Sat Nav ... keeps taking us on a mystery tour! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a bit of a heads-up to those who use Sygic sav nav software as it can lead you astray or take you on mystery tours! :confused:

We have a 10" tablet with Sygic sat nav on and usually swear by it (rather than at it) however on the last 2 holidays it occasionally has a little 'wander' for no reason, taking a detour rather than the direct route, eg sometimes it decides to take us off a motorway, onto a side road, then back on the motorway again ... no idea why but its happened before and although we've had some 'lovely' village mystery tours it's also very annoying when it decided to take us down road then are then dead ends which it thinks aren't due to their being rough tracks at the end of them which we can use too ... this is despite having the 'use unpaved roads' turned off.

It's also having difficulty working out how many exits there are on roundabouts, sometimes it counts the little roads, sometimes not, sometimes one-way ones ON to the roundabout are classes as exits, other times they're not, the map graphics and the voice instructions therefore aren't totally 'in sync' in this regard. It means that we are having to be very careful with it when passing any junctions etc to make sure whether we should or shouldn't be taking them. The latest version of the software has a glitch which sometimes states that "it is not possible to reach X without using toll roads" which we knew was wrong as we'd done the same routes before, so we switched back to the earlier version and had no such problem.

Today we had a merry little tour round to try to get to a lovely night stop next to a beach, 3 times it tried to take us down stupid little tracks and in the end we made our way back to a main road and I managed to work out which way we SHOULD have been directed using PROPER roads! It was worth it in the end as the location is beautiful and there's just us and another campervan here, we are literally a few feet from the beach itself and the sound of the waves is glorious (although someone on the Park4night site said they didn't like it here as the noise of the sea meant they couldn't sleep! :doh:

The issues appear to be down to the maps that Sygic use which obviously haven't been updated for a LONG time seeing as some of the supposed roads had grass growing over them! However, it is possible to use the same mapping that TomTom does with Sygic so when we get back home we'll give that a try instead.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
These things gradually become attuned to their owners thought processes. A bit like dogs.
Thus, if they notice your mind wanders from time to time, they assume you like that so start to do it as well.
(Now, where's my pills?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hubby uses Co-Pilot on his phone and that has had hiccups in the past & we’ve ended up with a detour or ‘short cut’ that makes no sense at all..
I suppose really it’s a wonder that something in space can direct us so well from that distance!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I’ve stopped relying on them. If I’m going somewhere I don’t know, I plot the precise route I want to take and upload it to the SatNav. That way I can relax knowing I’m being guided on my own preferred route yy.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had no end of troubles with sygic in france so paid for tom tom on our android device

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I suppose really it’s a wonder that something in space can direct us so well from that distance!

The "something"(s) in space only allow the box to work out where we are: it's the idiots on the ground who know (or don't) where the roads are and what they are like, who write the computer code which works out which way to go and who have "friends" who write adverts telling us that we can enjoy accurate, time-saving "best choices" made for us. :(

I've written on several occasions about the ridiculous routes that my TT Pro6200 (new in March 2018 and updated whenever possible) had chosen for me during 2.5km in Spain: forest tracks adjacent to a dual carriageway which I was already on, service roads alongside main roads, through the centre of villages when lovely bypasses exist all selected when set to "environmentally friendly routing". Now I only use "fastest route" but make detours if I really fancy going into a town.

To be fair, we spent Sept in Germany (plus surrounding countries for a few miles) doing 2500miles and TT only got it wrong three times: twice wanting me to go under low bridges and once down a logging track which Autoroute 2010 (once I'd got home) wouldn't route me down (as a car) until I placed waypoints every 20m [unfortunately there was nowhere to turn round so we did 3 miles, luckily without meeting anything].

Ultimately, I acknowledge that with all of its problems, our TT has been a boon in general navigation and has saved umpteen arguments about which page of the map to be on etc, especially whilst going through towns. (y)

Gordon

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I’ve stopped relying on them. If I’m going somewhere I don’t know, I plot the precise route I want to take and upload it to the SatNav. That way I can relax knowing I’m being guided on my own preferred route (y).
I do this all the time with my Garmin unit, would never trust any satnav to go the way I want.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Same problem on our Copilot regarding roundabout exits.

Now have it set to 2D split screen which shows a diagram of the roundabout and the general direction of the required exit. It's certainly helped.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a bit of a heads-up to those who use Sygic sav nav software as it can lead you astray or take you on mystery tours! :confused:

We have a 10" tablet with Sygic sat nav on and usually swear by it (rather than at it) however on the last 2 holidays it occasionally has a little 'wander' for no reason, taking a detour rather than the direct route, eg sometimes it decides to take us off a motorway, onto a side road, then back on the motorway again ... no idea why but its happened before and although we've had some 'lovely' village mystery tours it's also very annoying when it decided to take us down road then are then dead ends which it thinks aren't due to their being rough tracks at the end of them which we can use too ... this is despite having the 'use unpaved roads' turned off.

It's also having difficulty working out how many exits there are on roundabouts, sometimes it counts the little roads, sometimes not, sometimes one-way ones ON to the roundabout are classes as exits, other times they're not, the map graphics and the voice instructions therefore aren't totally 'in sync' in this regard. It means that we are having to be very careful with it when passing any junctions etc to make sure whether we should or shouldn't be taking them. The latest version of the software has a glitch which sometimes states that "it is not possible to reach X without using toll roads" which we knew was wrong as we'd done the same routes before, so we switched back to the earlier version and had no such problem.

Today we had a merry little tour round to try to get to a lovely night stop next to a beach, 3 times it tried to take us down stupid little tracks and in the end we made our way back to a main road and I managed to work out which way we SHOULD have been directed using PROPER roads! It was worth it in the end as the location is beautiful and there's just us and another campervan here, we are literally a few feet from the beach itself and the sound of the waves is glorious (although someone on the Park4night site said they didn't like it here as the noise of the sea meant they couldn't sleep! :doh:

The issues appear to be down to the maps that Sygic use which obviously haven't been updated for a LONG time seeing as some of the supposed roads had grass growing over them! However, it is possible to use the same mapping that TomTom does with Sygic so when we get back home we'll give that a try instead.

we had no end of troubles with sygic in france so paid for tom tom on our android device
as @Minxy Girl says she has used it before and it was ok , maybe a different use than us as i cant get any sense out of sygic at all, and have now ditched it and have tried various but always end up going back to" here maps" it doesnt have any bells and whistles but will always get you there by the best route.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It's an advanced Sat Nav game they play among themselves and its called.." I cannot Spy with my camera in the sky" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: To while away an uneventfull journey:rolleyes::rolleyes: Go to Mega Warp speed,that cures it!!
Tea Bag

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We are running Copilot Caravan which is obviously male because if you take a wrong turn it will never tell you to stop, turn around and go back to the original road you were on only 50 yards away, no it knows better and takes you off on a 20 mile detour to end up 5 miles down the road from where you cocked up, but while we were in Germany earlier this year the detours did lead to a couple of nice spots of the beaten track to stop for lunch.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Have you set it to avoid traffic problems?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like every satnav we have had. Since I coughed up for map update this year it's been worse.
The boss runs a laptop with Autoroute and a GPS receiver so she usally shouts "you don't want to go that way" often too late and I've already commited. :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We are running Copilot Caravan which is obviously male because if you take a wrong turn it will never tell you to stop, turn around and go back to the original road you were on only 50 yards away, no it knows better and takes you off on a 20 mile detour to end up 5 miles down the road from where you cocked up, but while we were in Germany earlier this year the detours did lead to a couple of nice spots of the beaten track to stop for lunch.
Sounds like you have it set to "No U Turns"

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We had all of Minxy Girl's problems when we bought an Aguri three years ago. It crashed completely when we were in France but they sent out an FOC replacement to Carcassone. Aguri wouldn't accept the problems and they were prepared to argue, so we sent it back for a full refund. We had tried using the 'motorhome' option to avoid low bridges & town centres, but it made some ridiculous decisions, sending us miles out of our way, advising to take roads up mountains & into fields and grossly overestimating our ETA. We fell back on our old Garmin and now use maps and judgement ... far more reliable.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I’ve stopped relying on them. If I’m going somewhere I don’t know, I plot the precise route I want to take and upload it to the SatNav. That way I can relax knowing I’m being guided on my own preferred route (y).
I do the same, using coordinates from MS Autoroute, or Google Maps (more up to date),

@Minxy Girl. Mel, I had the same problem you are experiencing, when I used my TomTom. It would take me off a relatively quiet Autoroute, and on to secondary routes. :mad:
I then discovered I had some "historical traffic" option selected, and it was re-routing to take me away from known congestion areas. :doh: As soon as I knocked that off, all was fine. (y)

The iGo software and Truck Maps on the XGoddy and NavTech units does similar if you have the "No U Turns" box checked, (as it thinks you are a Truck), but only up to the next available roundabout, however, out in the rural areas that could be several miles away. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
How do you go about that with the Garmin?
Use Mapsource or Basecamp, Garmin's own free off-line mapping programs.

Not the most intuitive to use, but once you get to grips with either, they are excellent.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How do you go about that with the Garmin?

Use Mapsource or Basecamp, Garmin's own free off-line mapping programs.

Not the most intuitive to use, but once you get to grips with either, they are excellent.

Yes basecamp too (y) Its a bit clunky but once you get used to it, then it works really well. You telling the sat nav the precise route you want to take is great, no matter what you are driving. And, especially useful if you have a big motorhome and don't want to go green-laning. :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I use iGO Prima on my Clarion stereo I use set to Lorry as often selects the larger roads but sometimes gets to send you under a 2 m bridge where as set on car it avoids the bridge also try to takeà
So have I somewhere but Autoroute is long out of date now, MapsMe will do the same on a suitable Android device.
Use Maps.me on my phone but we still prefer Autoroute for planning and keeping a record of our trip, shame you can't update the maps.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a tom tom each, both updated to the same version prior to going abroad. same settings, different routes!! not always but a couple of times, am not counting when someone, who must remain nameless as he might get miffed i have told all, put the wrong co ordinates in ;-)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
shame you can't update the maps.

I remember my last work on it, it turns out the last maps out work with earlier versions so I managed to download the maps and swap them into my older copy protected software.

I think W10 got rid of all my old downloads.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I remember my last work on it, it turns out the last maps out work with earlier versions so I managed to download the maps and swap them into my older copy protected software.

I think W10 got rid of all my old downloads.
Up to version 2007 you could download the trial version of later Autoroute or Map & Streets and copy the data over. They fixed that backdoor in the 2010 version. Last version was 2013 which I'm using.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you set it to avoid traffic problems?
I shall ask buggerlugs in the morning as he's gone to bed already and see if so, see if turning it off makes a difference. I suspect, though, that the mapping for Spain is just pants and the gps location accuracy in some of the coastal areas is bad as we have had it 'lose' us completely sometimes. At present we are on the North East side of Spain, just down past Coruna and it 'lost' us again on our way here travelling southwards ... its beautiful scenery though!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We have a camper prat nav on the dashboard, that even though we have our van dimensions entered, it still tries to take us down unrealistic routes. Doris, as we call it when being kind has a habit of finding tiny back roads and circuitous routes when we are close to our destination and straight line navigation avoiding logical main roads when we are a distance away. The map nag (me) navigates the old fashioned way and has the right of veto at all times over the route that Doris suggests

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Our car sat navs give us the option of 4 different routes. These can be displayed on the screen. Then one can preview the route. It follows the route showing each road taken. The maps can be zoomed in to a very large scale to see tricky junctions etc, and if necessary I can use Google maps street view to check if there are any awkward points along the way such as low bridges.

I doubt ours are the only sat navs with these features, but then how many people take the trouble to find all the features of their sat navs?

I often use the co-ordinates features to find exact locations, again with the help of Google maps. When I mention this to friends they almost always claim their sat nav will not accept co-ordinates.

Putting vehicle dimensions into a sat nav is only of any use if the maps included carry this information. Most UK maps don't as yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back