Relatively mild prang against a low post has meant catastrophe for my 2004 Hymer B584... (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think everyone is assuming that French insurance works the same way as it does here but I've got no idea how they go on with claims or categories of vehicles repaired after an accident or write off. I think here if a garage found corrosion when looking at an accident repair it would certainly affect the valuation of the vehicle for insurance purposes and the amount paid if it was written off.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Would that then affect the future resale value if the OP ever wanted to get rid/change vans etc
What would the Motorhome be listed on the paperwork as?
You are right Paul. It's very regulated on the continent - France and Spain in particular, and I simply don't know the system well enough to take risks. My instinct is to take what the insurer will pay out for original damage repair (some 10000-11000) and then find a business buyer (motorhome dealer/repairer) to take her off my hands. Under the law here, I cannot piece her out myself if that is what it comes down to - it MUST be sold to a professional if it is declared undriveable/dangerous. So that brings me back to my original query - I wonder what it would be worth in her present condition so I don't necessarily jump at the first ridiculous offer?
Going to shop around for business buyers today and put it out there.

As a side note, I see I have finally made it onto FUN'S weekly top posts! Lol!!! Well-worth writing her off...:LOL::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
You are right Paul. It's very regulated on the continent - France and Spain in particular, and I simply don't know the system well enough to take risks. My instinct is to take what the insurer will pay out for original damage repair (some 10000-11000) and then find a business buyer (motorhome dealer/repairer) to take her off my hands. Under the law here, I cannot piece her out myself if that is what it comes down to - it MUST be sold to a professional if it is declared undriveable/dangerous. So that brings me back to my original query - I wonder what it would be worth in her present condition so I don't necessarily jump at the first ridiculous offer?
Going to shop around for business buyers today and put it out there.

As a side note, I see I have finally made it onto FUN'S weekly top posts! Lol!!! Well-worth writing her off...:LOL::cry:

Sorry to hear about this very stressful situation. Difficult enough to deal with such an event in your native tongue and even moreso abroad. Best if luck for a decent outcome

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2008
If the insurance repairers are not prepared to repair it, it must be, to the insurers, classed as a 'write off'.
Is it possible to claim the write off value, then buy the vehicle back and sell it on as parts or get it repaired? 🤔
I would advise don’t get it written off as that will drastically reduce the future value.
Ask for a payment in lieu of repairs as you need to find an alternative repairer due to time constraints.
Get the damage and rust repaired then you would be free to drive on and enjoy yourself.

Oct 3, 2012
Lochcarron, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanway
Exp
Having been in the accident repair business I concur what Little Bovey says. I did several customers cars this way with s/h parts to reduce costs and enable the vehicles to remain on the road. At the time there was no need for any write off classification on the log book.
Best of luck.
Rob

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Having been in the accident repair business I concur what Little Bovey says. I did several customers cars this way with s/h parts to reduce costs and enable the vehicles to remain on the road. At the time there was no need for any write off classification on the log book.
Best of luck.
Rob
Thanks Rob - at the moment, it will all depend on how expensive it will be to repair rust, straighten the supposedly bent frame, and then add the original repairs, parts and paint. The shop says completely uneconomical to repair, then very difficult to sell on later if I want. Need to find a diamond local in the know to help, but not so easy. Will update when there is some action.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Thanks Rob - at the moment, it will all depend on how expensive it will be to repair rust, straighten the supposedly bent frame, and then add the original repairs, parts and paint. The shop says completely uneconomical to repair, then very difficult to sell on later if I want. Need to find a diamond local in the know to help, but not so easy. Insurerer has NOT offered write off so far - only 9000 euro. Will update when there is some action.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
I have done a lot of chassis repairs over the years, without a strip down it is hard to be certain the extent of the damage.

BUT, sticking my neck on what I can see, I would guess looking at the area of impact any damage to the chassis will where the cross member has “pulled in” the legs due to the nearly central damage.

in most instances reversing this impact, I.e. pulling the cross member back will fix the issues with the legs.

The rust is another issue, and probably more of a concern than the accident repair (subject to strip down) but either way both are fixable.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I have done a lot of chassis repairs over the years, without a strip down it is hard to be certain the extent of the damage.

BUT, sticking my neck on what I can see, I would guess looking at the area of impact any damage to the chassis will where the cross member has “pulled in” the legs due to the nearly central damage.

in most instances reversing this impact, I.e. pulling the cross member back will fix the issues with the legs.

The rust is another issue, and probably more of a concern than the accident repair (subject to strip down) but either way both are fixable.
Thank you very much for taking time to reply, and for your expertise!
Hehe - in my frustration, I've been researching how to use a come-along and sorting that part myself. Of course that's a really dumb idea, but I am in a kind of stress-induced, hallucinating state at the moment :sneaky:. And yes, instinct says the rust will be a deal-breaker (if I ever GET a final deal). This is why I'm hoping for a write-off and settlement now after the repairer has rescinded their original quote to the insurer. Just want to move on. If the insurer sticks with the 9-11 grand, I will look into all other options.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Is the base vehicle a Fiat ? I am assuming it is, and assume it is same as the Boxer (free to be corrected) if it is one of the main areas of corrosion are the leg ends where the cross member bolts on.

this is a fairly easy area to repair, then bolt on a New Cross member which relatively inexpensive.

If it was me I would get a detailed report on the corrosion first, the accident repair is easily fixable.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Is the base vehicle a Fiat ? I am assuming it is, and assume it is same as the Boxer (free to be corrected) if it is one of the main areas of corrosion are the leg ends where the cross member bolts on.

this is a fairly easy area to repair, then bolt on a New Cross member which relatively inexpensive.

If it was me I would get a detailed report on the corrosion first, the accident repair is easily fixable.
It's a good ole Fiat Alko chassis. I bought the van in Normandy 3 years ago, so came from a wet place. Last controle technique in April mentioned surface rust in the front but nothing drastic. Some of the photos this repairer has shown me shows perforating rust spots. He says if they straighten it, it will all fall to pieces. Must get those photos tomorrow and post here.
Wish I could just drive it up to Blighty and get it sorted there!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The alko chassis is from the cab back. |Under the bonnet is fiat/peugeot. Yes please to seeing those rust photos. It is very common for the front cross member/radiator support to rust through. The leg ends are made of much thicker steel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back