LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Has anyone else subscribed to the Readly App being advertised at the moment on this site. I read a lot of magazines each month, as does my wife on a range of subjects and hobbies. We spend a fair amount either on cover price or subscriptions. So I took a look at it on App Store where the purchase price is £9.99 a month. read all the reviews which were very positive and decided to give it a go.
I took out the MotorhomeFun subscription for £7.99 and first month free and have only been using it for a week so far. I have to say I am amazed by it. It’s like Spotify for magazines and newspapers. There are literally thousands on there all with back issues. All the motorhome ones, landy, photography, cooking, gardening, ones I normally get, morning papers. You can set it up on 5 different devices for the one subscription, so both me and Mrs Norfolk have it on iPad and phone. For a family you could have one subscription and you could all have your own profile for your own magazines. It sets up favourites and alerts for new copies.
I really really am impressed With this. I am waiting for the catch. Doesn’t seem to be one yet. All this for £7.99 a month. Saved me a fortune.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Has anyone else subscribed to the Readly App being advertised at the moment on this site. I read a lot of magazines each month, as does my wife on a range of subjects and hobbies. We spend a fair amount either on cover price or subscriptions. So I took a look at it on App Store where the purchase price is £9.99 a month. read all the reviews which were very positive and decided to give it a go.
I took out the MotorhomeFun subscription for £7.99 and first month free and have only been using it for a week so far. I have to say I am amazed by it. It’s like Spotify for magazines and newspapers. There are literally thousands on there all with back issues. All the motorhome ones, landy, photography, cooking, gardening, ones I normally get, morning papers. You can set it up on 5 different devices for the one subscription, so both me and Mrs Norfolk have it on iPad and phone. For a family you could have one subscription and you could all have your own profile for your own magazines. It sets up favourites and alerts for new copies.
I really really am impressed With this. I am waiting for the catch. Doesn’t seem to be one yet. All this for £7.99 a month. Saved me a fortune.
Yes I have been subscribing for a few years now.

I don’t think there is a catch(y)

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Sounds good. My only reservation would be that its electronic so you end up looking at a screen for a lot more time? There's a lot of evidence around to suggest that, for example, using a screen (TV, laptop, phone etc) within an hour of going to bed can play havoc with sleeping patterns. On the other hand, think of all the trees you are saving, that can only be a good thing!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds good. My only reservation would be that its electronic so you end up looking at a screen for a lot more time? There's a lot of evidence around to suggest that, for example, using a screen (TV, laptop, phone etc) within an hour of going to bed can play havoc with sleeping patterns. On the other hand, think of all the trees you are saving, that can only be a good thing!
I've not seen any studies that compare sleep patterns after reading on a tablet compared to reading a book. Is it the blue light effect or just that your brain is active?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't see the adverts but they are offering 2 months free then £7.99 a month is that the same deal?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've not seen any studies that compare sleep patterns after reading on a tablet compared to reading a book. Is it the blue light effect or just that your brain is active?
Blue light stimulates your brain and suppresses the secretion of melatonin so sleep patterns are disrupted. Many devices have blue light filter options but screen users are still more likely to get poorer sleep and there are reports that it could lead to potentially significant health issues (eg cancer, diabetes, obesity).

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Have been using it for a while now. It’s a great way to read your favourite mags and not have hundreds of mags laying around. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Blue light stimulates your brain and suppresses the secretion of melatonin so sleep patterns are disrupted. Many devices have blue light filter options but screen users are still more likely to get poorer sleep and there are reports that it could lead to potentially significant health issues (eg cancer, diabetes, obesity).
I've seen those reports but none that compare people who are reading on a tablet to reading a book. I think the links to cancer diabetes etc are assuming that reduced sleep dur to blue light has the same effect as people who have reduced sleep due to shift work etc but they also have a different eating pattern and quite likely a different diet etc. I'm not convinced that the blue light effect has really been isolated from other factors.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We use it. It’s a great opportunity to try out mags I wouldn’t otherwise buy. And there are some very useful “specials” from time to time.
Thats not as bad as it sounds.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do have a professional interest as an optometrist for another few weeks a lot of spectacle lens manufacturers sell blue light blocking lenses said to improve sleep reduce the risk of macular degeneration cataracts etc. This is the college of optmetrists advice

Conclusions: We find a lack of high quality evidence to support using BB spectacle lenses for the general population to improve visual performance or sleep quality, alleviate eye fatigue or conserve macular health.

I'm not into being a snake oil salesman!

Sep 30, 2021
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Slightly off the subject, my wife subscribes to https://www.listening-books.org.uk/ this is a charity for providing audiobooks for disabled people. The range of books isn't as big as the likes of Audible, but you can browse what they have before signing up, she pays £20 per year for this.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I do have a professional interest as an optometrist for another few weeks a lot of spectacle lens manufacturers sell blue light blocking lenses said to improve sleep reduce the risk of macular degeneration cataracts etc. This is the college of optmetrists advice

Conclusions: We find a lack of high quality evidence to support using BB spectacle lenses for the general population to improve visual performance or sleep quality, alleviate eye fatigue or conserve macular health.

I'm not into being a snake oil salesman!

I do not know about the effectiveness of blue light lenses but I have had success with blue light filters on my pc, phone and tablets after I was routinely kept wide awake while marking onscreen into the evening.

There are debates about the impact of light on sleep but this is a good summary from Harvard (IMHO) https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I do not know about the effectiveness of blue light lenses but I have had success with blue light filters on my pc, phone and tablets after I was routinely kept wide awake while marking onscreen into the evening.

There are debates about the impact of light on sleep but this is a good summary from Harvard (IMHO) https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side
But there are also several views of the effect being overstated a study that did compare reading on a book and iPad found the ipad users took longer to fall asleep but only by 10 minutes. I think it's become a bit of a thing stated as a fact when the evidence isn't really there. The big con in my view is saying that blue blocking lenses affect macular degeneration etc. The amount of blue light from a screen compared to daylight is negligible

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But there are also several views of the effect being overstated a study that did compare reading on a book and iPad found the ipad users took longer to fall asleep but only by 10 minutes. I think it's become a bit of a thing stated as a fact when the evidence isn't really there. The big con in my view is saying that blue blocking lenses affect macular degeneration etc. The amount of blue light from a screen compared to daylight is negligible
This is your area of expertise. I can't comment much beyond the personal experiences that I've had when using devices at night: without the blue light filters or light adjusting apps, I would take much longer to fall asleep and would have poorer quality sleep than with them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would take much longer to fall asleep and would have poorer quality sleep than with them.

I spend a lot of time bathed in blue light. If I am worried about something, it might take me a whole two minutes to go to sleep, otherwise, it's quicker than that. :)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My phone has got a red light filter in screen settings, not noticeably different with it on all the time but you see it change when the phone boots up and it comes on.

There's also apps for it if your device hasn't got the feature 👍

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I think it's a debate that will go on for some time and a lot of work has been done in this area. Interesting podcast on the BBC, Life Scientific with a guy call Derk-Jan Dijk, a professor of sleep and physiology. The conversation about light and sleep starts at 14:30 mins

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This is your area of expertise. I can't comment much beyond the personal experiences that I've had when using devices at night: without the blue light filters or light adjusting apps, I would take much longer to fall asleep and would have poorer quality sleep than with them.
I think if it works great and you don't really need to know why. But if I was going to recommend something in my professional capacity I think I really need some evidence or say that it might help but theres no proof. Its a bit like tinted lenses for dyslexia .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think if it works great and you don't really need to know why. But if I was going to recommend something in my professional capacity I think I really need some evidence or say that it might help but theres no proof. Its a bit like tinted lenses for dyslexia .
Again, I'm not an expert on eyes etc as you are but screen and lens colours for dyslexia / irlens is something I've worked with for several students and it appears that overlay colours are very personal and valuable to many folk. The dyslexia association and NHS endorse / recognise them but I do not know about proof or otherwise.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
I don't see the adverts but they are offering 2 months free then £7.99 a month is that the same deal?
The adverts are on a pop up that scrolls through on right hand side of the screen. Has practical motorhome on it. One month free then £7.99, no contract.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I spend a lot of time bathed in blue light. If I am worried about something, it might take me a whole two minutes to go to sleep, otherwise, it's quicker than that. :)
It effects different people in different ways but many are impacted negatively. Hence the recommendation to use blue light filter apps etc when using electronic devices at night.

OP
OP
Norfolk Nige

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Doesn’t appear to stop me dropping off to sleep ok. At night. Perhaps its the knowledge I have just saved myself £50 a month that helps me to doze off with a smile on my face.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a free 6, week trial came from a Lidl cereal packet, only read one or two mags. Prefer reading on my Kindle.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I love Readly. Along with Spotify, I use it a lot. The craft, music and cookery magazines are great for me.
I love that the search function enables me to search every magazine, as well as all previous issues.
Magazines can also be downloaded and read when off line and there isn’t a contract, you can cancel at anytime.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have just saved myself £50 a month ......
o_O
I can't remember the last time I bought, read or viewed online a newspaper or magazine. It must have been 15 years ago. The ones I've seen in the dentist's waiting room have been 75% adverts or advertorial.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back