Recommendations for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all
I have just joined and I'm looking for some views/advise on buying a motorhome.
I know this might open the floodgates but here goes ......
My partner and I are looking for our first motorhome.
We only need a 2-3 berth and don't want a camper van, we prefer the space in a MH. However we would prefer a smaller size MH as we may be visiting areas with narrow lanes.
We are planning to spend up to a month at a time in the MH, mainly in the UK and probably spring to autumn only.
Budget wise we are talking about £20k.
We would like something reliable, relatively low mileage and easy to maintain, doesn't everyone :)
We won't be towing anything but will probably take 2 bikes with us so would prefer to have the HAB door on the side not at the end.
Not sure of the benefits or otherwise of having a kitchen in the middle or at the end and also don't know which makes of MH are more reliable/easy to maintain.
Any views/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Get a Rapido..........I did, never looked back! Mines a 786F (Fiat). Very well made compared to some modern equivalents. There’s no such thing as a perfect moho,you will have a compromise somewhere. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome! Take a look at the Marquis Majestic range, based on Elddis vans - we’ve had two (120 &155), and they are keenly priced with good specifications. Go to a Marquis dealership and take a look to see if anything suits.......

(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest downloading the Motorhome Buyers Guide - it's in Resources. You can download it for free if you become a Full paying member for £15 for the year. I think you can buy it but not sure how much.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
welcome to the funhouse ,,,,

you really need to scour the web, ebay, autotrader etc and start to look at layouts and try to work out which best meets your needs. the most important thing for us, was not having to make up a bed everynight, so a fixed bed was top of the list, followed by a few other needs, then wants, likes and would likes. make a spreadsheet covering all those aspects and work from there. it might sound a bit pretentious to do a spreadsheet, but when youre spending 20k it makes perfect sense !

in terms of designs, there seems to be hundreds, but there arent, sure some vans are different, but the reality is they can probably fit into a dozen or so layouts (if that many!) vehicle shape (front end) is usually determined by age or style - A class, coachbuilt, low profile etc as is colour - MH's used to be predominantly white but new cab colours seem to be coming out every few years or so.

so do your research before you do your leg work !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

NobbyB

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner Levanto
Exp
Since 2003
Greetings and welcome. I'm not much newer than you. Motorhome's are all very personal and as said above there is usually compromise required. We collect ours on Saturday having upgraded from wobble box -I like that- to Camper for the last 4 yrs to Motorhome. I didn't want an over cab bed but we've got one. We did want a fixed bed and that's a tick, we've two. Time will tell. We spent months researching and more recently searching. First trip is booked but we'll fit in weekends too. Go to a big retailer so there's plenty of variety to check and note down your needs / nice to haves etc. I hope you get your requirements narrowed down and something bought before prices rise as the weather improves.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back