Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm still searching for my first MH, as I eventually (heaven knows when) will want to spend some time in Europe. I've seen a few LHD MH's for sale. My question is... I know the cons of a left-hand drive vehicle in the UK but are there any Pros. Also, should the price of said MH cost any less?
A silly question maybe, but just thinking. I will have a co-driver.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you buy it the seller will tell you it makes no difference, when you sell it you'll have to convince the buyer of the same. :D

Reality, I've had left hookers for years and don't even think about it. If the van you really want is LHD. don't worry about it, buy it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
These days it's not as bad as it used to be. I have driven RHD in Europe for years and also owned LHD cars over here without major problems, and now you can put a camera on the right side of the windscreen so you can overtake safety, not that you will be doing much overtaking in a MOHO.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
We had no second thoughts about what we wanted, as we intended to spend most of our time touring continental Europe, and bought an LHD.

For me there is no big mental shift when driving in the U.K. The present Mrs C says she feels a bit exposed in the 'middle' of the road, but we think it is because she is not driving, and does not have a steering wheel in front of her. Joining a road at a shallow angle needs a bit of care, but I discovered that by looking over my right shoulder I could see through the window of the hab door well enough.

The balance between time spent on the two different road systems might influence you, but really it is not an issue.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It depends where you are going to use it most.

Ive had many LHD i drove in the uk no problems.

Ive driven rhd throughout europe too and im doing so now.

From next year you can at best use your MH 50/50 in europe so if you plan to do more uk touring then rhd makes more sense

I plan to change my rhd for a LHD next year purely because if i decide to become resident somewhere in europe its easier to register a LHD there than a rhd ....otherwise id not bother.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
As mentioned if its the right van for you then its not a deal breaker. Ours is LHD as it was the best van for the money we had. It didn't really concern me as its easier to get used to on roads you are familiar with rather than getting used to RHD when abroad on roads you're not familiar with

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I've not long since bought a left hand drive model, soon get used to it. Did have one a few years ago and much better once on the continent.
We do more miles over there than we do in the UK so made sense to me.
Also used to drive left hand drive stretch limos a few years back, now they are fun to drive.

If the van you like is LHD go for it, you'll soon adapt.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have driven LHD in rhd and RHD in lhd. .
Not really a problem.. just needs due care and dilegence!!
Something all (Am I expecting to much? ) drivers should already poccess. 👍👍

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
LHD is not as uncommon as it used to be but ought to be cheaper over here.
I'd get one to suit the side you're going to spend most time in but get RHD if in doubt. The roads are much busier here than on the continent. I think RHD over there is less of a hindrance than LHD is here.

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We had no second thoughts about what we wanted, as we intended to spend most of our time touring continental Europe, and bought an LHD.

For me there is no big mental shift when driving in the U.K. The present Mrs C says she feels a bit exposed in the 'middle' of the road, but we think it is because she is not driving, and does not have a steering wheel in front of her. Joining a road at a shallow angle needs a bit of care, but I discovered that by looking over my right shoulder I could see through the window of the hab door well enough.

The balance between time spent on the two different road systems might influence you, but really it is not an issue.
Interesting, maybe I'll fit one of these for my Mrs. af40fefe3d19b3025aa4e07fb667aa0a.jpg

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
We bought our first motorhome last year, RHD and spent 6 weeks in Europe, no problems driving, we have now changed to a LHD motorhome, and most of the km so far have been in the UK, again it’s no problem. I’d say, concentrate on finding the right van for you and don’t worry about what side the wheel is on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We prefer LHD, even when driving in the UK, left or right hand doesn't make a lot of difference driving as you are higher up than car.

If its a decent van it won't make any odds to the price and if you want a LHD have a look here.
Broken Link Removed
Prices much better than the UK and importing is easy.

Another plus point with LHD is you can sell or trade in any European county, trade in prices much better abroad as dealers work on lower margins.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I fined LHD in the UK easier than RHD on the continent, BUT, that's with a co-pilot. If you can find a LHD wih a window on the right hand side behind the driving position, so much the better. I couldn't use our local LPG garage without somebody in thepassenger seat due to the very shallow exit onto a fast road.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I actually prefer RHD in Europe, being aware of your road position at junctions overcomes most problems , I’ve also had LHD cars in the U.K. without Issue
after a day or two you adapt to whatever you have

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hang on Guys LHD is HER seat, can you trust her reversing into that tight spot?, whilst being chief navigator? they cant all be like Minxy girl :imoutahere:
LES :LOL:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
personal choice. I prefer to have a left hand drive.
Price is the same buying and selling,the market is there for LHD and they will hold there price as there is less availability.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
LHD every time for me, the majority of our trips are on the continent and another reason is the layouts of the motorhomes we like don't work as well the other way around.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Whichever, make sure the windscreen wipers are set up to the correct side of steering wheel :xThumb:
Had many LHD in UK (not MoHo). No problems. When parking at the kerbside can be a benefit for LHD getting straight out onto the pavement. Passenger, erm.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
LHD for me. I've had plenty of LHD vehicles over the years, I reckon I did 150,000 miles in the UK in my last LHD car.
My Hymer is LHD, I find it really easy to drive here.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have done 9000 miles in Europ with a right hand drive Burstner A Class, find it ideal as the hab door is on the kerbside when stopping but find the red great on narrow roads so I can pull in close to the kerb or wall to let the obviously curious driver who don’t seem to realise how wide we are to pass without having to slow down or god forbid give way. But i you were solo it could be a problem overtaking.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fined LHD in the UK easier than RHD on the continent, BUT, that's with a co-pilot. If you can find a LHD wih a window on the right hand side behind the driving position, so much the better. I couldn't use our local LPG garage without somebody in thepassenger seat due to the very shallow exit onto a fast road.
I fitted a fresnel lens to the passenger window solves visability problems at junctions.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
When you buy it the seller will tell you it makes no difference, when you sell it you'll have to convince the buyer of the same. :D

Reality, I've had left hookers for years and don't even think about it. If the van you really want is LHD. don't worry about it, buy it (y)
I had a LHD for sale for a few months. Many popped into have a look, saw the wheel on the left and, well, left.

I had some silly offers on it, La Strada Nova M, £60,000. Terry from Torquay pi55ed me about something shameful. Offered £42,000 in the end.

Then, someone who desperately wanted a LHD turned up, paid asking price with a trade in that my mate sold on.

I still have a LHD And would always try to by one. We spend more time on the continent and I prefer it here in the UK too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back