked fish.
the people are so friendly and if you watch any of Andrew Ditton Utube vids you will see there are many attractions and he has actually moved there. He said in a zoom meet-up that the locals want people to visit they will not be throwing clods of peat at anyone 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, I'll be taking my inflatable kayak (not a toy) so would love to be able to use it loads and loads! :giggle:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Come up my way Oban lots of places to puff up your inflatable 🤪 and mull what an island you would love it. And you can get a. Boat to any of the islands from here. Good start or stopping point
they could do the tidal flow under the Connel Bridge 😈

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You'll go past our door, warn me so that we can pull up the draw bridge. ;) :giggle:
Really though, if come past us I will make you a cuppa.
Yeah I know ... I was gonna ask if I can have a play with all of Robert's power tools that you've nicked! :rofl:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Minxy if you’ve never been to the SW you’ll love it, we have loads of off site parking spots along with some lovely sites, don’t forget the forestry stay the night scheme.
We’ve just booked a few of our favourite places over the next several months in the hope we can travel.
Kings Green Port William, lovely site in small village
CMC site at Garlieston, another lovely site in small village with very friendly pub.
Isle of Whithorn has a lovely pub “steam Packet” where you can stay in their car park if you frequent the pub.
Finally our favourite place in D&G Portpatrick, you have 3 commercial sites here all within a 10 minute coastal walk to the village, if you have bikes the the small CL Isle of Spittal (spelling might be wrong) about 3 miles from village.
If you decide to come and want some more info feel free to ask.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
CMC site at Garlieston, another lovely site in small village with very friendly pub.
We're booked in there during May time (travel permitted, etc).
Not sure if the wardens have started back yet but think they were due to last week \ this week.
Heard from some folk the site took a bit of a beating during winter and there was a "possibility" the seafront side may not be able to be opened until later due to flooding.:(
For those not in the know about the site this is the sea about an hour or so before one of their higher spring tides. It rose about another 18" after this! As you can see flat calm. Just think what it's like if the sea is rough!:eek:
The leccy bollards are about 4'-5' up off the ground.

1616497622675.png

More importantly, we're normally there this week and if the pub was open me beer would be getting flat!:crying:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Sw Scotland is a good area to tour around. We will definitely be going back.
How about the east coast from Northumberland all the way up to fraserburgh via the kingdom of fife and along the coast to Inverness. Lots to see and do.
Not quite as scenically spectacular as the west coast but well worth a visit if not been before. Happily go back as did not see half of it and the bonus is less midges.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sw Scotland is a good area to tour around. We will definitely be going back.
How about the east coast from Northumberland all the way up to fraserburgh via the kingdom of fife and along the coast to Inverness. Lots to see and do.
Not quite as scenically spectacular as the west coast but well worth a visit if not been before. Happily go back as did not see half of it and the bonus is less midges.
We've done Northumberland and upwards quite a few times as we used to go to a microcar rally up at North Berwick, we've also done t'other side of the Firth too up to John O'Groats and across the top (very boring!), however depending on how we get on in the SW, islands etc, and time permitting, we may go across the centre to the east coast for a longer trip or save that for another time, possibly later in the summer, as we do love that side too. We don't want to do the SW much later than May/June due to the midges as I suffer badly when bitten and tend to look like I've been pebble-dashed! :rolleyes:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The wardens are certainly back at New England Bay, one of them overwintered and he has recently been joined by more in a caravan.
Not sure if the wardens have started back yet but think they were due to last week \ this week.
Heard from some folk the site took a bit of a beating during winter and there was a "possibility" the seafront side may not be able to be opened until later due to flooding.:(
For those not in the know about the site this is the sea about an hour or so before one of their higher spring tides. It rose about another 18" after this! As you can see flat calm. Just think what it's like if the sea is rough!:eek:
The leccy bollards are about 4'-5' up off the ground.

View attachment 476216

More importantly, we're normally there this week and if the pub was open me beer would be getting flat!:crying:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
As others have said, keep an eye in Forest and Land Scotland for which car parks they are opening up for overnight parking this year. Last year there were several in the SW, one (at Clatteringshaws) has a CDPand water.

If you are travelling from SW further North, a visit to the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies won’t be too much of a detour.

All of the islands are worth a visit. If you decide to Island hop, don’t bother getting the Island Hopscotch ticket, no cheaper than the individual tickets. Most of the inter island ferries you don’t need to book in advance, just turn up. Not sure if you have a dog, but the longer CalMac journeys are very dog friendly with dedicated lounges.

Don’t forget midge repellent and anti-histamine cream.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lucky escape as we’ve booked Port William in May as a starter with the hope of getting more bookings in.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The wardens are certainly back at New England Bay, one of them overwintered and he has recently been joined by more in a caravan.
When I was talking to them back in Julyish time one of them said they might over-winter as they are "fulltimers". Think they might have been able to swing it so they could allow access to storage area?:unsure:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
How bad are they on the D&G coast, that far south?
Stephen, personally I don’t think they are an issue on or near the coast as always seems to be a breeze, yes you still get them as the sun goes down but not many trees round the coast so limited number.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
How bad are they on the D&G coast, that far south?
Like everywhere in Scotland it really does depend on the weather. Having said that, they're generally not as bad as up North West coast.
The sites mentioned by Gerry lorger are all coastal so normally breezy which they don't like.

edit : ooops just crossed.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I was talking to them back in Julyish time one of them said they might over-winter as they are "fulltimers". Think they might have been able to swing it so they could allow access to storage area?:unsure:
Just had a walk along the beach, gate locked, no entry sign. Storage area is empty.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Have just spent a considerable amount of time booking Skye for selves and 2 other neighbours in May. Crossing everything that we will be allowed to go to Scotland then as thought we were allowed to travel/stay from 26th April [aaargh maybe that is not right as it may be just The Scots that can travel in Scotland !? PS I am scottish but sadly exiled !]
Have booked refundable/moveable pitches and now onto looking at places near relatives in Fort William and Oban for either side of the 2 weeks. but now thinking the planning may be the best - will be gutted if we cant go but the campsites seem to think it is fine to book . Any ideas when we will hear ? and what will happen if we Just Go Anyway ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back