Scooter insurance abroad for 180 days (1 Viewer)

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Hi all,
Looking for scooter insurance that will cover me abroad (90 days schengen and 90 days non schengen) without "having my eyes out". Any pointers to the right company to insure with?

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Carole Nash, damm too slow at typing!
You get to talk to the agent who will tailor your policy to your specification not a general fits all one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Carole Nash, damm too slow at typing!
You get to talk to the agent who will tailor your policy to your specification not a general fits all one.
Just rang Carol Nash.... they will only insure 90 days on the continent per year.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I used Bennett’s but that was pre Br**it.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Might be worth trying the C&MC unless anyone knows better.

Edit: if push came to shove you might be able to get third party insurance at the border for your non Schengen part of the trip.

Edit 2: Bikesure say;

European cover for touring motorbikes​

Adventures are what tourer motorbikes were made for, but if you are waiting for nice weather before setting off on the ferry over to France and further afield to get the best experience, then waiting longer to sort European insurance can be infuriating, thankfully if you take a policy out with Bikesure you can be covered for up-to 180 days for an individual trip in Europe with unlimited trips during your policy.

And they also say;
However Bikesure’s Green Card cover could also allow you to travel to the following destinations:

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Belarus
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • North Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Slovenia
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • Vatican City

Cover for every bike on a European road trip​

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just rang Carol Nash.... they will only insure 90 days on the continent per year.
I suspect they all will as the limit is 90 days in 180 days
90 days in EU/shengan then 90 days outside EU/shengan then have to re-enter and pass through EU/shengan countries to return home so 180 days still isn't enough.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suspect they all will as the limit is 90 days in 180 days
90 days in EU/shengan then 90 days outside EU/shengan then have to re-enter and pass through EU/shengan countries to return home so 180 days still isn't enough.
That scenarios isn't correct at day 180 you have been in schngen90 days and out 90 days at day 181 you now have only been in schengen 89 days so you can travel. That takes you back up to 90 but next day another one drops of and you can continue doing this for 90 days when you will need non-schengen again for 90days.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Please also be aware that you may not be covered under your travel insurance while you are using the scooter.

From a previous discussion on the matter:

Ignore the above; the restriction that I refer to relates to Travel Insurance and not vehicle insurance.

Nonetheless, it is an important restriction to be aware of. The image below is from my packaged bank account insurance.

View attachment 465680

Ian

Ian

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Not sure on this but do we not have to pay something like £200 on Scooter on temporary import into the EU, it’s refundable but of course a fuss.l understood this was the case even if the Scooter was in your garage.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Not sure on this but do we not have to pay something like £200 on Scooter on temporary import into the EU, it’s refundable but of course a fuss.l understood this was the case even if the Scooter was in your garage.
I believe if it is a road going scooter with v5, tax insurance mot then no.

If its an off road , perhaps a track bike, then yes I beleive there are some hoops to jump through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back