Rear speaker wiring in PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I want to fit rear speakers AFAIK the wiring plug at the back of the head unit looks to be wired up. Does anyone know where I can find the other ends?
Or do I just chop them and wire from scratch?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I think that will vary massively between different brands of van? My rear speakers are wired to front so I have no fade! Lazy job by previous owner or manufacturers.
I say wire frof scratch with better cable and never have to do it again

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our Rapido pvc came with rear speakers fitted from new, so can't offer much advice - sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
If it's a Ducato/Boxer/Relay base vehicle, they *might* be in the bottom of the driver's side B pillar - the smaller, white, 6 way connector here:

IMG_3444.JPG

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Where were the rear speakers? If jezport has got blanks the wires might be there.
Not sure if it helps? Same on the other side of the van.
IMG_20190430_194956432.jpg

Last edited:

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Think it may be the 6 pin plug

If the ‘Converter’s socket’ is fitted, yes that’s it. If the 6 pin plug isn’t there, then I think the wires terminate in a multiway connector under the offside dash somewhere. There’s an ebay seller that does the matching 6 way connector - let me know if you want details.

On another topic, does your radio currently show a front/rear fader? It so, you’re probably OK.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If the ‘Converter’s socket’ is fitted, yes that’s it. If the 6 pin plug isn’t there, then I think the wires terminate in a multiway connector under the offside dash somewhere. There’s an ebay seller that does the matching 6 way connector - let me know if you want details.

On another topic, does your radio currently show a front/rear fader? It so, you’re probably OK.

Yes, can you let me know the ebay seller please

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If your radio displays the front/rear fader option in the balance control it has been enabled by Fiat for rear speaker configuration and the wiring should terminate in the speaker connector at the conversion socket as already mentioned.

If you only have a balance control showing on the radio, the speaker configuration has to be reprogrammed through the body computer to enable them.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If your radio displays the front/rear fader option in the balance control it has been enabled by Fiat for rear speaker configuration and the wiring should terminate in the speaker connector at the conversion socket as already mentioned.

If you only have a balance control showing on the radio, the speaker configuration has to be reprogrammed through the body computer to enable them.
My Radio is not a Fiat its a Kenwood

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
My Radio is not a Fiat its a Kenwood

Then all bets are off and the otherothe of the rear speaker cables could be anywhere, depending on what the fitter did with them! If you're lucky they may have used the Fiat conversion socket connector if it's there. Either follow the loom or do a continuity test between the radio connection and the conversion socket.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
OK the socket is there and wired at the B pillar. Its also wired at the rear of the radio so im pretty sure I just need to plug into the B pillar with my speakers.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It seems pin 2345 for speakers, Pin1 for perm +ve for radio if cab perm +ve is isolated and pin 6 is spare

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
This might help (y)

Attachments

• Upfit Audio - Rear Speaker Prep.pdf
    309.1 KB · Views: 251
OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive now connected the plug to the 6 pin socket and run speaker wire up to overcab area.
Ive tested it is working using some speakers, just need to decide where I will fit the speakers. I have some JBL 3 way 6x9s but may go for some smaller ones once I decide where they are going.

Loved the 6x9s when I had them in my car, lots of bass and good top end too. But they may look a bit big.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Folks

Thanks for the info
Pair of rear speakers fitted today
They are currently fitted to the grills on the back of the front seat bases nicely hidden and out of harms way.
They are not big enough to make the seat vibrate but seem to do the job needed :whistle2:
I will see how I like them there .
Option two could be the rear door pillars as Mikebeaches but getting the cables fed round to there is more than a five minute job

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
Thanks all
This has helped me immensely. I was looking down the barrel at the complexity of getting behind the dash. Plug ordered just need to find some speakers and I can drown out the kids in the back ?

Fisherprice

Free Member
Nov 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
DUCATO Louis Mcglyn
Folks

Thanks for the info
Pair of rear speakers fitted today
They are currently fitted to the grills on the back of the front seat bases nicely hidden and out of harms way.
They are not big enough to make the seat vibrate but seem to do the job needed :whistle2:
I will see how I like them there .
Option two could be the rear door pillars as Mikebeaches but getting the cables fed round to there is more than a five minute job
I’ve just bought a 2005 DUCATO and I found some door converters that screw into the space where the small pocket goes at the front of the door. I checked behind the panel and there is an aperture behind in the steel door with a speaker wire waiting to be used I checked this and it’s connected to the radio and works. It looks like all you need to do is make a hole in the door card
Result 👍
Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back