LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
C and CC site just up the road,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh you have to pay to use it I seem to recollect there were six motorhome parking bays on the sealife car park ( long time since been) there are a lot more than six vans in the picture, spoilt by the popularity of motorhoming ! Oh and she was probably no more than an hour away from home in South Yorkshire another August news special!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
She can park there during the day but not overnight ... all she has to do is find somewhere on a quiet side street somewhere, even if it's a bit of a drive to get there, then come back during the day if she so desires so her little darlings can enjoy the beach ... but nooooooooooo ... she wants to be by the sea all the time ... her choice.

NB: I didn't realise you could park overnight on Marine Drive!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The sea life car park offers 24hr tickets but the signs are clear about not sleeping in the vans, the motorhome spces are still there, some had cars in when we were there a couple of weeks ago, but a few placs where you could reverse and have overhang over the grass. (we were at the campsite and had travelled to the centre by car)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
ive always said how would they prove you were sleeping ?if they knock and you answer the door your obviously not asleep
They might be suspicious if they knock on mine ....
1598977462530.png

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
This business of "sleeping" (as opposed to camping) Has always been a farce worthy of the late Brian Rix. We all "slept" in our trucks, any where we could. Having to take "downtime" was MANDATORY.

Camping per-se for days on end IS taking the proverbial. But the odd overnight?, There are signs everywhere exhorting the driver to "take rest not drive tired". BTW. and IMV. Sealife are encouraging it If they are charging a 24 hr fee.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
What’s an FLT ?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I know it sounds like a crazy idea but the woman who had “ nowhere to go “ could have thought about using a camp site ? Sounds a bit odd to “stay up all night worrying a car will crash in to them “

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What is a farce is ALL COUNCIL CARPARKS are free between 6pm and 9am....its only the gullible and idiots who buy a 24hr ticket.
If you buy a 3hr ticket at 5:30pm it expires at 11:30am the following day NOT 8:30pm the same day.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sealife center do enter the equation.... The carpark is COUNCIL OWNED.
Yes. I should have remembered. Mind North Yorks councils are as bad as East Riding. when it come to parking and fee`s. Do they still charge Disabled as well?. I once had to put the cash in the machine for a guy in a wheelchair!.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do they still charge Disabled as well?. I once had to put the cash in the machine for a guy in a wheelchair!.
Yep, certainly do.
Blue badge holder are NOT exempt from charges.
I never use carparks but Park on-street and use my badge.... All day, every day if I want all free of charge. Badge only applies to on-street parking.
The council earned £4.5 million in 2018 from parking charges and parking fines.
I know thats a small amount compared to some cities but its a smallish town.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I might be being thick (answer not required) but if you can park in a car park overnight why can’t you sleep in the vehicle? What difference does it make?
It seems that Spain has the sensible answer with their definition of parking, nothing outside the vehicle, and camping.
It sound like council’s are just being awkward.
Never understood the logic.

Richard.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
I might be being thick (answer not required) but if you can park in a car park overnight why can’t you sleep in the vehicle? What difference does it make?
It seems that Spain has the sensible answer with their definition of parking, nothing outside the vehicle, and camping.

Richard.
Council logic = oxymoron, with emphasis on the moron usually

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I often feel that the "lets drive to the campsite and then home again" guys and girls are often envious of the freedom and adventure that being a FLT brings.

I would suggest that not all site users do that, many use the site as a base near to where they want to be & probably spend as much time off site exploring the area as they do onsite.

We often use sites / touring parks & spend about 20% of our time static just relaxing watching the world go by, the vast majority of our time is spent out & about.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This business of "sleeping" (as opposed to camping) Has always been a farce worthy of the late Brian Rix. We all "slept" in our trucks, any where we could. Having to take "downtime" was MANDATORY.

Camping per-se for days on end IS taking the proverbial. But the odd overnight?, There are signs everywhere exhorting the driver to "take rest not drive tired". BTW. and IMV. Sealife are encouraging it If they are charging a 24 hr fee.
These points have been explained to you countless times. Perhaps if you search back you might understand.

Richard.
Once again, the logic is that in the UK parking and camping are different things. As posted time after time, if anyone wants the UK to change its legislation to match Spain (or any other country) then the answer is to lobby parliament (which nobody seems to want to make the effort to do).
Council logic = oxymoron, with emphasis on the moron usually
Laws are made by parliament, not councils.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes. I should have remembered. Mind North Yorks councils are as bad as East Riding. when it come to parking and fee`s. Do they still charge Disabled as well?. I once had to put the cash in the machine for a guy in a wheelchair!.
Disability does not necessarily equate to being poor. Disabled bays are there to assist people who have difficulty with mobility not financial difficulty.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Disability does not necessarily equate to being poor. Disabled bays are there to assist people who have difficulty with mobility not financial difficulty.
That may be Graham, but it is a fact that the greater majority (of disabled) struggle at the lower financial end of the scale, and get far less assistance than those straight off the boat!. The guy I helped could not reach the ticket machine, it having been placed too high to access from his wheelchair. Dumb dickheads in council offices don`t think beyond the next tea break. The only machine I have come across was placed (at no doubt great expense to the local tax payers) with a ramp and plinth for disabled access, with no barrier to stop a chair accidentally going off the edge either. (Driffield Market BTW). There is one somewhere, in the West Riding if think it was, where they actually placed a machine low down, it was as far away from the disabled bays as it was possible to get!. For the relatively small revenue that comes from genuine disabled, There is IMV NO case for levying a further tax on disability.

Those who think otherwise, should try a few weeks in a wheelchair. It`s the old "walk a mile in his shoes" before you make rash statements.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I know it sounds like a crazy idea but the woman who had “ nowhere to go “ could have thought about using a camp site ? Sounds a bit odd to “stay up all night worrying a car will crash in to them “
Try getting on one near by at the moment. Plus we looked up a night on a Haven site £79 and that was last minute, so the pitch would end up empty.

The Sealife carpark was ideal for motorhomes. We have parked there and on Marine drive. BTW the council banned it on Marine Drive but the ban was overturned as they had been telling porkies.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
These points have been explained to you countless times. Perhaps if you search back you might understand.

Once again, the logic is that in the UK parking and camping are different things. As posted time after time, if anyone wants the UK to change its legislation to match Spain (or any other country) then the answer is to lobby parliament (which nobody seems to want to make the effort to do).

Laws are made by parliament, not councils.
And bylaws?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We're on a cl and have been on 3 this week they all had spaces. The problem could be people booking but not turning up Liz says that the Facebook cl booking group page was appealing to people not to book more than one cl per night. Sounds like some people (there are other words) book a few cls then at the last minute decide which one to use. Maybe its time the CMC asked CLS to report no shows to see if there's a pattern. It's like allowing people to book club sites with no deposits some will just take the Mick.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
SBC are well known for making illegal traffic orders. Their night parking ban on Marine drive was because of loss of view!!!! It was overthrown as there was no view lost as the ban was at night. Also as the vans were parked at the foot of the cliff/hill they couldnt block any view!
They then stated it was for environmental reasons. They said someone had been seen dumping a cassette in the sea. When asked for a date or evidence their reply was that the report was anecdotal!!!!
All the traders I spoke to around Scarborough were all for motorhome parking. Especially in the winter when trade is very poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back