Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
On the van at present I have 220 watts of solar via a cheap Chinese solar controller direct to 300 a/h of batterys.
I am thinking of changing the controller for a Victron mppt 75/15 amp controller, not knowing a lot about controllers and the benefits this type of controller gives, I would appreciate advice.
I notice they also can come with built in bluetooth, I presume I can access this through my phone, what info. does the unit give.
Thanks
Charlie

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi @Top Hat you off to Beni Soon?
I fitted the Victron Energy Smart 75/15 amp Controller with built in Bluetooth recently and its a great piece of kit. Once you have downloaded Victrom app to your phone and paired it with the controller (which must be easy as I did it) then you are off!
Saved me having to buy and install the separate Victron solar meter and the 5mtr lead to supply it from the controller.
Once you turn the app on your phone, and chosen the victron app, it connects and shows the current power voltage/current from the solar panel, along with the peak power achieved during the day, and voltage from the leisure batts.
You then select the history tab top right and it gives you your charge history achieved over last 30 days.
Dont hesitate just buy it, really good kit with all three stages of charge from Bulk to float etc.
Good luck.
Les

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think the victron is the only one that can run a fridge if enough solar coming in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The Victron as Lenny has mentioned does not charge the cab battery which didn't put me off as I realised that in the dark winter months solar power would be diminished anyway. I simply bought the Battery Master linking between the leisure and cab batteries, so that all three batteries are balanced out, which helps considerably if you cannot park at home and therefore storing the van in a storage facility with no EHU.
Les

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Victron as Lenny has mentioned does not charge the cab battery which didn't put me off as I realised that in the dark winter months solar power would be diminished anyway. I simply bought the Battery Master linking between the leisure and cab batteries, so that all three batteries are balanced out, which helps considerably if you cannot park at home and therefore storing the van in a storage facility with no EHU.
Les
This is also the way I would go, we have the CBE CSB2 which put solar or any charge source to the the starter battery but the solar does not always take it to preset trigger level, different I guess if the Solar regulator sends a constant trickle.

We use the Votronic as well and like it.

Martin

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
The fixing of the new controller should be straight farward, same place as the old one so straight swap.
I read on here that the solar panel should be disconnected first from the controller before the battery is disconnected and opposite way on reconnection to the new controller, the battery first before the panel.

Charlie

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The fixing of the new controller should be straight farward, same place as the old one so straight swap.
I read on here that the solar panel should be disconnected first from the controller before the battery is disconnected and opposite way on reconnection to the new controller, the battery first before the panel.

Charlie
Battery to the controller first so then a 12/24volt auto sensing controller can work out what it is connected to (that's what I read anyway and it seems to make sense) I made the solar connection at night but nor sure that matters as long as you dont short the panel out before connecting.

Martin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I changed our solar controller and just put a thick rug over the panel so there was no power coming into the controller when I changed it over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back