Satellite Dish (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Hi I am thinking of getting a Satellite Dish fitted. When travel allows we do go to Spain (Barcelona-Valencia area) can anyone recommend a tried and tested system, is there any advantages between manual search and auto - skew dished.

thanks

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have an Oyster 2 sat system, which is really good, and worked in The Bay of Roses.
But imo I would get a firestick and a mifi and get a 100gb data sim card and use that. I know there are data restrictions coming but will work better and far far cheaper.
We tend to use the firestick far more than the sat dish.
Others will have different opinions that's just mine.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The auto skew will help if or when you get to the edges of the satellite footprint. In the UK I don't bother with my satellite preferring to stream from a mifi with unlimited data, however if you haven't already got a contract, many new ones are charging quite a lot for European usage, so if you decide to stream take that into account.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I think the only way to get cheap data abroad now is to get a local SIM card. We have an oyster auto skew and can get sky and sometimes bbc and itv around Valencia but it can be patchy. We also have an icecrypt sat receiver where we can pick uk channels all over Spain on the intelsat satellite.

OP
OP
Sunseeker
Sep 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Thanks all very helpful, it might be my choice of mifi, I’m using 3, with a Fire-stick but had little joy with that, it just keeps buffering, been away 4 days 2 with a normal tv signal and 2 without and constant buffering over mifi, hence the thought of getting a Satellite dish for home and abroad.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks all very helpful, it might be my choice of mifi, I’m using 3, with a Fire-stick but had little joy with that, it just keeps buffering, been away 4 days 2 with a normal tv signal and 2 without and constant buffering over mifi, hence the thought of getting a Satellite dish for home and abroad.
Are you in the UK at the moment or in Europe? If in Europe you might try changing your mifi settings from auto select network to manual and try different networks also a solid 3g signal may be better than a weak 4g one. I believe that your firestick may be able to have its resolution reduced to SD rather than HD which may also help with buffering.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
To answer your question about Sat Dishes, we have mounted on our Hymer an 80cm Oyster...it will work fine around the Valencia region....other regions of Spain, perhaps not..but the main disadvantage is you are unable to choose a shady location....but that doesn't need saying, but I did anyway. That's when IPTV wins the day..

OP
OP
Sunseeker
Sep 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Thanks Chris L and Jamar,

I am in the uk at the moment, but hopefully back abroad soon (not that’s there’s anything wrong with UK)

But looking at some the info online about the external 3/4/5G external receivers that might be a more effective option. Thanks all for your comments.

Deleted User
I concur. We have an oyster v 85 cm auto skew dish, but will mainly use data aboard to watch TV as sky footprint has reduced quite a lot since our first installation in 2018. Lucky to get just a few UK channels in the med area, but generally always get very strong 4g signal, and through vpn can watch uk TV no probs.

It is also rare that we get a clear line of sight to the satellite owing to wanting to be under trees for shade.

New roaming issues could be a problem, will need to see how that goes!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well all this talk of streaming is the future does not work for me! I bought an unlimited Vodafone data card for Portugal and it’s forever buffering making the tv almost unwatchable. There has to be a better way!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Well all this talk of streaming is the future does not work for me! I bought an unlimited Vodafone data card for Portugal and it’s forever buffering making the tv almost unwatchable. There has to be a better way!
Perhaps you could try going into settings and select network manually, also a strong 3g signal may perform better then a weak 4g one.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Using fire stick with Vodaphone near Valencia..No problems whatsoever,,BUSBY.

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We have a 65 cm Teleco Sat dish fitted on our van. We are currently sat in Blanes in Northern Spain and although we can’t get the standard uk channels we have managed to get a few watchable channels including a few English speaking news channels.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Switching to Intelsat 901 will get you all the mainstream channels plus BBC radio all over the Iberian peninsula using an 85cm dish and an appropriate sat receiver with the necessary firmware

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Switching to Intelsat 901 will get you all the mainstream channels plus BBC radio all over the Iberian peninsula using an 85cm dish and an appropriate sat receiver with the necessary firmware
Will a standard sky + hd box receive intelsat 901 or do i need a different receiver.?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Will a standard sky + hd box receive intelsat 901 or do i need a different receiver.?
Different receiver which can be had for around £100 with the necessary firmware
I use one of these
B6CD55D8-9DE1-48B4-9183-347978CC0503.jpeg

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Intelsat 907 is an encoded back up transmission of some UK channels and you need an Icecrypt or similar receiver that can unlock your viewing of these channels. Even then its a very limited list of channels see webpage below. Not worth the effort IMO, go wifi and Firestick with a VPN app. https://www.isatdb.com/en/satellite/intelsat-907

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Portugal buy Nos data sim €30 per month used to be unlimited good signal

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Intelsat 907 is an encoded back up transmission of some UK channels and you need an Icecrypt or similar receiver that can unlock your viewing of these channels. Even then its a very limited list of channels see webpage below. Not worth the effort IMO, go wifi and Firestick with a VPN app. https://www.isatdb.com/en/satellite/intelsat-907
How many do you need
BBC1
BBC2
ITV 1
Channel 4
Channel 5
More 4
BBC news
BBC radio plus a few more is enough for most people
Streaming is far from reliable
I had a roof mounted antenna MaXview roam on my last Motorhome and had many instances where the phone signal was crap
With weak or non existent 3/4G
Try inland Spain there are many areas where it’s totally unreliable and it buffers
Satellite always works as long as you have a relatively clear line of site west or south dependant on which satellite your on
The days of unlimited data abroad are coming to an end
With many only allowing a measly 25gb a month under fair usage policy

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
How many do you need
BBC1
BBC2
ITV 1
Channel 4
Channel 5
More 4
BBC news
I had a roof mounted antenna MaXview roam on my last Motorhome and had many instances where the phone signal was crap
Try inland Spain there are many areas where it’s totally unreliable and it buffers
Satellite always works as long as you have a relatively clear line of site west or south dependant on which satellite your on
Last van had an Oyster 5 and Icecrypt box. Over £2,700 worth. New van has a mifi rooftop unit and I can buy an aweful lot of data with the money I've saved. We only stay in coastal Spain and usually have sufficient signal strength to watch with minimal buffering.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I reduced the video quality, still get some buffering and the video is now way out with the audio! Tried to adjust that but still way out! Give me satellite any day compared to this crap!

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Every Tom, dick and Harry will say get this and that.

I have a Satellite dish on my roof and trust me you will not use it much save your money.

Best option is get WiFi fitted with a good SIM card for date and use a firestick to steam your programs and other material.

You will save yourself a fortune.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
How many do you need
BBC1
BBC2
ITV 1
Channel 4
Channel 5
More 4
BBC news
The days of unlimited data abroad are coming to an end
With many only allowing a measly 25gb a month under fair usage policy
Never had a problem using my phone to tether my Firestick to anywhere in Spain,Portugal or France over the last three years.Sold my sat dish thank goodness,

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

I have a Satellite dish on my roof and trust me you will not use it much save your money.

Best option is get WiFi fitted with a good SIM card for date and use a firestick to steam your programs and other material.

Although you will only get a few days of telly if you tour in Europe before you run out of data.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

Well I thought I had done that! £28 per month Vodafone data only sim for unlimited data. OK in the UK. Fair use policy of 25Gb kicked in on our trip to Spain & Portugal and just cut off! Bought Portuguese unlimited data Vodafone card for 15 days and get buffering during every program but of course not during the adverts! Have I chosen the wrong VPN perhaps? It really is dire.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Never had a problem using my phone to tether my Firestick to anywhere in Spain,Portugal or France over the last three years.Sold my sat dish thank goodness,
Maybe you don’t go to remote places I’ve had issues with poor phone
signal and constant buffering and that’s with a 4G roof mounted antenna
Try the Alps or central inland Spain lots of blank spots where the phone signal is available but weak .
Last year in Germany along the Mosel
No phone signal in many parts or only 2G TV impossible via the phone network
Satellite worked faultlessly
The days of unlimited data are coming to an end
25gb under the fair usually policy is what 25 hours at best of live TV
Wouldn’t last me a week

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Try the Alps or central inland Spain lots of blank spots where the phone signal is available but weak .
Wouldn’t last me a week
Spend most our travelling time in inland Spain and Portugal,,never a problem..I do however get buffering on Amazon Prime when using one of my phones at home..BUSBY.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Wouldn’t last me a week
Perhaps consider getting a Sky mobile sim. This allows use of your account in the UK and EU (at the moment). I'm saving my unused data in the piggybank scheme for use in EU in January. You can also buy one off data bundles if needed and change your monthly subscription to fit your need. And no I'm not a Sky salesman! Happened by good luck to be a Sky mobile customer and it looks like they will not be limiting data use in the EU. Fingers crossed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back