Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone use these , ..who installs them, and are the better than normal steel refillable cylinders, I'm using calor exchangeable atm ...I am a newbie full timer (6 months) and need some sound advice...Kind regards, Paul & Pippa

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had them on a c/van when they first came out,Magic...however...Underslung bulk tank is the way for you to go. Fill up at most garages anywhere...sorted.

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm happy using them, self-installed.
What is best for you will depend on your needs.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There are various options of refillable gas bottles & as mentioned above which is best for you depends on how you would use it - perhaps start with a search on the threads discussing Safefill, Gaslow & Gasit bottles as lots of discussion about all these on the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have one, They dont need installation, just lift in and out like a standard bottle BUT so much lighter...
Luckily I have a gas company only 2 miles away that does the filling, so i just take it down in my car..

Stock everywhere seems to be sold out at present, give it a while and once the camping season starts lots will have them.
Expensive outlay but if you work on the re-fills being 1/2 of what you pay now it will pay back, plus the bottle as second hand always has a good value..

If your fulltime you certainly need something like this or a proper re-fillable system like Gas-it or Gaslo.. Otherwise your paying a fortune on Calor type bottle swops..

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have one, They dont need installation, just lift in and out like a standard bottle BUT so much lighter...
Luckily I have a gas company only 2 miles away that does the filling, so i just take it down in my car..

Stock everywhere seems to be sold out at present, give it a while and once the camping season starts lots will have them.
Expensive outlay but if you work on the re-fills being 1/2 of what you pay now it will pay back, plus the bottle as second hand always has a good value..

If your fulltime you certainly need something like this or a proper re-fillable system like Gas-it or Gaslo.. Otherwise your paying a fortune on Calor type bottle swops..
agreed I'm paying a fortune with calor exchangeable ..can I just drive in to garage with MH and refill the safefill cylinders

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not all garages that sell autogas will allow you to fill safefill cylinders on the forecourt

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
how do you fill them?
I remove them and take them to a local place to re-fill, in the car.
I have also filled them within the gas locker.
So far, I've not been stopped from filling. Maybe I've been lucky.
If you have not yet committed to SafeFill, check around locally to make sure you wouldn't have a problem refilling. Most of my refills are done locally and I think there's a cheap outlet in Dudley.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I remove them and take them to a local place to re-fill, in the car.
I have also filled them within the gas locker.
So far, I've not been stopped from filling. Maybe I've been lucky.
If you have not yet committed to SafeFill, check around locally to make sure you wouldn't have a problem refilling. Most of my refills are done locally and I think there's a cheap outlet in Dudley.
Thank you ,,you're correct about the new filling outlet in Dudley but I'm going uk touring and need to know I can fill up without any problem..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safefill can be an issue as stated above.. Garages dont like you taking out standalone bottles and filling them.
Small independant and a few garages allow it and safefill do have a list of places..

Fulltime and travelling then you really should look at a proper system of either bottles or fitted underslung tank (y)
Lots of info on here about those, just search and read up..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Best bet is to go for a twin 11kg refillable Gaslow, Gas-it or Alugas refillable system as this will give you more capacity than even an underslung tank will and not cost anything like as much, also if you change MHs in the future you can take the system with you, not so easy with a fitted tank.

I wouldn't go down the Safefill route as there are sometimes issues with refilling and having to connect and disconnect the pipe isn't my idea of fun and negates some of the benefit of a 'fit and forget' gas system where you only have to stick the nozzle on to an external fill point. Living in a MH in winter you could get through quite a lot of gas and might come up against places which will not let you fill the Safefill ones but are more likely to not even notice you filling via an external fill point.

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thank you ,,you're correct about the new filling outlet in Dudley but I'm going uk touring and need to know I can fill up without any problem..
I think SafeFill have a list or map of suppliers that are happy to refill. I've not needed to use it, so cannot comment, but it would be a guide. I have two bottles. Usually start off with full ones if out for a while, else use one at a time and start looking for more when the first is empty.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I know the flogas depot at Catfield in Norfolk will not allow Safefill cylinders as I filled our gaslow there 2 weeks ago and a notice on pump stating no Safefill.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know the flogas depot at Catfield in Norfolk will not allow Safefill cylinders as I filled our gaslow there 2 weeks ago and a notice on pump stating no Safefill.
Thank you, How much would a 11 and 6 kg gaslow system cost to be installed..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I am not sure now I have had my bottles 11 years now and they are in the 3rd motorhome. If you google gaslow the prices and details on website.
With you full timing you would soon recover the cost. The cost of the gas is less than half the cost of calor.

Steve

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am not sure now I have had my bottles 11 years now and they are in the 3rd motorhome. If you google gaslow the prices and details on website.
With you full timing you would soon recover the cost. The cost of the gas is less than half the cost of calor.

Steve
Thanks Steve

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got 2 Safefill bottles and have never had any problems with filling them, I think a lot of the talk of garages refusing them is scaremongering, the odd one or two I'm sure but it's not widespread. But - you do need to disconnect them every time you want to fill them and depending on access you may need to lift them out of the locker to fill them.

For those reasons alone if you're fulltiming and regularly needing to refill I'd get a "plumbed-in" system like Gaslow or similar, with a fixed filler mounted on the van.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As has been mentioned not all garages have autogas, in fact most don't. We have one Gaslow cylinder and one exchange Calor type bottle. If the Gaslow runs out we switch to the exchange bottle and then refill the Gaslow when we're close to a garage with autogas.

two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I chose SafeFill to save a bit of weight. If payload is an issue, look at AluGas.
If you use SafeFill and find that refilling is difficult, you should be able to sell the cylinders quite easily and move on to something plumbed-in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got 2 Safefill bottles and have never had any problems with filling them, I think a lot of the talk of garages refusing them is scaremongering, the odd one or two I'm sure but it's not widespread.
Not scaremongering at all ... although not often sometimes they refuse to let you fill fitted systems with internal fillers (I have had this twice so moved the filler outside), occasionally those with external fillers have reported being refused but this is less than those with internal fillers, or removable bottles, from what I've read on the forums ... If I was a full-timer no way would I want to risk not being able to fill so mitigating the risk of refusal would be high on my list.

As a full-timer I would imagine most don't move around as much either so it may be more inconvenient to them if they are not allowed to fill a Safefill or a system with an internal fill point as they'd had to travel unnecessarily to somewhere else to do so - for those of us who tootle around on holiday this isn't a problem but if not I can see it being a pain in the bum and wallet ... if I was a full-timer it would definitely be a fitted system for me with external filler.

But - you do need to disconnect them every time you want to fill them and depending on access you may need to lift them out of the locker to fill them.

For those reasons alone if you're fulltiming and regularly needing to refill I'd get a "plumbed-in" system like Gaslow or similar, with a fixed filler mounted on the van.
Totally agree.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back