Removing fuse to the OBD port (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst looking at the various solutions to protecting the OBD port on here and elsewhere, I've seen someone suggest removing the fuse to the OBD port until needed.

This seems a cracking idea.

Any reason why it wouldn't be a good idea and, before I go digging around, anyone know where the fuse is on a 2023 Ducato based vehicle?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Right the idea may not be relevant to the OP but is it relevant usefull to others.
Where is fuse on older ducatos?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not sure if it's relevant to Fiat Ducatos. But the latest theft method with some brands of cars is to pop the headlight off. On some models, the lights are connected to the canbus, so jumper in two wires to a smartphone and you've got full control of the car. Bypassing any security gateways, locks or fuses on the IBD2 port.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This is the reason why I'd never buy a new car! Nobody is interested in the old but comfortable, reliable and economical banger (not really) that I drive!

(Someone hit me in a carpark the other day whilst I was shopping. They left a note of name etc. but after a bit of elbow grease and T-Cut what was left didn't bother me. But a garage/insurance claim would have written the car off!)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm not sure if it's relevant to Fiat Ducatos. But the latest theft method with some brands of cars is to pop the headlight off. On some models, the lights are connected to the canbus, so jumper in two wires to a smartphone and you've got full control of the car. Bypassing any security gateways, locks or fuses on the IBD2 port.
I don't think that would work on x290s on especialy with the SGW as part of the BCM all comms are filtered by the BCM. i am currently trying to revearse engineer the Fiat codes myself. Easy enough to read the can bus but some stuff is encrypted. the Position of the Nodes in relation to each bus and each other makes remote access of certain nodes difficult/impossible/beyond me. All im trying to do is read not control. If anyone knows how to do this stuff contact me , i'm not afraid of being helped.
Screenshot(26).png

Mar 5, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo c540
Exp
Since 2012
I don't think that would work on x290s on especialy with the SGW as part of the BCM all comms are filtered by the BCM. i am currently trying to revearse engineer the Fiat codes myself. Easy enough to read the can bus but some stuff is encrypted. the Position of the Nodes in relation to each bus and each other makes remote access of certain nodes difficult/impossible/beyond me. All im trying to do is read not control. If anyone knows how to do this stuff contact me , i'm not afraid of being helped.
View attachment 843192
very technical but very interesting, hopefully you get sorted. 👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
View attachment 843192
For many vehicles, the CAN is split into segments with gateways between. And for many, only the OBD2 port seems to have all the security measures... which is now causing additional issues when thieves find new ways to tap in. It looks like Fiat made a wiser decision on this point (although it may have been for other reasons).

Incidentally, did you know that many pure EVs don't have an OBD2 port? Although it's functionality has massively increased, OBD2 is a legal requirement for exhaust emissions reasons. So BEVs don't legally require one. And some manufacturers have instead put in their own ports with their own protocols.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Why not just use an OBD port safe?
That would seem far more sensible than publishing it on here.
Sometimes I think we can be far too trusting?

Just remember, all the paid up members can PM each other with information.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That would seem far more sensible than publishing it on here.
Sometimes I think we can be far too trusting?
Absolutely as soon as one knows the whole will know how to access the system, I reckon the odb safe is ‘good enough’ to stop an average thief.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Incidentally, did you know that many pure EVs don't have an OBD2 port? Although it's functionality has massively increased, OBD2 is a legal requirement for exhaust emissions reasons. So BEVs don't legally require one. And some manufacturers have instead put in their own ports with their own protocols.
Yes i did know and read that the authorities in states aint happy with Tesla and there are discussions ongoing. Precisely what the issue is i dont know. i read the sentance and thought do i need to remember this (as with everthing i read), answer no.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes i did know and read that the authorities in states aint happy with Tesla and there are discussions ongoing. Precisely what the issue is i dont know. i read the sentance and thought do i need to remember this (as with everthing i read), answer no.
OBD started off as a way to ensure emissions equipment was functional. But it's become an all-vehicle diagnosis system that was at least partially commonly compatible. But the way it works is very antiquated.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
You can get dummy obd ports that you fit in place of the real thing, they offer a 12 volt supply but no comms confusing the casual thief. If you want to use the real obd you just pull on the dummy cable and the real one drops down.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
OBD2 is a legal requirement for exhaust emissions reasons. So BEVs don't legally require one.
They do in the uk/EU regardless of whether they have any emissions. C&U & EU directives. Rules are rules

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back