Real Spain? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Where and what is it?.

We were queuing to board our flight yesterday, Alicante - Manchester. When two older couples struck up a conversation. One I guess they would not have started elsewhere.

The Subject came on to where they are from, where they live etc.

Couple A claimed to Live in "Real Spain" Their "Real Spain" Was up a mountain in NW Murcia, Water well, they built it or had it built 15 years ago. lots of trees, blah blah, she, the boss, fluent in Spanish. Him having to rely on her for translation.

Couple B's "Real Spain" was in the Campo of Alicante. 90% Spanish population, they had land, dogs etc.

When we boarded, we heard the same "Real Spain" being pointed out to crew and other passengers by Couple A. Who we had the misfortune of being sat within earshot. In went my earphones.

It reminded me of a day earlier when we had visited Benidorm. We went for a meal in one of the nice Hotels on the sea front. We heard several other couples version of "Real Spain'. One couple, retirees from Wales who ran a hotel themselves, In South Wales (think that might be real Wales too). Getting out just before the internet. Told of their €4,000 pp annual contribution from the Spanish Government. They lived in the hills, also 90% Spanish Population with 24 hour doctor on call etc.

The Other couple they were relaying this too, also told of their "Real Spain". That they only come to Benidorm for Christmas every year and how it is not "Real Spain".

We find it all quite snobby really.

Do we inform the 1,000's of Spanish People when I walk from the car park in the Old Town, through Tapas Alley and along the sea front, they are not in Real Spain?.

When I talk of our second home in Javea that "Javea is only 40 mins from Benidorm but OH GOD! its nothing like Benidorm?. Or is Javea/Xabia also not Real Spain?.

What a load of old ****

Happy Christmas / Feliz Navidad

TM
From Real Manchester

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The locals here don't really care for real Spain ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Where and what is it?.

We were queuing to board our flight yesterday, Alicante - Manchester. When two older couples struck up a conversation. One I guess they would not have started elsewhere.

The Subject came on to where they are from, where they live etc.

Couple A claimed to Live in "Real Spain" Their "Real Spain" Was up a mountain in NW Murcia, Water well, they built it or had it built 15 years ago. lots of trees, blah blah, she, the boss, fluent in Spanish. Him having to rely on her for translation.

Couple B's "Real Spain" was in the Campo of Alicante. 90% Spanish population, they had land, dogs etc.

When we boarded, we heard the same "Real Spain" being pointed out to crew and other passengers by Couple A. Who we had the misfortune of being sat within earshot. In went my earphones.

It reminded me of a day earlier when we had visited Benidorm. We went for a meal in one of the nice Hotels on the sea front. We heard several other couples version of "Real Spain'. One couple, retirees from Wales who ran a hotel themselves, In South Wales (think that might be real Wales too). Getting out just before the internet. Told of their €4,000 pp annual contribution from the Spanish Government. They lived in the hills, also 90% Spanish Population with 24 hour doctor on call etc.

The Other couple they were relaying this too, also told of their "Real Spain". That they only come to Benidorm for Christmas every year and how it is not "Real Spain".

We find it all quite snobby really.

Do we inform the 1,000's of Spanish People when I walk from the car park in the Old Town, through Tapas Alley and along the sea front, they are not in Real Spain?.

When I talk of our second home in Javea that "Javea is only 40 mins from Benidorm but OH GOD! its nothing like Benidorm?. Or is Javea/Xabia also not Real Spain?.

What a load of old ****

Happy Christmas / Feliz Navidad

TM
From Real Manchester
Anywhere in Spain is real Spain,,thought Javea was home counties,,BUSBY,,

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As some know we have an apartment in Benidorm, some may say the centre of the tourist area.
However most of the tenants in our block are Spanish. Some are retired like my neighbour down from Madrid and living in the warmer climate and others who own family places and visit regular all year.
Spain is Spain I guess.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If its in Spain its real Spain,,its 2018 now,,Spain has moved on like everywhere else in the world from the 60s..Probably more brits and other foreigners own properties in Javea than do in Benidorm which is full of Spanish,, BUSBY:xgrin::xgrin:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I find it odd that so many people in different locations are discussing the same subject in such a short space of time. I don't believe this for a minute.
No,you'd be surprised .Once one starts then there are always others wanting to extol where they are is more 'real spain' than the others.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I find it odd that so many people in different locations are discussing the same subject in such a short space of time. I don't believe this for a minute.

Wot, in Alicante Airport and Benidorm?? No surprises from me.

Deleted User
We are spending Christmas in the camper at Seville, lots of tourists, lots of them Spanish, I call it Spain and it has changed tremendously in the 20 years we have been regular visitors.

Walked around the Plaza de Espana which has murals made of azulejos depicting most of the major cities in Spain and at a rough count we have visited well over half of them.

You can find real Spain anywhere if you look, it is where the Spanish are, in the Barrios, in the bars even in the tourist areas.

What a lot consider to be 'real' is a rural idyll that most of the population of any country do not live in.

Seville today:

IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We are spending Christmas in the camper at Seville, lots of tourists, lots of them Spanish, I call it Spain and it has changed tremendously in the 20 years we have been regular visitors.

Walked around the Plaza de Espana which has murals made of azulejos depicting most of the major cities in Spain and at a rough count we have visited well over half of them.

You can find real Spain anywhere if you look, it is where the Spanish are, in the Barrios, in the bars even in the tourist areas.

What a lot consider to be 'real' is a rural idyll that most of the population of any country do not live in.

Seville today:

View attachment 273637 View attachment 273638
Spanish love Benidorm,,BUSBY.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It happens all the time, lots of people where I come from in Yorkshire discuss it, the ''real Yorkshire'' they say is not the tourist brochure ''Heartbeat'' country, toffee nosed, rich, upper class country folk.
Get to the back street terrace West Yorkshire, old pit town slums and you'll find a much different Yorkshire.

I suppose people with Yorkshire holiday homes and holiday cottages will be talking about much the same, each to his own, get a life.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Slight correction if I may -

North Wales

is real Wales.

;):LOL::D2

Years ago wife had a welsh hairdresser working for her, one day as she was treating another welsh lady she mentioned this, only to be told, shes not welsh, she comes from south wales.:xrofl:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Nope, we don't. Is not real Spain at all.
But you are only one person,,Benidorm is booked solid with Spanish families at certain times of the year,,,BUSBY,,Do tell us what Real Spain is,,:D:D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it's like saying London or maybe Brighton is real England

Reactions: JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
But you are only one person,,Benidorm is booked solid with Spanish families at certain times of the year,,,BUSBY,,Do tell us what Real Spain is,,:D:D
no best we dont or every one will go there and spoil it.
benidorm was great in the early 60,s before it got flooded with tourists . nice bbq,s on the beach with local fishermens families . wasnt so much sand then it was brought in just for the tourists.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Millions of Brits flock to Blackpool, but that isn't real England.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back