Asfinag toll fine grrrr (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Last year we drove through Austria on one day. Our toll go-box was fitted in the same place from the time we entered from Italy until we left into Germany, only being removed and refitted to top up late in our journey after it bleeped to tell me it was low. We drove non stop other than this.
A month ago I got a letter informing me that I hadn’t correctly paid my toll at one gantry and was being fined 240€. Really don’t understand how the box was working fine both before and after this one gantry where they say it was not.
Anyway…they are insisting I pay so my question is…has anyone fought a fine and won against Asfinag? Will they legally reclaim the money if I don’t pay? Will they ban us from Austrian soil?
Would happily pay the toll they say I missed but 240€ is a bit steep!
Thanks for any advice

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I had exactly the same demand from Asfinag. We purchased the go box, gave all the paperwork to the cashier and put €100 euro’s onto the box. That then merrily beeped away as we did our journey but 9 months later we received a demand stating incorrect paperwork was submitted but that was the reliance on the cashier to submit but we could not prove anything so paid up 🤦‍♂️🥲

David

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A month ago I got a letter informing me that I hadn’t correctly paid my toll at one gantry and was being fined 240€. Really don’t understand how the box was working fine both before and after this one gantry where they say it was not.
If you paid at a gantry before, & paid at a gantry after, the one concerned then I would put the ball back in their court stating that. Especially if it was on a continuous journey. If that is correct then I would also issue a 'cease & desist' letter (template can be found on Which money site 'parking' forum) & additionally stating they should get there own equipment in order as if either the gantry or the tag failed to work it is there problem as you have paid for working equipment & it is there equipment that as failed to work.
Also further contact from them will be treated as causing fear, harm or distress & legal measures will be implemented. .

Wilst the foreigners issue the fine to the vehicle owner they still have to prove who was actually driving. Do not in any way admit to being the driver.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wilst the foreigners issue the fine to the vehicle owner they still have to prove who was actually driving. Do not in any way admit to being the driver.
Surely that law applies there the same as the UK law. If you refuse to inform them, when requested, who was driving at the time then YOU as the registered keeper take the rap and get the fine.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Austria yet again!! so many times even when people try to do the right thing the toll people find a way to fine them.
We just avoid it these days as not worth the grief, if we do want to cut through we do it using a roads etc and even if you get done for breaking a weight limit ( which I havent yet) its still cheaper than Go Box and the subsequent fine.

After a previous story I emailed the Austrian tourist office in London and suggested that they had a look at the tolling system for motorhomes. They send me a link to the Toll peoples website Durrrr!!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Austria are just a bunch of crooked swines when it comes to extorting money out of tourists. We were forced onto a motorway by police at a roadblock and then fined 300€ for being on it. I wrote, complaining to the Austrian embassy about it. Not even the courtesy of a reply. They can stick their poxy country.
Phil

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Austria are just a bunch of crooked swines when it comes to extorting money out of tourists. We were forced onto a motorway by police at a roadblock and then fined 300€ for being on it. I wrote, complaining to the Austrian embassy about it. Not even the courtesy of a reply. They can stick their poxy country.
Phil
That’s exactly why when I go I don’t plan on running the roads near the motorways, I’ve done my route north to south and I’m fairly confident they won’t be able to put me on a motorway. I love Austria as a country that much if I end up spending a lot of time there I’d downsize to 3.5t.❤️❤️

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Phil
The Austrians are very crafty people Phil.

After all they have managed to convince the whole world that Adolf Hitler was a German.

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The Austrians are very crafty people Phil.

After all they have managed to convince the whole world that Adolf Hitler was a German.
My god I thought he was German ? An Austrian told me.
This happened to me on a Friday afternoon. There were two more unfortunates behind me. Obviously fines were down that week. I will run those b, stards down as long as I live.
Phil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Surely that law applies there the same as the UK law. If you refuse to inform them, when requested, who was driving at the time then YOU as the registered keeper take the rap and get the fine.
The owner is liable in most countries.Many require you to pay the fine THEN state who was driving.Not going to show much interest in chasing them if you have paid ,are they?
Here you are required to either pay deposit fee to challenge the fine,900€ , so most just pay the minimal fine.If you have legal cover on your insurance ,which the majority have, they will challenge any fines you receive.
Toll fines wouldn't come under any cross border directive allowing them to chase the payment.

We just avoid it these days as not worth the grief,
God forsaken place should have been cleared after the war.:nod::nod::nod:
Austria are just a bunch of crooked swines when it comes to extorting money out of tourists.
There's only one decent austrian & he,Schwartzenegger,even left:nod::nod:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a Telepass sat box which covers most of Europe. We get, mostly, a beep as we pass under gantries or through toll barriers as they lift. However there are occasions where is doesn't beep. Portugal is a case on point, their motorways are literally covered with the gantries as most will know, yet only this Thursday we had 2 missed beeps. I have no idea if the charge was registered or not and to be honest I won't bother to check when I get the account, but I have never, touch wood, been fined. Our trip through Austria with the same box last Autumn had similar non beeps but no fines.

OP
OP
sallys
Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Telepass sat box which covers most of Europe. We get, mostly, a beep as we pass under gantries or through toll barriers as they lift. However there are occasions where is doesn't beep. Portugal is a case on point, their motorways are literally covered with the gantries as most will know, yet only this Thursday we had 2 missed beeps. I have no idea if the charge was registered or not and to be honest I won't bother to check when I get the account, but I have never, touch wood, been fined. Our trip through Austria with the same box last Autumn had similar non beeps but no fines.
It took 9 months for our fine to come through, Michael. I’m arguing it …they now claim that they can see from their photos that our Go-box is not in the correct position. I’ve asked to see the photos…

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I recall the paperwork I was given with my go-box gave specific instructions on where to position the box on the screen and I seem to recall now that it was not easy to see the box lights due to the rake of the screen, yet being in the position dictated in the papers.

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Last year we drove through Austria on one day. Our toll go-box was fitted in the same place from the time we entered from Italy until we left into Germany, only being removed and refitted to top up late in our journey after it bleeped to tell me it was low. We drove non stop other than this.
Anyway…they are insisting I pay so my question is…has anyone fought a fine and won against Asfinag? Will they legally reclaim the money if I don’t pay? Will they ban us from Austrian soil?
Thanks for any advice
Hi
Sorry about your troubles
We are going to Austria for a week in December and only just found out we need a go box.
Being voiced all over the place with various websites.
How did you get yours - was it actually in Austria or before you went ?
And how much do these damned go boxes cost in addition to the actual tolls incurred. We will only be making two journeys on Austrian roads - one in to Nenzing to our campsite and one out after the holiday.
Thanks for any advice. Russ

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi
Sorry about your troubles
We are going to Austria for a week in December and only just found out we need a go box.
Being voiced all over the place with various websites.
How did you get yours - was it actually in Austria or before you went ?
And how much do these damned go boxes cost in addition to the actual tolls incurred. We will only be making two journeys on Austrian roads - one in to Nenzing to our campsite and one out after the holiday.
Thanks for any advice. Russ
I don't know what these go box things are but when we went through Austria two years ago, we just stopped at a filling station as we went over the border and bought a sticker for the windscreen, about 8 euros and that was it.

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know what these go box things are but when we went through Austria two years ago, we just stopped at a filling station as we went over the border and bought a sticker for the windscreen, about 8 euros and that was it.
Sorry. I must have miss read the thread. Thought you’d got one.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry. I must have miss read the thread. Thought you’d got one.
If you need to use the motorways then,

If your MH under 3.5 tons then you can just buy a sticker (called a vignette) at the border or a garage. Depending on how long you will be there
The annual vignette actually remains valid for fourteen months: from December 1st of the preceding year to January 31st of the following one. So a 2022 annual toll sticker (once displayed properly) applies from December 1st, 2021 to January 31st, 2023.

You can get short-term stickers, too, if you’re not planning to stay that long. A 2-month sticker in 2022 costs €28.20, and a 10-day sticker €9.60. Note that these two stickers need to be punched at the point of sale to be valid.

However if over 3.5 tons you need a Go box info here.

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for any advice
Hi
Did you get your go box delivered before your trip or did you buy one “on the road “

How much are they please and is there a subscription to pay before you get billed for the actual tolls ?
I’m driving our 5tonne Dethleffs into Austria via Germany , for a weeks trip in Nenzing and then back through Germany.
Only just found out I need a “go box “ and we travel on 1 December.
Thanks

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
If you need to use the motorways then,

If your MH under 3.5 tons then you can just buy a sticker (called a vignette) at the border or a garage. Depending on how long you will be there
The annual vignette actually remains valid for fourteen months: from December 1st of the preceding year to January 31st of the following one. So a 2022 annual toll sticker (once displayed properly) applies from December 1st, 2021 to January 31st, 2023.

You can get short-term stickers, too, if you’re not planning to stay that long. A 2-month sticker in 2022 costs €28.20, and a 10-day sticker €9.60. Note that these two stickers need to be punched at the point of sale to be valid.

However if over 3.5 tons you need a Go box info here.

Yes we are over 3500 so need a gobox it seems.
Unsure if we can get one in advance or if we have to buy one on the road.
Our actual journey in Austria is really short. Looks like it will be a very expensive few miles.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our actual journey in Austria is really short. Looks like it will be a very expensive few miles.
Yes, you posted just after me so I see you are heavy. Can you not sort out a non motorway route?
You will get more replies to your specific question if you start a new thread with a relevant title such as “where can I buy a Go Box for austria? “
royandsharont may be able to help
Good luck

Reactions: DJT
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Russ M you will need your COC (Certificate of Conformity) if your V5 does not show your emissions value. Even through we provided the motorway service station all the documentation and got the go-box, nearly a year later we were fined €280 because of ‘incorrect / missing paperwork’ All we can assume is the attendant did not send the paperwork but proving it is impossible so had to pay.

If possible I would get the go-box while your in the uk and provide the necessary paperwork and not be reliant on service station staff

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Russ M When we decided to go through Austria it meant we had to get the GoBox BEFORE we ever put a wheel on the motorway system, if not then big fine from the ANPR cameras

So I needed to scan & send all the vehicle docs, V5 & cert of conformity I seem to recall, to Asfinag & get an account with them once the vehicle was recorded.

Then either before entry to Austria, or after entry but before any motorways, I attended a GoBox selling point and paid my credit, 75€ I seem to recall, etc using my documents which they married up with the compute. GoBox activated by them & I fitted to the screen as instructed. Then was charged about 25c a Km I think, very expensive.

If I had not pre registered I think I only had 14 days to do so after collecting a box or else another big fine. I’ve met people who have been fined too so I would never take the risk. One German I met in Italy was fined for buying his vignette whilst there which meant he had done some of the initial journey on the motorway without a vignette. I think he had a 100€ FPN posted to his address in Germany & his wife rang to tell him. They would not let him off despite knowing he had bought a vignette later down the motorway so he had not avoided getting one ☹️

The credit only lasts 2 years so you have to top up again to get credit back or return the box on departure, getting your unused credit back, and get a new one next time. I found it all very much a pain.

So I started crossing Austria and avoiding any motorways so no box needed, easily doable if a bit slower. You may not need it for your intended journey, check out the maps.

It took me a while to type this so I now see the replies above which confirm my information

Hope this helps & gives you time to get registered if you decide to get one.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Phil
Funny how most of the campsites still insist on cash - no cards.

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
That’s exactly why when I go I don’t plan on running the roads near the motorways, I’ve done my route north to south and I’m fairly confident they won’t be able to put me on a motorway. I love Austria as a country that much if I end up spending a lot of time there I’d downsize to 3.5t.❤️❤️
Fancy having to keep well away from motorways in fear of being forced onto one like we were. However beautiful their country is it wouldn’t make me go there again. Their police are a bunch of nasty bastards.
Phil

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Funny how most of the campsites still insist on cash - no cards.
Gaston aires said:
Phil
………………………………………………………………………………………….

We absolutely love the country! Fantastic cycling on dedicated paths, drop dead scenery and beautifully clean. I’ve never had to pay cash for any campsites but you often cannot use credit cards in supermarkets, only debit cards.

All the local people we have engaged with have been fantastically helpful, beyond expectations on one particular occasion going well out of their way to help us in readiness for our return.

The GoBox system is not simple for a foreigner, you cannot PAYG for instance, and their systems are quick to find fault & penalties are high, I didn’t realise how high some were before reading above.

As for the motorway diversion that happened to us in France and fortunately we could simply pay the toll but I was miffed at the diversion making me have to pay. It is a concern you have to be aware of if deciding to go off motorway

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Fancy having to keep well away from motorways in fear of being forced onto one like we were. However beautiful their country is it wouldn’t make me go there again. Their police are a bunch of nasty bastards.
Phil
NOTHING would stop me going to Austria it’s the most beautiful country on earth!! I’ve been pulled by the Austrian police who were nothing but friendly and polite👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
It took 9 months for our fine to come through, Michael. I’m arguing it …they now claim that they can see from their photos that our Go-box is not in the correct position. I’ve asked to see the photos…
How is your appeal going?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its up to you, but if your profile is right, C Class Dethleffs ( presumably 2 axle fiat) I would buy a vignette and chance it.
Otherwise I would rebook for somewhere else. I have a good friend who thought they did the right thing and still got fined.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back