Sardinia 2019 (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
I've used this forum many times to help plan trips, so I thought it might be helpful to others if I gave my thoughts on our experience.
We will remember it most for the most beautiful beaches of any trip so far we have done, on many parts of the island, but mostly in the west. The stunning scenery getting from one stop to another (roads are mostly good but signs are poor to misleading). The people are amongst the most friendly and warm we have encountered.

We thoroughly recommend it as a destination, if the above ticks your boxes. We have taken a month to tour the circumference of the island, starting in olbia on May 7. We haven't stayed in the interior but have seen quite a bit of it whilst on our travels.

A few things to bear in mind.... We were plagued by strong winds for the first week or so and it wasn't that warm in the evenings. Warming up nicely now. Many of the villages and towns are very sleepy indeed in the early season. We haven't found many of the villages and towns all that attractive apart from a few such as alghero, bosa, Santa teresa di gallura. That said we haven'tseen them all.......

Early season there was no problem finding space in campsites and wild camping seems accepted so long as you don't get chairs tables awnings out.

We booked ferries a few days before we planned to cross without problems and printed off tickets in the campsite. Probably be fine without a print out but having not done it can't be certain.

Fav stops for us were... Buggeru sosta, camping tonnera, camping isuledda, camping dune, wild camping at porto pozzi with fish restaurant. We used a scooter to explore the areas we stopped at. Pushbikes could find some of the areas challenging. Hope that helps. Happy to answer questions about stops etc.

Rose

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Agree. I also found very few attractive villages or towns , I believe its because it had very few occupants until the 1930's when Mussolini tried to increase the numbers by building more places. Sadly the 30's architecture wasn't that appealing. But as you say gorgeous beaches.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nice one Roseandpeter you re certainly better off being there right now its horrible in Shropshire.

When we went (2012) it was considerably cheaper to get a ferry from Italy rather than France. Is that still the case?

Our favourite was Buggeru as well, not much there but just wonderful to park up next to the crashing waves
DSCF4072.JPG
DSCF4080.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Jon :) just waiting for the ferry to Corsica. It is a very small port here at Santa teresa. All the info told us to turn up at least 90 minutes prior to sailing. We did, only to be turned back and told to come back in 30 minutes as there was another scheduled sailing going out at 9am. there was no room for the vehicles from the 10am sailing. Ha ha

Are they the steps down to neptune caves near alghero? It said there were 642 steps down.... Needless to say we didn't go down.... It was too windy for the boats on the day we were there so we didn't fancy the climb back up.

Hope the weather turns better soon for you x

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We found the Corsicans less friendly than the sardinians note the sign at one of the campsites
P1010243.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
For info... The moby ferry from Santa teresa to Bonifacio is a Roll on roll off ferry and far more substantial than the blunavy ferry, where reversing on is necessary. Moby decks look better for viewing the entry into ports too. Few more euros for the ticket for moby but worth it, I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back