Rooftop tent on a small van (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not owned yet
So I have a grandiose idea of using a small van as a part-time tourer, by building a sit down bathroom and kitchen in the load bay, and having a rooftop tent on top for sleeping. The problem is that most vans/roof bars appear to have a limit of 75kg to 100kg. Is there any way to increase this, or shall I have to look at alternatives?

OP
OP
B
Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not owned yet
This then begs the question; are the "max roof loads" provided by manufacturers for static or dynamic weights? I'm guessing now that it must be dynamic, as there's no way that two people plus tent would be less than the stated 75kg/100kg weights I've seen.

Also thanks much for that video :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are adding a roof tent these often have a solid base so massively reinforce the bars, and are also spreading the weight. I wouldn’t personally be worried about it. Also I suggest you look what a tradesman will load onto a set of roof bars, and then often in a single place.

My truck and roof tent

33AEF1A5-178D-4C4D-8010-9A4A2A1C6622.jpeg

I personally wouldn’t go for the type of roof tent you’ve shown above due to the fabric construction, we prefer the hard shell

OP
OP
B
Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not owned yet
I checked the website for Tentbox, and they do hardshell tents as well, that's just the "entry level" model.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
This is mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
What van do you have?

If it has a flat roof could you not secure the roof tent with through bolts. Dummy bolts could be in place when your not using the tent?

Just a thought?

Cheers James

OP
OP
B
Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not owned yet
Hi James,

I've not yet bought the van. At the moment, the most likely candidate due to a combination of availability of parts, price point and just generally seems the best shape for what I want would be the Ford Transit Connect.

It does indeed have a flat-ish roof, and quite a few that I've seen already have roof bars installed.

Thanks for the website, Landy Andy, I shall add it to the research :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back