Remove/Replace Xzent F-270 satnav/head unit? (1 Viewer)

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Hi,

Brand new to Motorhoming (having decided tent camping just isn't comfortable enough any more), we just took delivery of a Benivan 120 a couple of weeks back. Still getting used to the new van and liking most things so far, but the Xzent satnav/radio is a bit of a disappointment to be honest :( It's too slow to start up, too slow to respond to things like selecting radio or moving around the UI and the satnav part seems truly glacial. I'd much rather have a head unit that responds quickly, and has Android auto for google maps rather than built in satnav.

That brings two questions...

1) Does anyone know how to remove the Xzent head unit? I'd like to have a look behind to see what space is available and what the wiring looks like. I can't see any visible fixings or holes for release 'keys' - the unit can be wobbled a bit, but I'm reluctant to simply pull in case there is some trick I am missing :)

2) Any recommendations for replacement head units - doesn't need to be too fancy, but needs to respond fast, have DAB and Android Auto and be compatible with the reversing camera and steering wheel controls. Physical buttons/knobs for volume, on/off etc would be a preference, but not essential.

cheers,

Robin

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
You should have been given two silver removal tools which slide into the thin slots on the front of the unit in a small plastic bag with all of your other manuals.

You might need to cut off all of the connecting blocks as I don't think they're compatible with other head units plus the camera is hardwired into the larger block on the rear rather than have a separate plug in.

Ours was a bit slow until the unit had the update and that seems to speed things up no end. The sat nav works fine now but we still use our Aguri unit too. I think the mirror antenna on the pre 2022 Fiats is a bit hit & miss on DAB, one of the reasons why many of the facelifted Series 8 for 2022 have an external antenna.

Many opt for the Pioneer AVH Z3200DAB and a separate motorhome specific sat nav.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Hi,

thanks, I had a dig around in the paperwork and bits that came with the van and no release keys. However your post prompted me to poke around the edges of the screen - the only gap is underneath and after some jiggling and poking with a thick feeler gauge the screen came out.

There's a bit of a rats nest of cabling back there, but at least some of them are labelled, which helps and I wonder if the brown and black blocks visible at the back right might be standard ISO connectors - I will investigate that further in daylight.

PXL_20211013_170048277.jpg

I pushed the screen back in again and then really had trouble getting it out the second time until I worked out the trick. No need for keys or feeler gauges at all - simply push down on the top of the screen at the front, which disengages the top catches, then it slides out very easily.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Pioneer - as far as I can see that model supports Apple Car Play, but not Android Auto. The next model up does both (weird... usually it's the Apple things that cost more ;) ). Not sure that I am worried about a separate sat nav - I've found Google Maps navigation to be excellent, and since we are only a 6m PVC you can go almost anywhere a car can.

cheers,

Robin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back