Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
On our recent trip, the leisure battery in our 1999 Hymer B534 started to not hold much charge. Now home, I've removed the seat to get at the battery so I can assess what to replace it with - slightly surprised to see it's an AGM (Inovtech Power Line 83Ah). Our charger is an EBL4-105, which doesn't seem to have an AGM setting.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Varta LFD90, which has almost exactly the same dimensions. Presumably I'm OK to do this, even though it's not AGM, as the EBL4 wouldn't have been working correctly with the AGM anyway?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Best but buy from a dealer with a good turnover, not a MH dealer.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
On our recent trip, the leisure battery in our 1999 Hymer B534 started to not hold much charge. Now home, I've removed the seat to get at the battery so I can assess what to replace it with - slightly surprised to see it's an AGM (Inovtech Power Line 83Ah). Our charger is an EBL4-105, which doesn't seem to have an AGM setting.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Varta LFD90, which has almost exactly the same dimensions. Presumably I'm OK to do this, even though it's not AGM, as the EBL4 wouldn't have been working correctly with the AGM anyway?
Steve, the EBL4-105 does have a Gel setting, which is activated by a tiny recessed slide switch on the underside of the charger. You will need something small to move the switch. Mine was on the Gel setting when we first got the MH, which was causing problems with the batteries, as they were FLA, not Gel. I switched it back, and have been using sealed FLAs for starting, and open FLA Traction for leisure.

Do you have a Sterling B2B charging unit installed. That has a AGM setting.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Steve, the EBL4-105 does have a Gel setting, which is activated by a tiny recessed slide switch on the underside of the charger. You will need something small to move the switch.
Well, so it does! Many thanks.

I don't have a B2B fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Alternatively you could fit an 80a/h Gel (which will give more useable capacity than the LDF) a Gel would have been the original Hymer fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back