Schengen Shufflers planning lengthier European trips (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
No, not a word was said and nothing else was stamped in the passport. I believe they are relying on the scanning rather than the stamping. I guess I will know for sure in October.
All a bit sketchy. They must be relying on the scanning. If not that means you are still there.... 🙂

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Mrs Reboot is now busy finding all our previous travel details/documents so she can prove she was sitting by my side when we crossed the border just in case we are challanged if we breach the 90/180 day rule

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
All a bit sketchy. They must be relying on the scanning. If not that means you are still there.... 🙂

Well it should not be 'a bit sketchy' should it?

We the public should be given the information on the Law as it is being applied - a basic principle of the Rule of Law.

I note that while ETIAS was to be introduced in 2022 it is now to be 2023, with no exact date.

As for relying on scanning, I am not yet convinced that all Schengen countries and/or all EU countries have their scanning systems linked and tested. Information seems to be short.

This is no way to treat Citizens and Residents of Democratic countries.

I think it is time for multiple FOI requests to be submitted in multiple countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
So you'd just roll over when they are wrongly applying the law? :LOL:

I don't think anyone said that an individual gains EU citizenship by marrying an EU citizen. (They might in some countries, I don't know). If you read the Border Guards guidance, linked in post #24 by marchie it is clear that a UK citizen accompanied by an EU citizen partner is not restricted by the 90/180 rule and should not therefore have their UK passport stamped on entry. This is what I'm hoping I won't have to argue about.
I’ve searched for Marchie post 24 thread and tried to find relevant section in border guards guidance that refers to UK citizen accompanied by EU citizen not restricted by 90 day rule without success….can anyone send a link please

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I’ve searched for Marchie post 24 thread and tried to find relevant section in border guards guidance that refers to UK citizen accompanied by EU citizen not restricted by 90 day rule without success….can anyone send a link please
Just go back to post #24 in this thread. It's on page 1. The link is there.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There is an interesting question. If you travel together and your EU spouse returns but you stay if your entry isn't recorded how will they know how long you have been there?. Also as the right to stay longer than 90 days is obtained by being with an eu spouse presumably if you are there together for over 90 days if they return you will have to return at the same time or you will be over the 90!.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is an interesting question. If you travel together and your EU spouse returns but you stay if your entry isn't recorded how will they know how long you have been there?. Also as the right to stay longer than 90 days is obtained by being with an eu spouse presumably if you are there together for over 90 days if they return you will have to return at the same time or you will be over the 90!.
No,the UK spouse/partners 90 days does not start until the EU passport holder leaves . It is a nonsensical situation as you have to ensure you have all the details of the EU passport holders entry and exits to validate the "under90 days" of the UK person.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No,the UK spouse/partners 90 days does not start until the EU passport holder leaves . It is a nonsensical situation as you have to ensure you have all the details of the EU passport holders entry and exits to validate the "under90 days" of the UK person.
I had assumed after 90 days the UK persons quota was used up unless they were accompanied which would be a lot easier to manage.

christinaitaly

Free Member
Jul 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
This thread has made things even more confusing. My experience of entering and exiting the EU is that Mrs Reboots UK passport gets stamped even though she is married to an EU citizen. Neither of us have EU residency and don't have intentions of living in any one single EU country for more than 6 months so applying for residency is not an option but we would like to be able to stay in Europe for more than 90 days within a 180 day period.
What I don't have any proof that Mrs Reboot is entitled to do that because she is married to me.
She is worried that simple saying I'm married to an Italian after exceeding her 90 days limit won't help her avoid further repercussions

christinaitaly

Free Member
Jul 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi, we are in exactly the same situation. Both resident in UK, I hold an Irish passport & my husband holds UK passport. His passport was stamped at Calais but mine wasn’t. I’m doing lots of research & have contacted ‘your europe’ about this too. We are in Italy but have been told by the town hall that we need a residential address to stay more than 90 days ( which is an Italian rule to do with the population register not European). I’m thinking we can probably return to UK ( fly ) for a week then return but I’m not sure. Will be interesting to find out more.

christinaitaly

Free Member
Jul 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi, we are in exactly the same situation. Both resident in UK, I hold an Irish passport & my husband holds UK passport. His passport was stamped at Calais but mine wasn’t. I’m doing lots of research & have contacted ‘your europe’ about this too. We are in Italy but have been told by the town hall that we need a residential address to stay more than 90 days ( which is an Italian rule to do with the population register not European). I’m thinking we can probably return to UK ( fly ) for a week then return but I’m not sure. Will be interesting to find out more

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone know what happened to the people in the op?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Anyone know what happened to the people in the op?
I certainly hope they didnt go to Ukraine.

Although you do have to plan a bit more- it does make you consider other alternatives, We re already going to Montenegro this year and following a few posts and conversations Turkey is certainly looming on our radar for next year.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I understand that because there are restrictions with the golden visa, I'm pretty sure you have to spend at least 6 months of the year in Spain - not just in Schengen.
Yes, they just want a holiday villa , not a place to live full time

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, we are in exactly the same situation. Both resident in UK, I hold an Irish passport & my husband holds UK passport. His passport was stamped at Calais but mine wasn’t. I’m doing lots of research & have contacted ‘your europe’ about this too. We are in Italy but have been told by the town hall that we need a residential address to stay more than 90 days ( which is an Italian rule to do with the population register not European). I’m thinking we can probably return to UK ( fly ) for a week then return but I’m not sure. Will be interesting to find out more

You are in exactly the same situation as any EU member travelling in another country. They SHOULD also register to stay after 90 days if a country's rules state that.

(That it's ever done is unlikely. How many Brits did it before Brexit?)

You need to break the 90 days by even one day. Some people go over into Portugal or France. Just make sure you don't go over 182 in any one country for tax reasons. That's a different proposition!

Your partner can travel with you. Make sure you carry proof of being married or in an official partnership.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You are in exactly the same situation as any EU member travelling in another country. They SHOULD also register to stay after 90 days if a country's rules state that.

You need to break the 90 days by even one day. Some people go over into Portugal or France. Just make sure you don't go over 182 in any one country for tax reasons. That's a different proposition!

Your partner can travel with you. Make sure you carry proof of being married or in an official partnership.
Quite, the difference between us and Schengen neighbours is that we are limited to 90 in the schengen zone and they are limited by country. of course its been abused for years especially by the snowbirds.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Quite, the difference between us and Schengen neighbours is that we are limited to 90 in the schengen zone and they are limited by country. of course its been abused for years especially by the snowbirds.

Yes. I think many of us did it for many years. No longer though, unfortunately for some 😥

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes. I think many of us did it for many years. No longer though, unfortunately for some 😥
I think it also flushed some out that were hiding.

I do find it a bit ridiculous that people in the Schengen zone can effectively move to a completely different country and culture with no checks of any kind made. Its perfect for criminals, hence all the Costa del Crime stuff which is apparently still going on:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it also flushed some out that were hiding.

I do find it a bit ridiculous that people in the Schengen zone can effectively move to a completely different country and culture with no checks of any kind made. Its perfect for criminals, hence all the Costa del Crime stuff which is apparently still going on:

The point surely is that the Schengen members have similar standards and accept that freedom of movement is worth any risk of undesirable people traveling in much the same way as we accept freedom of movement from England to Scotland. As they mostly have id cards it's probably easier to track undesirable people than here

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585

I've read this before, somewhere else, but don't know what the effect is. Could you clarify a bit please?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've read this before, somewhere else, but don't know what the effect is. Could you clarify a bit please?

I'm not too well up on this. I should have said over 183 days. If you spend more than half a year in one country (I can only say about Spain here) you are deemed to be tax resident in that country. How the authorities would know for someone with a EU passport, isn't clear, but ... someone travelling with them and having their passport stamped would be found to be over the magic number.

MarionK

Free Member
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
I don't particualrly want to spend more than 6 months out of the UK, but I would like to spend more than 3 months at a time in a single Schengen country. (Portugal probably, but possibly France) I believe it's possible to get a (Tourist?) visa.
I'm not too well up on this. I should have said over 183 days. If you spend more than half a year in one country (I can only say about Spain here) you are deemed to be tax resident in that country. How the authorities would know for someone with a EU passport, isn't clear, but ... someone travelling with them and having their passport stamped would be found to be over the magic number.
Thanks. That got me googling. I should have done a bit before really. I don't really want to be out of the UK for long enough to become tax resident anywhere else, as it will mess with the pittance of pension that I am eligible for, but . . . it's likely to be such a pittance that actually, it could be benficial for me to not be in any country long enough to be tax resident . . . anywhere! o_O
Apparently it is possible! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back