Removing the smell of dog from the upholstery (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2019
St Ives Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LP
Exp
New to this stuff
Just joined and before we head off anywhere we need to get rid of the smell of dog from the upholstery. I am thinking that steam cleaner hire might be the only option. Has anyone experienced this and solved the problem? Thank you

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You could try this but you have to get it wet then let it dry out
20191110_210327.jpg

From most pet shops .And it works

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Combination of things worked in our MH.
Removed all covers we could and washed.
Took all carpets and cushions we could outsdie and steamed them and gave a generous, vigourous rub.
Then steamed all the upholstery that isn't easily removable along with the roof liner inside.
Used the foaming stuff sprayed on the front seats and rear carpets.
Then cheapo version of fabreeze and a good mild detergent/disenfectant on all hard surfaces. It was a lot of elbow grease but appears to have worked.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
This is the reason I would never ever buy a second hand MH that has had dogs in it, I personally don't think you can ever totally get rid of the smell but I wish you luck

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Have never looked but can you unzip the upholstery and put it in the washing machine if it's fabric

OP
OP
Eggchaser62
Nov 10, 2019
St Ives Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LP
Exp
New to this stuff
Combination of things worked in our MH.
Removed all covers we could and washed.
Took all carpets and cushions we could outsdie and steamed them and gave a generous, vigourous rub.
Then steamed all the upholstery that isn't easily removable along with the roof liner inside.
Used the foaming stuff sprayed on the front seats and rear carpets.
Then cheapo version of fabreeze and a good mild detergent/disenfectant on all hard surfaces. It was a lot of elbow grease but appears to have worked.
Cheery Jev, thanks for all your help today. Great to see you & Karen ??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Vax type shampoo machine might work.

We have a dog but also covers for everywhere the dog might go. These are washed regularly, every 7 to 10 days on a trip and the surfaces vacuum cleaned every day. We use a Gtech mini now, much better than the Dyson we had before.

And regularly washing the dog helps too. :)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Hire a hot water extraction machine that has an upholstery tool and follow the instructions but before you do buy some of this and use it as directed.

Then make Sure you dry at as quick as possible using fan heaters or whatever or the bacteria will start to smell again.

OP
OP
Eggchaser62
Nov 10, 2019
St Ives Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LP
Exp
New to this stuff

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
First cheapest and easiest thing to try is bicarb.
Remove any zipped covers and wash. As long as the foam is covered in a fixed cotton cover ( which it should be and for home furnishings this would be the fire retardant layer, don’t know if regs are the same for motorhome) As long as it’s cotton sprinkle generously with bicarbonate of soda ( £1 a box in Wilco) Gently brush it across the surface and leave for 12-24 hours then vacuum away. This may well be enough to remove the smell. If it doesn’t I’d go with either a special ‘dog smell’ remover or febreze or oust.

You can use bicarbonate on the carpets too if necessary. Only thing is it clogs up filter on your vacuum but as long as you can swap filters you’ll be ok

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Foam type upholstery cleaner rather than soaking the fabric.

Reactions: DBK

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
foaming upholstery cleaner, but if really bad, pay a car valeter to professionally steam them. Will cost £30 - £50 but will come up like new other than any worn areas

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
The foam is wet and penetrates the material but doesn't soak the sponges etc.
For grubby seats that can be removed and jet washed eg, Sprinter Cab Seats, I have done lots.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Yes but this is about dog smell , not grubby seats.
Will a foam cleaner get rid of the oily lanolin bacterial smell of dog on synthetic fibre?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is the reason I would never ever buy a second hand MH that has had dogs in it, I personally don't think you can ever totally get rid of the smell but I wish you luck
As nearly all used motorhomes are advertised as having no pets, and we know a large number, if not the majority of motorhomers have dogs, someone may be being economical with the truth.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Above is link for enzyme cleaning products, they are spray on and leave to dry naturally
I have used them at work, nursing home and at home , puppy accidents, they are very very good
All different products for different situations
Reasonably priced
Good luck
Nikki

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have a dog and she is banned from sofas, chairs and beds.
Dogs are dogs! Not sure that helps really!
As regards your upholstery, if you’ve tried everything, perhaps new covers is the answer.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I didn't even look at your avatar to see it was you! ?
P.s. I have an old steamer you can try - let me know and can drop off. It's a steam generator rather than a proper carpet or upholstery washer like you can hire at supermarket. You will need your own cloth to wrap around the steam head, available in cheap jumbo bags on eBay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back