Rv Import (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation


Deleted User
Hi I a::bigsmile:m new to all this but I have 2 Questions
1 A guy on UK Ebay said i can buy an drive his 9,997kg rv on my car license is this fact or him wanting to unload his rv

2 any idea how much to import a legal weight rv from USA

many thanks the VARNSTER


Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
Amazon Ambassador
since 1967
in short the answer is no, but I stand to be corrected. If you passed your car test prior to 1991 you can drive up to 7.5T, after that date up to 3.5T so the weight of the RV listed would put you into private heavy good vehicle rate for taxation but need I believe an HGV licence to drive it. That is how I understand things to be, No doubt a million people will tell me I am wrong.


Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
A Class
officially since 22 feb 2010
[I]This is a C1+E classification: Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C1 and its trailer has a MAM of over 750kg provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. (If you passed your category B test prior to 1.1.1997 you will be restricted to a total weight not more than 8250kg)[/I]. In other words, you can drive this as long as the motorhome weighs less than 7500kgs, when loaded, if you have a C1 or a C1+E on your licence

This is B classification: Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle In other words, if your motorhome weighs less that 3500kgs, when loaded, you can drive it on your car licence

This is C classification : Vehicles over 3500kg and not limited to 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg

In answer to your question, you may not drive it unless you have a HGV/LGV or a class C licence. Hope this helps and best of luck

All information, copied from (I think this link will work) Vehicles you can drive and how old you must be to drive them : Directgov - Motoring


Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
There is a view that as the vehicle isn't a heavy GOODS vehicle, doesn't require tacho or 'O' licence then it isn't an HGV. In their opinion it's a heavy motor car. The speed limits don't differentiate between a motorcaravan of different weights either.
However, when you read the DVLA website it's clear that in their opinion you DO need an class C licence to drive any vehicle that weighs over 7500kg (except a bus but that's another thread entirely!
As far as I'm aware there's never been a prosecution for driving an RV on a C1 licence.
After reading a lot of differing opinions I decided to play safe and take my test. I fould it really enjoyable and I definitely learnt a lot about manoeuvring a very large vehicle.


Subscribers  do not see these advertisements


Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread