Reversing camera - help needed please. (1 Viewer)

RKDT Riggers

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ace Adventurer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. We have just bought an ace adventurer with fitted in rear camera, I assume I was fitted at manufacture. It has the Blaupunkt Sat nav with it, which is still working as a sat nav, but when we put it into reverse, theres just no picture, sat nan just stays on. Checked connection at camera and at reverse light, and tried plugging AV cable into TV to see if a picture comes up on there, and it doesnt. Looked at buying a new kit to just use camera, but the connector is like a 6 pin with a slot in middle, and it looks like the ones you can buy have 4 pins. I have looked at buying a wireless one, but that still needs wiring to a reverse light, and since we already have all that done and we have no idea what we are doing re electrics, it doesnt seem like the ideal solution. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you for reading.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
if it looks like this it’s a waeco cable and you can get adaptors If required. BROKEN LINK
964FA676-5840-4BAF-BCD4-B58C623F2C3D.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Check first that one of the pins in the cable plug / socket at the camera end has +12v on it with the van in Reverse with the ignition on. If the supply from the reverse circuit isn't reaching the camera you won't get a picture.

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I cannot vouch for this, although I am seriously thinking of giving it a try, as no wiring required!

My can had a totally useless reversing camera, simply points down right at the back of the van and about as much use as a chocolate teacup!

I am told it is not possible to replace it with a twin camera, am am thinking of the camera in this link to act as a rear view mirror while driving and leave my existing one just for the 'whats right behind me' times when reversing!

Robin

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
I cannot vouch for this, although I am seriously thinking of giving it a try, as no wiring required!

My can had a totally useless reversing camera, simply points down right at the back of the van and about as much use as a chocolate teacup!

I am told it is not possible to replace it with a twin camera, am am thinking of the camera in this link to act as a rear view mirror while driving and leave my existing one just for the 'whats right behind me' times when reversing!

Robin
Given that it charges off a USB-A connection, likely at 5V/1A, it will either take an age and a day to charge up, or have a tiny battery. The tech specs don't give any indication of how long the battery lasts. I'd say not long if using as a rear view mirror replacement!

OP
OP
R

RKDT Riggers

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ace Adventurer
Exp
I'm a newbie
if it looks like this it’s a waeco cable and you can get adaptors If required. BROKEN LINK
View attachment 401916
The Camera side looks like this, it has a plastic pin/bit in middle. Is that the same thing. I have just bought a connector to put on the end attached to the van and I can put a USB into it, I'm hoping I can get a camera with a USB cable????

Attachments

• 20200626_175941.jpg
    20200626_175941.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
R

RKDT Riggers

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ace Adventurer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Check first that one of the pins in the cable plug / socket at the camera end has +12v on it with the van in Reverse with the ignition on. If the supply from the reverse circuit isn't reaching the camera you won't get a picture.
So I need to test if power is going to the camera first? I have bought a thing that turns van end into a usb, so if I plug anything (phone charger and phone for example) into that usb and go into reverse with ignition on, I will see if theres power going to it.....will I? 🙈

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Use a multimeter to check that one of the pins to which the camera connects has power (+12v). It doesn't matter from a testing point of view which pin you find it on. If you don't have a meter it's worth buying one - it will be useful in future.

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Given that it charges off a USB-A connection, likely at 5V/1A, it will either take an age and a day to charge up, or have a tiny battery. The tech specs don't give any indication of how long the battery lasts. I'd say not long if using as a rear view mirror replacement!

According to the website it last for 6 hours!

OP
OP
R

RKDT Riggers

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ace Adventurer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Use a multimeter to check that one of the pins to which the camera connects has power (+12v). It doesn't matter from a testing point of view which pin you find it on. If you don't have a meter it's worth buying one - it will be useful in future.
Fab. I bet my father in law already has one. Thank you.

OP
OP
R

RKDT Riggers

Free Member
Jun 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ace Adventurer
Exp
I'm a newbie
YES! We have power to the camera, only when reverse light is on, which suggests all the wiring is ok I think. Thank you!! So would you think the problem is the camera itself? And if so, how on earth do I find a replacement with a 6 pin cable? Thanks.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
One of our rear cameras was playing up last year, traced it to one of the cable connections above the head lining had come a bit loose, pushed it back together all good.
Later while sorting another issue unrelated to the cameras found a whole bundle of cables running aft which must be camera cables cable tied together, so we have a more than one length of cable so possible connection problems elsewhere at some point!

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
RKDT Riggers

It looks like an old PS2 style connector on you camera.

Have a look here or speak to them regarding adaptors to fit different styles of camera connectors.

Have a read of CAB99 it should give you an insight......

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back