Roudabouts in France..... (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am planning a trip to Lodz in Poland in June via Holland and Germany - done it before 'easy' drive, no tolls, few junctions, few roundabouts.
I am looking at then driving from Lodz to Toulon in France without using tolls
- the first 740 miles through Poland and Germany - few junctions, not a single roundabout.
From the French border (non toll) to Toulon, 460 miles - over 80 roundabouts! - average one every 6 miles!
I'll give it a go but with all of those and the constantly changing speed limits I can see me heading for the toll road - boring but less tiring and possibly no speeding tickets.....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You’ve summed it up really.....pay the tolls. Or maybe 50/50 so you don’t fall asleep through boredom!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I am planning a trip to Lodz in Poland in June via Holland and Germany - done it before 'easy' drive, no tolls, few junctions, few roundabouts.
- the first 740 miles through Poland and Germany - few junctions, not a single roundabout.
From the French border (non toll) to Toulon, 460 miles - over 80 roundabouts! - average one every 6 miles!
I'll give it a go but with all of those and the constantly changing speed limits I can see me heading for the toll road - boring but less tiring and possibly no speeding tickets.....
Got to agree with you, I’m fed up of the number of roundabouts in France now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Whichever way you choose will be worth it, Toulon is beautiful. Only disappointment was we didn't bump into Jonny Wilkinson who was playing for them at the time :giggle:

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Its not just the the roundabouts in France, beware of the speed limits, they go up and down on some roads more than a yo-yo, and the speed cameras. Using tolls more than I ever have.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The French are the world champions of roundabout building. It seems to have become a national sport.
In the last 2-3 years we have used more and more peage roads as the obstacles on other roads increase.
It's not just the ease of driving and quicker journeys but the reduction in danger from cranky French drivers, particularly just after lunch time, negotiating all the junctions and parked cars through towns.
On a motorway the speed limit is sensible and above the speed most of us would drive, unlike the D roads, so less chance of picking up a speeding fine.
Also, the wear and tear on the vehicle is so much less when cruising at a sensible speed and not constantly slowing and accelerating.
All of that mitigates much of the extra cost of tolls.

Richard.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
At least you folk driving around France won't have the annoying problem I have...

...the authorities allocate a team of hidden people to follow me, just me, wherever I go and change each and every traffic light to red as I approach it.

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I think you are making an unfair comparison because if you selected 'Non-Motorway' in Poland and Germany you might get a similar result'

The autobahns in Germany are free as are most of the M/ways in Poland(except A2 and A4, but cheap)

So really you should be considering the difference between the roundabouts in each country off motorway or considering the cost on-motorway.

It is irrational to mix the two concepts.

Geoff

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I don’t mind the roundabouts in France, usually so little traffic I go around them as fast as I can treating them like a slalom course. Can’t open a beer for over an hour once I’ve pitched up as it’s to shaken up but the tossed salad in the fridge tastes good

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's quite simple really, if you are just wanting to get somewhere quick without much trouble, take the tolls.
If you are just touring the area, use the other roads and take your time to view the country side and the villages, and you will get to not worrying about the roundabouts. (y) :sun:

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think you are making an unfair comparison because if you selected 'Non-Motorway' in Poland and Germany you might get a similar result'

The autobahns in Germany are free as are most of the M/ways in Poland(except A2 and A4, but cheap)

So really you should be considering the difference between the roundabouts in each country off motorway or considering the cost on-motorway.

It is irrational to mix the two concepts.

Geoff

True, but there are now so many traffic calming measures, multiple speed limits, checking your speedometer constantly even when the roads are empty of traffic and pedestrians - it's just getting a bit less enjoyable (or relaxing) than it used to be

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Considering the French have possible more roundabouts per km of road than anyone else in Europe it astounds me they cannot negotiate them with any level of competence.

They arrive at the roundabout, and stop, presumably incapable of looking ahead and planning their approach.
OH! a roundabout, stop, anyone there ? no, ok we will continue, then enter the roundabout intending to go straight ahead and indicate left for the first exit and then right for the second, assuming a standard 4 exit cross style roundabout. Or worse still, no indicators.

boils my ****

phil

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A bit more research into how much tolls are is probably worthwhile. If you blindly follow the satnav it will take you miles around to avoid a toll of even 1 euro.

I find planning the main part of the route in advance is better, If you buy one of these (amazon or most french supermarkets) it will show you which routes have tolls ( you might be surprised by some of the good roads that don't) and then do a bit of googling for the specific sections that are tolled. That way I choose which bits are better on toll or not.

1620370510900.png

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
A bit more research into how much tolls are is probably worthwhile. If you blindly follow the satnav it will take you miles around to avoid a toll of even 1 euro.

I find planning the main part of the route in advance is better, If you buy one of these (amazon or most french supermarkets) it will show you which routes have tolls ( you might be surprised by some of the good roads that don't) and then do a bit of googling for the specific sections that are tolled. That way I choose which bits are better on toll or not.

View attachment 493738
Is this online version showing the same details?

Or do funsters need this book’s newer release?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The first time I drove in France there were only 2 or 3 in the country and the give way to the right applied when going round them. They were frightening to drive round.
They still are as the French do not have a clue and don't know what indicators are.BUSBY.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Is this online version showing the same details?

Or do funsters need this book’s newer release?
The map shows toll or non toll roads in different colours, makes it very easy for actual route planning and then yes go to something like that for the detail.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
At roundabouts The french come in so fast & don’t use indicators, you just have to guess which gap to go for , it cracks the wife up , she is always saying you pulled out in front of that car , she’s right BUT if I hadn’t I’d still be in France now
My introduction to driving in New York from my son who lived there was. Dont use your indicators dad, it gives the opposition too much information which they will take advantage of. It is a bit like that driving in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back