Rich-bit E-bikes --any good? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
The Rich-bit 860 E-bike looks the part and is just what I am looking for in an E-bike-folding and good range battery hidden in the frame.Has anyone had any experience with the range as I cannot get any useful reviews on them?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to this seller on Amazon they aren't UK legal...... But then, they don't seem to know what they're selling or anything about them.

Screenshot_20181111-210906.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-210906.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 11
    82.9 KB · Views: 13
    82.9 KB · Views: 10

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As already said it appears to have a throttle so is illegal in the U.K. I do love the example shown by Uncle PPJ where they say they will give you a CE Certificate, AFTER you place an order and I assume have parted with your money. :rofl: I would ask to have site of it prior to purchase. :gum:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have 2 folding electric bikes bought from E bikes Direct just before the law changed on throttles,restricted to 15MPH, so we have throttles on the handlebars, the motors are 250watt rear hub mounted, and the batteries are Bosch 36 volt 16amp hour a piece.
So twist grip throttles are legal before a certain date which from memory must have been before 18 months ago.
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
So twist grip throttles are legal before a certain date which from memory must have been before 18 months ago.
Les

This is true. My first Chinese bike, purchased five odd years ago had a throttle, but my current Raleigh bought about ten months ago does not.

The Chinese bike was ok though, albeit somewhat heavy. Could not get the bits in the end and so it went to the recycling. Get it re- cycling, oh never mind, I’m wasted on you lot. :gum:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
battery hidden in the frame

I really don't get that idea. It limits the size of the battery, you can't remove it so save weight lifting onto the rack, you can't charge it inside the MH, I don't know how they get in the frame but sounds bad for maintenance.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I really don't get that idea. It limits the size of the battery, you can't remove it so save weight lifting onto the rack, you can't charge it inside the MH, I don't know how they get in the frame but sounds bad for maintenance.
I thought the same what would appeal is one based on a cordless power tool battery/batteries cheaper to buy as mass produced and the charger etc

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought that too Brian, but thinking again the battery may be inserted at the frame joint where it folds so is removable.

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
20181112_160041.jpg
it can be charged in the frame or you can unlock it and remove it it just slides out

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suggest you visit a bike shop, most now sell e-bikes.. try several out .. look for an independent retailer rather than one of the chain stores.

• how easy are they to fold,
  • how heavy are they,
  • are the gear ratios suitable, take it for a ride up hill if possible,
  • is it comfortable.
at that price point, brake, gear and other components will be entry level..

how much use you intent to make of it ?
if it's only occasion run to the bread shop.. any e-bike will do.. if you plan serious off road trips I would advise something a bit better.. if that's outside your budget, consider second hand..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Thanks all gives me things to consider-looks a dodgy seller ! Its just that its the only e-bike with 26" wheels /folder/battery in frame (12 AH ) I really fancy. I know that any E-bike around that price is Chinese but was told most of the dearer German etc E-bikes are Chinese ?

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
We have 2 folding electric bikes bought from E bikes Direct just before the law changed on throttles,restricted to 15MPH, so we have throttles on the handlebars, the motors are 250watt rear hub mounted, and the batteries are Bosch 36 volt 16amp hour a piece.
Les
My last Chinese throttle only E-bike I converted the throttle to restrict the movement to about a quarter of a turn to give about the allowed 4 mph.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
German etc E-bikes are Chinese ?

I have no doubt that is true, most likely the frames are made in China.. then assembled in Germany ..

to be honest.. very few bike frames are NOT made in China.. even high end carbon framed road bikes, such as Bianchi, Specialized, Trek, et al.. and the biggest bike factory in the world is the Giant factory in China, the world’s largest producer of high-quality bikes.. There is a Factory in Spain and another in Germany in Koblenz that make bike frames .. not forgetting the Brompton folding bikes, hand built in the UK .. hence the high cost..

so, built in China is not bad at all. .. both the aluminium and carbon frames they build are well made.. it's at the component level where the cost cutting is done.. brakes, cranks and gears, wheels and tyres.. and on e-bikes.. type of motor.. centre drive is a lot more expensive than a hub motor, also ah capacity of battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have no doubt that is true, most likely the frames are made in China.. then assembled in Germany ..

to be honest.. very few bike frames are NOT made in China.. even high end carbon framed road bikes, such as Bianchi, Specialized, Trek, et al.. and the biggest bike factory in the world is the Giant factory in China, the world’s largest producer of high-quality bikes.. There is a Factory in Spain and another in Germany in Koblenz that make bike frames .. not forgetting the Brompton folding bikes, hand built in the UK .. hence the high cost..

so, built in China is not bad at all. .. both the aluminium and carbon frames they build are well made.. it's at the component level where the cost cutting is done.. brakes, cranks and gears, wheels and tyres.. and on e-bikes.. centre drive is a lot more expensive than hub motors..
When China first started making power tools/cloned motorcycles they were not very good but they are getting better all the time. Same with E-bikes? Just as a matter of interest -one of the big E-bike dealers is saying in the new year E-bikes are going to cost a lot more due to new "tax rises " anyone the wiser?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
My last Chinese throttle only E-bike I converted the throttle to restrict the movement to about a quarter of a turn to give about the allowed 4 mph.
We have a switch on ours that allows peddle assist only or select "throttle" and it will pounce into life from a standstill, with 4 power levels, which I guess is pretty standard
I am interested and dont really understand why you restricted yours to 4MPH?, so I must be missing something?, which is pretty normal:LOL: or so her indoors tells me.
For me, at least, when the bike hits 15MPH that's it!, end of, as they say, but that's not fast enough on a straight for me, so I peddle like hell and eventually run out of gears, hitting about 28/30MPH :pinocchio:
I looked into replacing the main sprocket for a larger diameter one, and was told that the standard one on there is already the largest diameter.:(
The main aspect of having an e bike for us though, is to "assist" up long winding hills when we need it, not as an electric scooter by any means.
Les

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Have a look at Woosh bikes, superb company to deal with and have 26in folders in their range.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Gocycle are UK and my wife and I are very pleased with ours. Battery is within frame and can be removed for maintenance but at 16kg no need to remove for packing away and carrying.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
We have a switch on ours that allows peddle assist only or select "throttle" and it will pounce into life from a standstill, with 4 power levels, which I guess is pretty standard
I am interested and dont really understand why you restricted yours to 4MPH?, so I must be missing something?, which is pretty normal:LOL: or so her indoors tells me.
For me, at least, when the bike hits 15MPH that's it!, end of, as they say, but that's not fast enough on a straight for me, so I peddle like hell and eventually run out of gears, hitting about 28/30MPH :pinocchio:
I looked into replacing the main sprocket for a larger diameter one, and was told that the standard one on there is already the largest diameter.:(
The main aspect of having an e bike for us though, is to "assist" up long winding hills when we need it, not as an electric scooter by any means.
Les
I restricted it to 4 mph as I believe that's allowed on throttle only by law? Whats your E-bike ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The throttle failed OPEN on my wifes previous e-bike. Fortunately she managed to drag it to the ground so the rear wheel just kept spinning..... but it did wheelie off in the beginning of the failure. I thought they were great fun at first but having had this one fail it does show that they can be dangerous. This throttle was the very standard entry level type that you see on many of the older e-bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back