Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Today we cleared out all the stuff from the MO Ho after many years we are giving up motor homing. We started many years ago with a Fiat Amigo, 850cc engine air cooled, tiny thing but it had 5 berths, although 2 would not take a large child. The last one is an Autosleeper Duetto ice which we are selling. We are both retiring this year and we have to think about the cost of keeping a vehicle which gets little use. We have gone to the dark side and bought a caravan :( I hope it works out OK, I've not towed a caravan and have a course booked so I will be able to reverse it. I will hang around here for a while if only for Old Mo's jokes. And if we will the lottery will be back with a massive MO HO.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
It's not a bad idea @The gasman. Caravanning has its virtues too as it can sometimes be left on site for a season and be your go to place. Just as easy then to do an impulsive few days away. IMO much better than giving up travelling altogether. I hope you both enjoy your retirement when it comes.

Best Wishes, Auntie Pam

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy your new holiday home
we’ve just seen the smallest caravan arrive with a couple and 3 small children!! It has a flip up back with the cooker and sink!!
The kids are loving running around , so whatever shape or size the holiday home will be lovely .
99287B5F-41B6-48DF-9AF5-18ECDB56A36B.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm so annoyed. This one never came up last week when I was looking for one. Typical... Good luck with the sale.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Good luck! We have been tempted to move to the 'dark side' also sometimes. There are pros and cons to both sides, so hard to choose for some of us. Then there are the extremists who use a motorhome to tow a caravan! The main thing is to keep on travellin' and enjoying it, whatever the outfit.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have done both, motorhomes and Caravanning,and have enjoyed both, although m/h is our favourite.

At least you are staying with the lifestyle. Retirement is to be enjoyed so embrace it.

Hope you have great times in future. Good luck!(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
A new direction in the road of life .... not worse .. just different. ENJOY. XX

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
No more worrying about clashing wing mirrors with others on small country lanes when trying to visit those remote places.
If you don't move around a lot a car and caravan is still a good choice.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Not a sad day. It's the start of a new adventure, caravaning. I don't use my car much other than for short trips down to the supermarket. I think I would probably down size the MH to something a bit smaller and get ride of the car.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suppose when you think about it motorhomers have more in common with caravanners than people who do neither its why the club changed name its just part of a spectrum of camping. Like a lot of others we had a caravan in the past just like m/h pros and cons (and watch out for damp!!!!!!)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I too have gone down that route, although I have stayed on Fun for the Craig, old-mo s jokes and Hollyberry Quiz .:):):)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Had caravan previously and it was fabulous. Just bought MH before Christmas and it works for us just now .... that might change again in a few years, who knows? There are advantages and disadvantages to both ... just get out there and enjoy it!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm always a little uncertain about the economics. The cost can be comparable if you apply the same requirements to both caravan and MH. Comparing new prices for both even at the economy end a tow car + van will cost £30K & up & a small MH a similar amount. It all depends on what you want from the car. In our case we have no need for a larger car & run a very small one that runs on fumes & costs nothing for the RFL. It is more than adequate as a local runabout and occasional motorway trips are fine. We use the MH if we are travelling any distance anyway & turn the trip into a two day event. I caravanned for around 25 years & thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it so whatever you do the feeling of freedom is the same.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm sure we will be fine, but we will miss the PVC for days out. As far as costs, we already have a tow car 4x4 and with only one vehicle to pay for we should save a bit ( still have to insure and service the caravan) we intend to do longer trips now we are retiring and the caravan makes more sense. We have joined a caravan forum but we will still hang out here as well.:D

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The deed is done add now on Autotrader, Facebay and Gumtree all our stuff is out and all we need now is a buyer.:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back