Free Member
Sep 28, 2021
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since 2016
We are just back from 18 nights away. Annoyingly the rear view camera died on day 3. I emailed the company (echomaster) who said it could be due to the reversing light blowing, (it wasn't) or the connections coming loose. I then emailed SMC Newark where we had the motorhome from to ask if I could take it in for the connections to be checked but they said when cameras fail there is nothing they can do to repair it & it will need a whole new system wiring in costing around £840.

Is this the going rate? Does anyone know a company in the Lincs/Notts/Derbys area that don't charge the earth? I am not able to do the work myself.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
my auto sleeper Reversing camera fogged up and I’ve replaced it with a completely wireless number plate camera,instead of putting it on the numberplate I’ve clipped it to the blind inside the back window and it’s perfect. I think it was £136
Got a link? 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TinSte

TinSte

Free Member
Sep 28, 2021
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since 2016
my auto sleeper Reversing camera fogged up and I’ve replaced it with a completely wireless number plate camera,instead of putting it on the numberplate I’ve clipped it to the blind inside the back window and it’s perfect. I think it was £136
We don't have a back window so unfortunately that wont work for us. Good idea though.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I would try and find where the wiring enters the back of the van, make sure you have power to it.you could also try with the ignition on and in reverse no need to start the engine. When dark you should be able to see the infrared if you cant try looking through you phones camera ours detects the infrared when not visible this would tell you if you have power there.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
We are just back from 18 nights away. Annoyingly the rear view camera died on day 3. I emailed the company (echomaster) who said it could be due to the reversing light blowing, (it wasn't) or the connections coming loose. I then emailed SMC Newark where we had the motorhome from to ask if I could take it in for the connections to be checked but they said when cameras fail there is nothing they can do to repair it & it will need a whole new system wiring in costing around £840.

Is this the going rate? Does anyone know a company in the Lincs/Notts/Derbys area that don't charge the earth? I am not able to do the work myself.
Might be more for a 'van but I got two quotes last year around 500 for a totally new integrated system (using the vehicle's own existing dashboard screen) in a Land Rover by googling 'reversing camera Nottingham'
I didn't use them in the end due to change of vehicle but details below might help.
You've looked into DiY things from ebay? I used one with great results for around £30.00 total on my last 'van.
https://www.carelectronicsnottingham.co.uk/contact-us

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Got a link? 👍
Got a link? 👍

IMG_3679.png

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At Motorhome shows, the going rate for reversing cameras is around £350, plus £100 fitting if you can get them to do it while there. Prices may have gone up a tad but this is what they were asking a couple of years ago when I was looking.
At every show there is almost always the same man selling a variety of cameras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
My camera also packed in it was tested and camera shot, there is firm in Ramsgate that will fit any camera and alter the wiring plug on the camera too suit the original wiring where it connects at the rear of the motorhome, can't remember their name. I wasn't paying 450:00 to match the existing camera alas I haven't had it done yet. Bill

Upvote 1
Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
I've got one of these no wiring necessary takes 10 minutes to fit and works well, you can also activate when not reversing if you need to check who's behind you etc.

Upvote 1
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Most properly fitted reverse cameras show the rear of the van as well as a shortish amount directly behind you, which enables you to accurately reverse up to an obstacle. Just a rearward view not so much use on a motorhome.

Upvote 1
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Can you provide a link please. I'm interested in this for myself.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019

If you decide to replace your rear view camera, I am using this AUTO-VOX V5
Amazing bit of kit and incredible value for money. I fitted mine (Ducato) and it took about an hour and was pretty straightforward
"AUTO-VOX V5 Mirror Dash Cam 1080P Dual Dash Cam Front and Rear with Night Vision, Sepcial for RHD Cars, 9.35'' Full Touch Screen Rear View Mirror with Reversing Camera, Parking Mode, GPS Tracking"

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
My camera also packed in it was tested and camera shot, there is firm in Ramsgate that will fit any camera and alter the wiring plug on the camera too suit the original wiring where it connects at the rear of the motorhome, can't remember their name. I wasn't paying 450:00 to match the existing camera alas I haven't had it done yet. Bill
Parkingcameras, Ramsgate. A very helpful bloke. I got a replacement down-looking camera of a Swift pair + 6/4 pin adapter and replaced it myself.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
I've got one of these no wiring necessary takes 10 minutes to fit and works well, you can also activate when not reversing if you need to check who's behind you etc.
I’ve also fitted the Autovox Wireless system back and front as shown in post #19 using the number plate mounting as supplied for both. Still have the original Moho camera at high-level but I wanted something at the back to show around towbar level. Works great and fitted both last October and batteries still showing half full. Gave the both a quick charge yesterday with a battery usb power pack. as going away soon. As said above, simple button on the cigarette lighter power supply to switch on at anytime and a button on monitor to switch between front and rear view. I went to the local supermarket car park to adjust them how I wanted and now parking is super accurate front and rear. Never had any issue with wireless connection since fitting.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
My rear view camera has two sets of joints, one which is in the shower room cupboard at the back of the van of the van the other is in the headliner. the viewing monitor is attached to the rear view mirror and the the wire is ran straight into the headliner which is were I had my problem a quick solder to a joint and bobs your uncle.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Maybe not for you but I've been using the Autovox Solar Powered Reversing Camera. I got the previous version which is camera above reg plate, tiny solar panel below reg plate, screen on dash connected to 12V. No other wires. The latest version has camera and solar panel together above reg. I charged the camera fully indoors before installing it and the solar panel is supposed to keep it topped up. Working fine so far. I didn't pay the full price of £136 (at the time) and found one unused on ebay and got it for £80. I have the camera that came with the motorhome but it's this camera gives a much clearer picture of what's happening behind me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Maybe not for you but I've been using the Autovox Solar Powered Reversing Camera. Camera above reg plate, tiny solar panel below reg plate, screen on dash connected to 12V. No other wires. I charged the camera fully indoors before installing it and the solar panel is supposed to keep it topped up. Working fine so far. I didn't pay the full price of £136 (at the time) and found one unused on ebay and got it for £80. I have the camera that came with the motorhome but it's this camera gives a much clearer picture of what's happening behind me.
I'm puzzled about one thing with those, how is it easy to remove for recharging (which it says you might do annually) but not easy to steal?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm puzzled about one thing with those, how is it easy to remove for recharging (which it says you might do annually) but not easy to steal?
Well, you can recharge it where it sits with a battery pack. The other option is to unscrew the reg plate and take the whole lot indoors for charging. I have the previous version which is a bit different but still the same principle.

I suppose you could steal it but you'd have to have the screen to make it worth your while.

1680770991431.png

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Well, you can recharge it where it sits with a battery pack. The other option is to unscrew the reg plate and take the whole lot indoors for charging. I have the previous version which is a bit different but still the same principle.

I suppose you could steal it but you'd have to have the screen to make it worth your while.

View attachment 735984
Ah, got it now, thank you.

Upvote 0

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Maybe not for you but I've been using the Autovox Solar Powered Reversing Camera. I got the previous version which is camera above reg plate, tiny solar panel below reg plate, screen on dash connected to 12V. No other wires. The latest version has camera and solar panel together above reg. I charged the camera fully indoors before installing it and the solar panel is supposed to keep it topped up. Working fine so far. I didn't pay the full price of £136 (at the time) and found one unused on ebay and got it for £80. I have the camera that came with the motorhome but it's this camera gives a much clearer picture of what's happening behind me.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2023
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift bessacarr 599
Exp
Since 2002

Do you have a reset button, I had the same and reset it

Upvote 0

Phil.G.

Free Member
Apr 7, 2023
Funster No
MH

Hi
Thats is outrageous 😳 the rear camera will have a push on connector where it goes into the back of your vehicle. Should be an easy fit, get the part number just change the camera.
Ebay !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back