Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Could anyone who has one of these accounts please advise on the following.Whats the best way to get your hands on your holiday euros?Do you use the exchange option and collect when you are over there?Or do you withdraw them before you go?The exchange rate appears to be far better than what you can get at travel age etc but is there hidden charges I am not seeing?Thank you in advance for any help.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You draw out the euros etc in the country you are in at the time. It doesnt matter if you have forgotten to convert your sterling into euros before you go to the ATM in France for instance. It will do it there and then at that momements interbank rate. Lots of us keep an eye on exchange rates and convert from sterling into euros or dollars when the exchange rate is good but you don't have to. There are loads of threads about Revolut.

Most of us love it. There are just a few concerns because it is Russian owned so they know where you are etc but for most of us it doesnt really matter.

You manage it via an app on your phone, easy peasy. Monzo and Starling are good as well mind you and I don't think are Russian. I have them all but like Revolut the best but don't tell my daughter in the foreign office!

No hidden charges.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes as Carolyn said just change as & when or just paying using it. & if the rate goes sky high then change to them & keep on the card. You can have various different currencies you have changed to held on the account all at once.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Top-up the card in £’s using the App then you can either exchange it within the App to € (or whatever) that way you will get a better rate than the PO/Bank/supermarket or travel agent will give you.
Then use the card like a normal debit card or withdraw cash from an ATM in France.
I use the Credit Agricole Bank ATMs.
I use it in UK too as it only holds the money I want to put on it so if someone gets their mits on it they can only spend what I’ve put on it, they don’t have access to my millions!!! Ha, ha!
Within the App you can block/unblock the card, and check you PIN number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You can draw out £200 worth without any fees but any more than that they charge a small fee, can't remember exactly but it's about 2%, it's not a hidden charge.

Sorry, I should have added without any fees.(y)

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
You can also do free foreign currency transfers with the Revolut card, handy for paying deposits to foreign sites and hotels.
You can also set up an exchange once the currency rate reaches a preset amount.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I have Monzo and like it a lot, but as I now live in France technically I am not supposed to be using it - I still have my Boatmail address registered with them, even though I don't use Boatmail now. I suppose I could use my brother's address.

But anyway... Monzo differs from Revolut in that you only have a sterling balance, and when you use it at a supermarket in France for example, you pay in Euros and it converts automatically at that point.

My question is, if you have forgotten to put something on your Revolut Euros balance, when you get to the checkout, can you still use it like Monzo, pay in Euros, and Revolut will automatically convert the required sterling to euros at that point?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You can only withdraw £200 euros a month from the card.

Not quite correct Sir...

You can only draw £200 cash FRER every month... more than that you pay 2%... I have never needed more than €200 in cash per month as I use the card to pay for 95% of my purchases.

EDIT

Sorry... missed your second post...

JJ :cool:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have Monzo and like it a lot, but as I now live in France technically I am not supposed to be using it - I still have my Boatmail address registered with them, even though I don't use Boatmail now. I suppose I could use my brother's address.

But anyway... Monzo differs from Revolut in that you only have a sterling balance, and when you use it at a supermarket in France for example, you pay in Euros and it converts automatically at that point.

My question is, if you have forgotten to put something on your Revolut Euros balance, when you get to the checkout, can you still use it like Monzo, pay in Euros, and Revolut will automatically convert the required sterling to euros at that point?
Yes

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am now busy shopping in Bath so refer all further questions re Revolut to @JJ although he is a bit slow this morning !

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Be aware!

Because Revolut is backed by Russian money the EU are considering withdrawing their licence.

It hasn’t happened yet but is under consideration.

Source:- article in Daily Telegraph, 24th April! 2019

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am now busy shopping in Bath so refer all further questions re Revolut to @JJ although he is a bit slow this morning
If you are in Bath, don't forget to go on the Bizarre Bath Comedy Walk...

www.bizarrebath.co.uk

JJ :cool:
We were so worn out shopping and talking that we have now gone home. I see it doesn't start until 8pm , I will definitely look at going with Nick as it looks right up our street whereas shopping with my old school friend Sally is more of a grumpy old women afair!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Be aware!

Because Revolut is backed by Russian money the EU are considering withdrawing their licence.

It hasn’t happened yet but is under consideration.

Source:- article in Daily Telegraph, 24th April! 2019
They didn't have a banking licence until recently (late 2018). So as I've been with them for some years it wasn't a problem before?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
They didn't have a banking licence until recently (late 2018). So as I've been with them for some years it wasn't a problem before?
Fine. If you are happy but I felt some people might like the info if they didn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back