Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, My friend has just told me about Safefill refillable gas, I'm very interested and will buy 2 of these instead of my calor gas exchangable bottles,,what are the pro's or cons of Safefill ,if any ,thank you

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Pro's. lightweight to handle and cheap to fill. Work on about 1/2 price of your current refill prices.

Cons. Some places dont like / wont let you stand on a forecourt filling a stand alone bottle. Safefill have a list but how accurate it is I dont know.. I bought the 10kg one back in the summer, lucky for me i have a small independant gas seller only 2 miles along the same road we live on :xThumb: I put bottle in car and drive down for a fill up.. I decided against 2 bottles as i use a standard Flogas for the other, my view is that i will always get the safefill topped up before i go on any long trips. The Flogas is backup and can be swopped out over most of GB if needed..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Biggest problem with them is they are a single hole bottle so they can not be permanently installed with an external filler. You have to disconnect them to fill and they fill through the output valve.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I had one and thought is was very good and saved a lot of money. Lightweight and cheap. It just doesn't fit in my present van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
They are brilliant really no hassle In just dis- connecting and very easy to fill. Another advantage is if and when you sell you can take the bottles with you.

Bought mine from Hamilton Gas Products. Good price on Easyfill and VERY competitive on Gaslow accessories.

Colyboy

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
They appear to be very good in many respects, but I was deterred by the faff of having to disconnect them to refill each time - similar to Calor exchangeable bottles in that respect. Also the possibility of difficulty finding places willing to supply the lpg.

I now have a single 11kg gas-it refillable bottle plumbed in with an external filler point, and 6kg Calor Lite exchange bottle. The refillable bottle cost just under £300 professionally installed by a technician on our drive at home - so very convenient.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They are brilliant really no hassle In just dis- connecting and very easy to fill. Another advantage is if and when you sell you can take the bottles with you.
If you don't have problems getting them filled.
No problems swapping ordinary refillables to the next van. My 2 X 14 kg Alugas bottles were transferred from my last van.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
They may well be the lightest solution you can get. Check that you can re-fill locally. Many have said that garages are not allowing to refill loose bottles but it may be hearsay. If you can fill locally, you may not need to fill elsewhere. I refill within the gas locker, anyway.
No different to using Calor bottles, except lighter and cheaper to fill. You can remove one and use it for remote BBQ or Genny, not needing to be tethered to a fixed BBQ point.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got two Safefill bottles - I used to travel with one plus an ordinary Calor bottle, but found that one wouldn't last for a 2 week holiday, just less hassle not to need to fill up whilst away.

I like them but I think it does depend on how much you use your MH - if you go away a lot then "plumbed in" bottles from Alugas are less hassle, as you don't need to disconnect the bottles to fill them.

Safefill suits me though as I don't need to take the van out to get them filled up before I go away, I just put them in the car. I use one with a heater in my garage in winter. I've never been refused a fill on them by a petrol station - once a station asked me about them but when I explained and showed them to them they were happy.

I've also noticed that used ones sell on Ebay for close to the price of new ones, they are always in demand.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Probably ok filling here at certain places but what chance would have of getting filled abroad when in locker fill can cause problems compared to exterior filling point

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Sorry to disagree with MF but we have had our Safefill bottles for about six years. Over that time have travelled most of Europe ,we have never had an issue when filling .

Colyboy

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Probably ok filling here at certain places but what chance would have of getting filled abroad when in locker fill can cause problems compared to exterior filling point
I have never had a problem filling , I fitted the fill point inside the gas locker,afterall you are meant to shut your bottles before filling anyway.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They're light enough to take to the fill point if you have to. Surely that's safe enough

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had two in c/van days,refill no problem and you can see how much is left,Super. Now have underslung tank...Super.
Tea Bag

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Had one in the caravan that paid for itself over time and filled at a local Shell station :eek: Would not fit in my new Moho locker so sold, all profit. Bought twin 6Kg kit off a Funster and had the filler hole and gas test sorted for £35. Never looked back. Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
AS I've said on other threads had a women run out of a garage in Portugal shouting "we don't fill bottles" I pointed at the external filler and said "it's a tank" she said "OK" and filled me.

As said depends how much you use, I've put in 220 Lt so far this year and need filling now. Probably will take 50+ Lt.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If i was prepared to keep disconnecting a bottle and taking it out for refilling similar to a safefill that i could see level in i'd just buy a calorlite for £10 or thereabouts that you can see level in and but a fill adaptor and take chances and just use the homebrew method.

Like it or not everyone to their own

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
the external filler and said "it's a tank" she said "OK" and filled me.
Hi.
Same here at the local BP Mortagua,a local to us station,go in now and there is no problem. Word of advice,a garage near Nelas has altered the connection from the "Spanish cup?" to the knew EU one.
Tea Bag.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Check this thread if you go for the safefill cylinder may or maynot be worth thinking about
Where can I refill Safefill gas bottle in Spain

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
@Wombles and @colyboy
As users, can you please clarify if the 10kg Safefill tank holds 10kg when full or 8kg (80% max fill). I am interested but would like to know the full load since we have fewer filling stations in the Highlands and I run the heating off the gas when off grid.
Thanks
Sue

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@Wombles and @colyboy
As users, can you please clarify if the 10kg Safefill tank holds 10kg when full or 8kg (80% max fill). I am interested but would like to know the full load since we have fewer filling stations in the Highlands and I run the heating off the gas when off grid.
Thanks
Sue

Specs off the website state it holds 19.5ltrs,,
On first fill there is a max amount you can put in (label on bottle), with mine I have never been down to empty so cant confirm the max. Others may be able to give better accounts of what they have refilled, :xThumb:

http://www.safefill.co.uk/our-cylinders.html

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
@Wombles and @colyboy
Thanks
Sue
That's the max fill level, although I'm pretty sure I pay for more than 20l when I fill mine up.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
That's the max fill level, although I'm pretty sure I pay for more than 20l when I fill mine up.
Thanks @two . That's interesting.

I had a look at the German webpage and they provide a bit more detail.

Specifications:

• Propane capacity: 10 kg
  • Butane Capacity: 12 Kg
  • 80% - net gas capacity: 19.6 L and 8.8 Kg
  • Total capacity: 24.5 L
The 19.6L and 8.8kg refer to Butane since 80% of 10kg is 8kg... "Gees ma, all the education didn't go to waste!":xeek:
So, I will assume that the large cylinders will hold a maximum of "somewhere about" 8 kg each.
I still have to decide if they will fit into my gas locker... and at least one of the local suppliers shown on the Safefill website has closed down, so I need to make sure that I can get them filled somewhere near us.

A project for next year :xgrin:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
All gas bottles state the 100% filled weight .. ie a 7kg bottle holds 7kg .. 11kg holds 11kg etc.

no need to subtract 20% anything when filling.. 1kg LPG = 1.96 L.

LPG pump measures in litres , so when filling, for easy calculation 2L = 1kg ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back