renew driving licence for 4.5 ton Hymer ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2016
Hereford UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
since 2005
this is all new to me, not sure at all,, I have a Mercedes Hymer MH, 4 1/2 ton, I renewed my licence 3 years ago turning 70, had to take a medical as well as an eye test costing for both app £150.00. I have tried to renew again as my licence runs out in May 2020. I tried on line but not possible, has to be done by post, contacted Swansea, they are not sending out forms due to corona virus, tried to phone - impossible, tried to email - no response, do I really need to have a special licence for 4.1/2 ton or is it only for 7.1/2 ton, or is there a way I am missing ? any help please, getting desperate. bill (sandancer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have to have a C1 for over 3500 kg, providing you have applied for the license you can carry on driving under section 88.
If you use one of the drivers medical companies (some have reopened now) not only will it be a lot cheaper £55 most of them carry the D4, You should be able to get the D2 from a main Post Office.

My wife applied for hers 5 weeks ago, still showing up online as expired.
My 70th is the end of May I got the forms and had a medical a few days before the lockdown, just got to post them.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
See the post from Malcolm Bolt he has recently applied and used a mobile doc.
Once you apply you can see your result on line, assuming you are clear of any medical issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
mercedes vario youngs con
Exp
have good look on dvla website i m sure it says they are renewing for 12 month inc ci with out medical because of corona
If you’re 45 or over
Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence.
If your application is successful, you’ll get a 1 year licence.
Before your licence runs out, DVLA will send you an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ form (D47P).
Complete the form and send it to D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
have good look on dvla website i m sure it says they are renewing for 12 month inc ci with out medical because of corona
If you’re 45 or over
Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence.
Before your licence runs out, DVLA will send you an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ form (D47P).
As far as I can make out that only applies to commercial drivers i.e. HGV & Bus drivers.

Deleted User
If you’re 45 or over

Specifically excludes C1 licence holders who obtained it through grandfather rights, ie pre 1997, 101 code on licence.

Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
Exp
Missed that then where is it on dvla as i am 70 in four months
This notice does not apply to any application to renew small lorry (C1) and minibus (D1 (101)) entitlements included on car licences issued before 1997.

Any driver who has already obtained a D4 can still submit this with their application. A licence issued in such cases would be valid for the usual full term that applies.

0.1 Explanation
Regulation 10(5) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 provides that an applicant for a Group 2 (lorry or bus) licence shall, if required to do so by the Secretary of State, submit in support of his application a report (in such form as the Secretary of State may require) signed by a qualified medical practitioner. The current form is the D4 and the Secretary of State has decided to suspend its requirement for the time being.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2012
banks
Funster No
MH
Exp
I am 70 in september so about to renew but no medicals available du to virus and dvla say medicals suspended
c1 is a group 2 7.5 ton can you tell me where the info is on dvla site is
0.1 Explanation
Regulation 10(5) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 provides that an applicant for a Group 2 (lorry or bus) licence shall, if required to do so by the Secretary of State, submit in support of his application a report (in such form as the Secretary of State may require) signed by a qualified medical practitioner. The current form is the D4 and the Secretary of State has decided to suspend its requirement for the time being.

this is all i can find

Deleted User
I am 70 in september so about to renew but no medicals available du to virus and dvla say medicals suspended
c1 is a group 2 7.5 ton can you tell me where the info is on dvla site is
0.1 Explanation

this is all i can find
Look on the thread by Malcolm Bolt regarding the same subject, he copied the relevent section from the Gov website.
If you can find somewhere to get the medical done then you can still apply in the normal way.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Google 'Driver medicals Hereford'. I have just done it and there seem to be availability.

Screenshot_20200429-212401_Chrome.jpg

Hope this helps.

George Thomas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2018
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f 2006
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Malcolm - you made it all very clear. I uprated our Motorhome last year & I am 70 in August so need to hold onto my grandfathers rights C1. Have written to DVLA asking them to confirm procedure but no response - should have asked you instead. Thanks again George

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
DVLA sent me a reminder about three months before my 70th birthday (that's end of May).
Because I waited until last week to send my forms I also had to send a photo as it was within 56 days of renewal date. I dont know why but if I had done it earlier a photo would not have been required.
In three years time I intend to target 80 - 70 days before due date.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I thought you only had to send a photo if your current licence wasn't a photo licence.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
My understanding from what I read in the application notes is that if you have a digital passport you don't need a photo unless it is closer than 56 days to renewal date. I can't see the reasons behind this requirement.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
DVLA sent me a reminder about three months before my 70th birthday (that's end of May).
Because I waited until last week to send my forms I also had to send a photo as it was within 56 days of renewal date. I dont know why but if I had done it earlier a photo would not have been required.
In three years time I intend to target 80 - 70 days before due date.
Did you therefore have a medical and submitted a D4?

Dec 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking atm.
I surrendered my HGV licence last year ( C+E class 1 ) but still retained under grandfather rights 7.5 ton licence..a friend told me that it will be taken off at next renewal IF i dont submit a D4 ( i am 75 yrs old )..i dont drive trucks for a living anymore..but am dreaming of winning the lottery ( aint we all ) so will need my C+E for my new American style motorhome RV.,i dont see any problems as i will have to have a medical ( form filling ) and i always have to take a treadmill test..the last time i failed it and had to take a heart scan instead..which according to the consultant is more productive..as a treadmill doesnt stress the heart..a scan also uses a drug to stress the heart so is more accurate, in his words, the treadmill shouldnt be used..wish me luck with my big win..lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back