Removing shadow from old signage. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My boxer van, which I am converting, had one former keeper before me. They were a conservatory / window company.

The old signage and logos have been removed. However, in some light conditions, you can still see the shadow of logos and signage. There was once a butterfly on the side, which is visible only in bright sun.

It doesn't bother me all that much, but I might as well have a go at removing / reducing it.

My instinct is to break out the T-cut and a rag. But is there a better product or method?

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
We have a similar problem & after 7 years not found a Good solution. I’ve got used to it now & hardly notice, except as you say in certain angles & light. Or when the vans really dirty.
some I’ve covered with vinyl wrap.
Hey ho

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Valeters use something called 'Tar and Glue'.
Whatever you use wear suitable solvent safe safety gloves and goggles.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
I used meths, then used it to rub off an old decal! Boom boom, I'm here all week, try the beef! It worked very well, you can only see a very bare residual image in bright light if you know what to look for. I reckon that's more to do with discolouration of the remaining panel that was never covered by a decal...

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Do let us know what you use. The daft woman who had my car before me had Mickey Mouse stickers put all over it, and I’ve never got round to taking them off because I’m worried about residual marks.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve used a rotary rubber toothed wheel in a battery drill for the little decals. This also works for Most sealant.
amazon or eBay for @£6. Didn’t mark the paint either.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
If the decal has been fully removed then it will just be the paintwork that’s needs bringing back with t cut and polish. I assume the bit behind the old decal is the brightest part and most of the vehicle is slightly dull requiring restoration to match.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks for all help and advice. Polished out very well in the end. No shadow or patches remain.

Quick, lightly pressed going over with the drill attachment dampened with T-cut and buffed off with an old rag.

Looks very good. For now...

Photo below. I couldn't catch the shadow of the butterfly, company name and number in the side. Must have been the reflection. It was obvious IRL. Showed up on the bonnet in photos better for a before and after shot.

Bye, bye, butterfly. 🦋 👍 🙂

CollageMaker_20210322_140911474.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back