LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got the usual joints across the roof of our Auto-trail that are covered \ sealed by a "D" shaped strip. My understanding is there is a metal base fixed to the roof and then this is covered by the "D" strip stuck down by a proprietary adhesive, eg Sikaflex, etc.

1613496409282.png

This sealant \ adhesive is showing the usual discolouration (black mould) and wear as it's pushing on 8 years old and was thinking how best to reseal. The joints are not leaking but given the potential life expectancy of sealants don't want to wait until they maybe do.

I've previously done some of the other seals between the cab and body joints by raking out and refilling with sealant however don't reallly fancy doing that across the full roof and I'm unsure if I'll get a proper job done under \ against the curved "D" strip.

I have seen some Funsters recommending Eternabond tape (3" \ 4" wide) and was thinking would this be a suitable \ sensible option to, basically cover the existing cover strip with about 1" projection either side.

What's the thoughts of the experts?

In addition, how "white" is this tape and does it "tone down" after exposure?

ps I know the roof is bogging but it has been washed a few times since then!:RollEyes:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I don't know if white eternabond exists??? But a lot of rather good motorhomes use this tape with a tin foil?? On one side---- IMHO it is incredibly good and really durable--- much better put on when warm , it is more flexible and sticks like you wouldn't believe------ but clean roof thoroughly with a good degreaser /wax remover to give it the best chance of being a one- time fix------ use something like a hard wallpaper seam roller to really press it down

Upvote 0

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
Here's a few pics of mine. Had it sealed by a local mh repair shop by me. Not sure what they used but it might give you an idea.

20210217_135842.jpg 20210217_135853.jpg 20210217_135900.jpg

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back