Remote fob locking and unlocking (2 Viewers)

Jul 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone,

Background
I'm nearly finished with my DIY Ford Transit 2010 SWB conversion. On the first iteration I had a futon bed behind the 3 front sets that would extend towards the back. When the futon was down, I could squeeze in the front between the chairs and lock the van using the door controls. That setup wasn't very practical as a camper van, there wasn't much space for other stuff and under the bed storage was really hard to access.

So we changed it. Now the bed is moved at the rear doors (blocking them for normal entry/exit when not extended, but allowing a lot of space thought the side door). The kitchen unit (a cupboard with some workspace, sink, and soon to be installed gas cooker) is now behind the chairs. I can't squeeze in the front anymore - I might be able to reach the lock button(s) with a stick or really awkward stretch but that's terrible.

The even worse thing is that you can't really get out of the van through the back if it's locked unless you unlock it first (from the front). Seems really dangerous to me. If there's a fire or a break-in I'm pretty much done.

What I'm trying to do
So I don't have a lot of money to spend on this. I just realised the van probably doesn't have remote central locking, but does have central locking with the lock buttons on the doors on the inside or key on driver's door - double unlock to unlock the back with the key.

I have a key fob that the van seller gave me. He said it wasn't programmed and I didn't know better then... But I think the van really does't have remote locking. I tried turning the thing with turning the ignition 8 times (that I read about in many websites and saw in videos) but nothing. The doors don't lock/unlock.

I need a way to lock and unlock the van from the back. Any ideas?

Can I install a remote locking system? Are those stupidly expensive?

Can I at least add a physical lock/unlock button in the back somehow?

What are my options? Was anyone in this situation?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a £10 remote central locking upgrade kit would give you 2 remote fobs. about 5 wires to fit by the drivers door. check out ebay for all manner of kits

or piggyback the front central locking switch run to a switch by side door. loads more work and similar parts cost

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As above, upgrade kit.
I fitted one to my Toyota Camry which had central locking but no fobs.
Once I figured out if it was Pos (+) or Neg (-) triggered, the instructions explained how, it was an easy job inside the front door.
Just connect into the existing wiring to the lock solenoid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You mention three front seats. Is it worth considering replacing the twin passenger seats with a single seat or even better, a single captains seat that will turn through 180°.

This would free up much more room and give access to the cab as well ?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
What year is your transit? Mine was 06 and that had a fob. I programmed a new fob easily, have you looked at some you tube videos? I can't remember which buttons on the remote needed to be pushed but I think it was 2 in a set order,and if you have more than.1 fob they have to be done.at the same time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back