Route to nip through Austria without a gobox (1 Viewer)

Ctoop7

Free Member
Jun 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I want nip through Austria from Germany to get to Italy. The shortest distance seems to be from Mittenwald to Brenner and geographically this is perfect. I am over 3.5 tons (3.9) but the van doesn't look like it is ( it is a b634 hymer and u can get 3.5 & 3.9t versions). I want to do it without the expense and logistics of a go box or buying an environmental sticker so I need to get through without using motorways, expressways and environmental areas.

If I choose no toll roads and no motorways on Google maps it shows the route as just
Screenshot_20230616_214349.jpg
42 miles. Has anyone done this route avoiding tolls/mways etc without a gobox etc. I've read horror stories of people being diverted onto motorways and then being charged hundreds of Euros.

Also as I don't look over 3.5t could someone in theory just buy the 3.5t vignette and use that as back up if they did get diverted onto any motorways or do they check paperwork if they pull you over? Thanks!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you do the route and someone in authority tries to send you into 'forbidden' territory then you can stop and go another route.
If they catch you and find you have an illegal sticker, they'll have your pants down 'Ooh.' er Missus'

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Not an easy option and the authority's tend to discourage motor homes from bypassing the motorways for transiting.
It's very easy to find yourself on bits of road that require go box or vigneta and they do more checks than most country's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Ive driven this route, albeit with a go box as I had a 5 t tag at the time. You can always hand it back and get a refund, but the process was a bit complicated at the time, I never bothered.
if you need to ā€˜nip throughā€™ so be it, butā€¦ā€¦ā€¦
2 of the best campsites Iā€™ve ever stayed at are in this area and just off the route! Austria is fantastic, cheaper than Switzerland and well worth a few days of your time, if you have the time. the first site below even has a free bus to Innsbruck šŸ‘

66B3A694-C3CC-4845-95CA-D9B05B0A05CB.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Gone from Fussen to Brenna a few times no problems also over the Polcken pass is a good route.

Be aware road signs can be confusing as blue is normal roads and green for. autobhans

I always set the satnav to avoid period tolls but leave pay per use tolls on as once it tried to send us on a 150 mile detour to avoid a ā‚¬7 tunnel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Ctoop7

Free Member
Jun 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Ive driven this route, albeit with a go box as I had a 5 t tag at the time. You can always hand it back and get a refund, but the process was a bit complicated at the time, I never bothered.
if you need to ā€˜nip throughā€™ so be it, butā€¦ā€¦ā€¦
2 of the best campsites Iā€™ve ever stayed at are in this area and just off the route! Austria is fantastic, cheaper than Switzerland and well worth a few days of your time, if you have the time. the first site below even has a free bus to Innsbruck šŸ‘

View attachment 770352
Tbh all the hassle is putting me off wanting to stay in Austria, i just want to drive through and carry on. No other country seems as much hassle! Thanks for the links though, if i do decide to make a stop I'll check the Innsbruck one out.

OP
OP
C

Ctoop7

Free Member
Jun 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Gone from Fussen to Brenna a few times no problems also over the Polcken pass is a good route.

Be aware road signs can be confusing as blue is normal roads and green for. autobhans

I always set the satnav to avoid period tolls but leave pay per use tolls on as once it tried to send us on a 150 mile detour to avoid a ā‚¬7 tunnel.
What satnav do you use? Google maps doesn't give that option. Thanks

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Why on earth would anyone want to bypass Austria?
We are here at the moment and havenā€™t travelled on a toll road or motorway.
Itā€™s a beautiful, immaculate country with some of the most stunning roads and views in Europe.
Give it a chance, you may love it.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Why on earth would anyone want to bypass Austria?
We are here at the moment and havenā€™t travelled on a toll road or motorway.
Itā€™s a beautiful, immaculate country with some of the most stunning roads and views in Europe.
Give it a chance, you may love it.
Hear hear Brian, was thinking exactly the same, been through and in Austria at 5tons no Go Box and some stunning passes (yes in a comfortmaticšŸ˜) and loved every minute of itšŸ‘

I can inderstand anyone bypassing France thošŸ˜šŸ˜

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Ctoop7 I have done this route lots of times in a 4t 8m motorhome, both with and mostly without the GoBox.

My usual route your doing is generally from Fussen though Telfs then onto your route. It is easy but you need to just look on Google Maps to familiarise yourself with the route through Innsbruck itself, it is signposted and I follow my Tom Tom You then climb the hill where the Brenner motorway would be joined but you donā€™t join it.

By the petrol station at the head of the hill you take the Brenner Pass ā€˜old roadā€™ all the way to Brenner in Italy. This road is restricted & signed to 3.5t but this is for commercial vehicles only so quite legal for you.

Cheaper fuel along the old road and immediately before the border. Easy transit through Brenner and if not market day the ability to park just south of the centre on the right on large tarmac areas if you want to visit the town.

We love Austria, it is great for camping and cycling and have always stopped at various places going north & south to Italy or Slovenia as I tend to take varying routes for a change of scenery each time.

Hope this helps.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I want nip through Austria from Germany to get to Italy. The shortest distance seems to be from Mittenwald to Brenner and geographically this is perfect. I am over 3.5 tons (3.9) but the van doesn't look like it is ( it is a b634 hymer and u can get 3.5 & 3.9t versions). I want to do it without the expense and logistics of a go box or buying an environmental sticker so I need to get through without using motorways, expressways and environmental areas.

If I choose no toll roads and no motorways on Google maps it shows the route as just View attachment 77031242 miles. Has anyone done this route avoiding tolls/mways etc without a gobox etc. I've read horror stories of people being diverted onto motorways and then being charged hundreds of Euros.

Also as I don't look over 3.5t could someone in theory just buy the 3.5t vignette and use that as back up if they did get diverted onto any motorways or do they check paperwork if they pull you over? Thanks!
But surely, youā€™ve transited France which has toll roads.
Youā€™re heading to Italy which has toll roads.
Whatā€™s the big difference with Austria?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Tbh all the hassle is putting me off wanting to stay in Austria, i just want to drive through and carry on. No other country seems as much hassle! Thanks for the links though, if i do decide to make a stop I'll check the Innsbruck one out.
Ive driven through Austria a few times over the years, always over 3500kgs never bought a go box. Never had a problem. But yes generally find its less hassle to go through Switzerland. 3500kgs + toll is easy enough and pretty good value.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Whatā€™s the big difference with Austria?
The Go box procedure is apparently quite tricky, very expensive and I actually know 2 lots of mh ers who have tried to do it and still been fined for not proving their emmisions class.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
The Go box procedure is apparently quite tricky, very expensive and I actually know 2 lots of mh ers who have tried to do it and still been fined for not proving their emmisions class.
I understand that, but just stay off the toll roads. The chances of being diverted onto a motorway are pretty slim, surely.
The op obviously did in France & will do in Italy.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I understand that, but just stay off the toll roads. The chances of being diverted onto a motorway are pretty slim, surely.
The op obviously did in France & will do in Italy.
The difference between Austria and France or Italy is that you just pay at the barrier, repercussions are very unlikely. Have a look at the thread linked on #18, the people who reported being fined all tried to do it "correctly " .

OP
OP
C

Ctoop7

Free Member
Jun 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Whatā€™s the big difference with
Ctoop7 I have done this route lots of times in a 4t 8m motorhome, both with and mostly without the GoBox.

My usual route your doing is generally from Fussen though Telfs then onto your route. It is easy but you need to just look on Google Maps to familiarise yourself with the route through Innsbruck itself, it is signposted and I follow my Tom Tom You then climb the hill where the Brenner motorway would be joined but you donā€™t join it.

By the petrol station at the head of the hill you take the Brenner Pass ā€˜old roadā€™ all the way to Brenner in Italy. This road is restricted & signed to 3.5t but this is for commercial vehicles only so quite legal for you.

Cheaper fuel along the old road and immediately before the border. Easy transit through Brenner and if not market day the ability to park just south of the centre on the right on large tarmac areas if you want to visit the town.

We love Austria, it is great for camping and cycling and have always stopped at various places going north & south to Italy or Slovenia as I tend to take varying routes for a change of scenery each time.

Hope this helps.
Thats brilliant, thanks for the info.

OP
OP
C

Ctoop7

Free Member
Jun 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer

Hope this helps.
That's brilliant, thanks for the info.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back