Route to Tuscany (1 Viewer)

Ridgewoodwoody

Free Member
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're planning, pending freedom do so, to go to Tuscany next June. Taking the tunnel to Calais early morning I wanted to ask for any advice regarding the most suitable route for a motorhome and/or any campsites along the way or in Tuscany that are recommended. We're not too bothered on this trip about spending additional time anywhere on the journey there. Anyway, any advice very gratefully received.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would mostly use aires on the way there and back so just choose ones based on how far you want to drive each day. As we normally come from Roscoff my route through France won't really work for you but we've found the crossing into Italy at the Montgenevre pass is convenient and there is a nice (but pricy) aire there. I would avoid the coast road heading south although the motorway in places isn't much better. :)

Tuscany is worth visiting but the popular places can be busy.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Head through France, go through Switzerland round lake Geneva, stay a few days and enjoy the wonderful country, over the St Bernard Pass then head from Aosta down to Tuscany

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We always go to Italy the long way, but we enjoy the stopovers. Calais to Peruwelz in Belgium for first overnight stop on excellent cheap aire. Then to Moselle in Germany after stopping for cheap fuel in Luxenbourg. Then maybe a couple of other stops in Germany usually along the Romantic road. Then through the Fern Pass to Innsbruck. After going through the Brenner Pass we stop at the Italian Lakes. Favourite one is Lake Iseo...stunning and quieter than the other lakes. This year we went from Iseo down to Tuscany and enjoyed Lucca, Sienna and Florence. As stated the Long way and also not much to spend on tolls.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
If you are interested here is our blog. Obviously the first page is the end of the trip. Go to bottom of page and choose older posts for earlier stages in trip.
Phil & Barbs "Lightning Tours."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody

Free Member
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Phil & Barbs,
Fascinating read and good photos. Really helpful and revved up our desire to so the trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back