Repurposing a Satellite Positioner (1 Viewer)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The Amazon delivery man let me down today so I spent a happy hour or two dismantling my ancient German made satellite positioner to see what else I could salvage from the rusty lump, and after much hammering, sawing and lubrication - me and it both- I now have two beautiful precision made worms and wheels, complete with tiny thrust bearings, one large SKF taper roller bearing, and two 40mm ball races, all in pristine condition as these things were not meant to run continuously! The two Bosch wiper motors work as well...
:)

Chinese equivalents are on ebay for tuppence, but I doubt that they would match these for quality! Now, I wonder what I could do with them? Clean(ish) suggestions?

20210327_162458.jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
How many teeth are there on the wheels ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like 30 and 60, about par for the course if working in degrees!
I did wonder that ! I made a simple dividing head using a 60 tooth worm and wheel, does away with needing a hole plate, especially for hexagons and three hole pcd's compared to the standard 40 tooth setup. (y)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Very similar build to my Antarion, years ago it seized in azimuth I took it off the roof to scrap it but when I saw the build quality I refurbished it with new Fag bearings, the drive block assembly was milled stainless so built like the proverbial Brick S**t House. Later I converted it to a quad Lnb. Still going strong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back