Removing tv and sat dish (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
First job on the list when we pick up the van is removing the oe fitted TV from the cupboard where it sits and the sat dish off the roof. This should allow at least 6 more bottles of wine to be carried within the weight limit.

TV looks like a doddle but any tips on removing the sat dish? Thinking there may be cable holes to worry about.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought its probably bonded on too might not be very easy to get off. I m no expert but would get a small sheet of alloy fill the holes then bond it over with sikaflex . Before doing that make sure you don,t want the holes for cables for more solar etc.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
There will be holes left by the sat dish. If it’s an oyster you can get a cover plate from a supplier,if another make, don’t know.
If it were me I would wait and see what’s required then fill and cover the holes using silicone or sikaflex.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Might be worth seeing if its worth anything secondhand could at least cover those first few bottles!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Chances are that you might find its easily removed and you can just leave the fizing brackets on the van roof. Same with rhe cable fixing, leave it on if you can?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any tips on removing the sat dish? Thinking there may be cable holes to worry about.

Hardest thing I've ever done - removing the huge plate that was sikaflexed onto the roof.

I used a combination of vibrating cutter ( only the first inch ) then windscreen cheese wire cutter and a hacksaw blade. It took days of sweat. Roof was scratched to hell but I just sprayed that.

Filling a hole is nothing.

I removed mine to fit solar.

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Hardest thing I've ever done - removing the huge plate that was sikaflexed onto the roof.

I used a combination of vibrating cutter ( only the first inch ) then windscreen cheese wire cutter and a hacksaw blade. It took days of sweat. Roof was scratched to hell but I just sprayed that.

oh dear. Then again, I do like a challenge :unsure:.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I removed our roof aerial. Holes were covered by the 4G antenna for the MiFi.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

If it's an alloy plate heat helps. Drive plastic wedges (or kitchen spatulas if you're brave) around the edges. Heat the plate as evenly as you can. Once off use a very sharp 1" or larger wood chisel to lift the adhesive from the roof. Rounding the corners of the chisel avoids scratches..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Once off use a very sharp 1" or larger wood chisel to lift the adhesive from the roof.

Once off it's easy. Vibrating cutter with chisel cutter and the remainder of the glue flies off but by that time the roof is already a mess. Ours is under the solar so does not matter.

He might be lucky, it might be screwed down.

This is a prime example of why the people in here who say sikaflex roof lights down are giving such bad advice.

• Informative
Reactions: GPW
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Once off it's easy. Vibrating cutter with chisel cutter and the remainder of the glue flies off but by that time the roof is already a mess. Ours is under the solar so does not matter.

He might be lucky, it might be screwed down.

This is a prime example of why the people in here who say sikaflex roof lights down are giving such bad advice.
I tried the multi-tool but found it difficult to avoid marking the roof - I was removing aluminium angle used as solar panel brackets. The wood chisel was pretty quick because with care it was possible to just skim the roof. It had to be razor sharp though.

You're definitely correct about Sikaflex and rooflights. (And windows and doors and lockers :)).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was removing aluminium angle used as solar panel brackets.

This mounting plate was in another league. Over a foot square and zig-zagged over the whole area with sikaflex. After the first inch or so all I could do was wedge it open a bit and start sawing with the windscreen ( cheese ) cutter. All the time thinking "if this wire breaks I'm off here". The sikaflex just grabbed the wire and a lot of the time all I could do was a sort of jerking/snatching motion.

I pondered on heat but gave up thinking a foot square and at least 6mm thick I would have achieved nothing, I may have been wrong.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You are better off getting a very long bladed craft knife and lubricating the blade, also as mentioned, slide in a scraper, or similar to pull the joint open slightly and stop the blade being gripped.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This mounting plate was in another league. Over a foot square and zig-zagged over the whole area with sikaflex. After the first inch or so all I could do was wedge it open a bit and start sawing with the windscreen ( cheese ) cutter. All the time thinking "if this wire breaks I'm off here". The sikaflex just grabbed the wire and a lot of the time all I could do was a sort of jerking/snatching motion.

I pondered on heat but gave up thinking a foot square and at least 6mm thick I would have achieved nothing, I may have been wrong.
There's no good way to remove anything stuck with PU adhesive. I've had some success with WD40 as a cutting lubricant but it's still hard work. Heat does work but care is needed: contrary to common sense PU adhesive conducts heat rather well so it's a bit of a delicate balance between enough to affect the adhesion but not quite enough to damage the roof.

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Thanks to all the posts above - very useful info. Sounds like a big task but I'm not too bothered if I have to leave the mounting plate on - still have plenty of space for additional solar.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
You could take off the dish and replace it with a 50w solar panel which could then be faced towards the sun. Kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
If you think that's genius, why not just lower the actual van off of the dish...
(y)
Also, did you know that a man can actually destroy Sikaflex, just by drinking. It can take weeks though, try it and see, the wife will be completely impressed.:)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Most Dealers take the Satellite off the roof and leave the aluminium base plate on the roof.
Base plates can usually be bought elsewhere. I took a Sat base plate off once. Sikaflex bonded. Took Me 3 hours after work. Prise, tap a scraper, prise tap a scraper, prise tap a scraper { repeat }.
The scraper cuts through the sikaflex, prising allows the scraper in more.
I removed an Oyster base plate to fit a different type of satelite. Should have just angle grinded the base plate raised studs off and just fitted on top of that with another base plate.
It's a killer job avoid at all costs.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
We have an old Oyster on our MH, haven't used it in the 5 years we've had the van because it's the old 3 zone control box. Oyster want £500.00 for the upgrade box (and that's the special offer price) otherwise over £800.00........not gonna happen just to watch the usual rubbish.
We've been lugging the dish around for years and now it's time to do what I suggested above, I've found an 80 watt panel that fits the same space as the dish, ours is 85cm, couldnt find a round panel so close to square will have to do. Going to make it track the sun too with the help of an electronics whizz friend of mine. ?
Will post a thread when it's done in case anyone else wants to try it.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We have an old Oyster on our MH, haven't used it in the 5 years we've had the van because it's the old 3 zone control box. Oyster want £500.00 for the upgrade box (and that's the special offer price) otherwise over £800.00........not gonna happen just to watch the usual rubbish.
We've been lugging the dish around for years and now it's time to do what I suggested above, I've found an 80 watt panel that fits the same space as the dish, ours is 85cm, couldnt find a round panel so close to square will have to do. Going to make it track the sun too with the help of an electronics whizz friend of mine. ?
Will post a thread when it's done in case anyone else wants to try it.
I know this is an old thread so apologies if things have moved on, but did you ever sort the roof would love photos..

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Cheers, it was an outside punt... gotta stop reading the forum all times of day and night!!!

Nov 17, 2022
Knaresborough, UK
Funster No
MH
R0mett@
Exp
Romahome c15 2004 rebody since 2014
Came foul of the height restricted car park. I have a hitop with a extra vestigial appendage TV antenna in the middle of the roof. It has been to bludgeon its way into the multi story since before my time. There's a puddle where it has caved the roof in which drains onto the beds
😱😱😱. Is it time I handed in the towel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back